Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Advice

Default Re: General Advice

I thought of the automatic direct debit thing which most of the utility companies used

Maybe i should have said it's a bank transfer where the customer can set it up to pay regular amount at set times or transfer the money each time you do a job at same or different amounts.
    They still need a account number and BSB from you for it to work

I do have some customers paid by bank transfer already but they do live around here.
    this one is the owner lives in Adelaide and won't be in Melbourne for 1 year and asked me to do 3 weekly mowing

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    I do have some customers paid by bank transfer already but they do live around here.
    this one is the owner lives in Adelaide and won't be in Melbourne for 1 year and asked me to do 3 weekly mowing
    only payment before start work send him invoice day or 2 before you start when you see $$$ go and do job ...

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

If the client is interstate or overseas I get them to prepay each cut by electronic transfer. No work until payment is in my bank. Some clients feel this is a pain paying each one individually and end up prepaying 5 cuts at a time. Even if a regular client is going on extended leave and says they'll fix you me up when they get back, I tell them they can prepay before they go. Why should I be put out. Cashflow is vital.

We pre-pay at Macca's eh?

good point. Will ask if they willing to do it. If not, then we won't do it

Someone who lives in Adelaide asked me to do his house 3 weekly. He asked me to get the key for his house. Any advice in regards to payment thing? Seems dodgy
    Trust your gut - but consider why it is you are unsure about them....
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Someone who lives in Adelaide asked me to do his house 3 weekly. He asked me to get the key for his house. Any advice in regards to payment thing? Seems dodgy
    You have his mobile - enter it into WhoCalledMe, Should I Answer, Reverse Australia and any other your can find in Google to see what comes up.
    You might find his name, or number attached to a business, confirming his ID and perhaps any record of complaints.

Ask for his email. Invoice immediately on completion with your bank details and terms (7 days/due immediately - whatever) AND instruct them to use as description their surname and invoice number - to help identify who made the deposit.
    Your email with invoice might also include a couple of date-stamped photos to prove you did the work you are billing for and reassure that his property is being well cared for - clients love that when they are away.
    Don't do another service until previous is paid.

Direct debit requires arrangement with a provider - such as EziDebit. There are fees, and a few days clearance. I use this - but required client to fill out a form - either paper, or online.
    You could try for a credit card merchant facility. With a bank, set up fees, equipment hire fees, monthly fees - but low commissions. With others, such as SqaureUp - no set up fees (just a $20 card reader that attaches to smart phone) and a free App, no monthly fees, exit fees - but a 2.2% commission on settles sales.

Suggest bank transfer is works very well - and is FREE. Again, don't do another service until previous is paid.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12