Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

  1. #1
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    With recent talk of contractors being injured or sick should we or can we set up a help registra to help.
    I know of two groups that offer this service one being a franchise where you can't work and someone or a few will take a share of your customers while your recovering.

    Last year a bloke i know almost died and was off work for 7 months and if it wasn't for someone else taking over the whole round he would have lost his 12 year old business.
    I'm surprised nothing like this isn't already running,the only thing you have to do is put up your username state and suburb showing you'll take on there jobs until they're well enough to resume work.

    If you are busy maybe you could take 10 or 15 clients while someone else takes some to help out.

    Lets get some positive discussions going in making it work.. ->Your thoughts ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member 4 Gardens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calwell ACT
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Sounds like a great idea

    Obviously some things to work out between the parties involved

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    With recent talk of contractors being injured or sick should we or can we set up a help registra to help.
    I know of two groups that offer this service one being a franchise where you can't work and someone or a few will take a share of your customers while your recovering.

    Last year a bloke i know almost died and was off work for 7 months and if it wasn't for someone else taking over the whole round he would have lost his 12 year old business.
    I'm surprised nothing like this isn't already running,the only thing you have to do is put up your username state and suburb showing you'll take on there jobs until they're well enough to resume work.

    If you are busy maybe you could take 10 or 15 clients while someone else takes some to help out.

    Lets get some positive discussions going in making it work.. ->Your thoughts ?
    It's certainly something that could work BUT it would take a lot of work to get it up and running.
    Some people are a bit precious about working in THEIR suburbs. How would you go looking after their clients.

    Saying that if anyone in Melbourne wants to get something going I would be in!!
    http://www.southeastmowing.com.au
    Mob: 0423 091 182


    http://www.southeast-mowing.com.au
    Mob: 0411 040 026


    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing

    http://www.secmelbourne.com.au


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  4. #4
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,115

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    l'm sure this has happened/discussed here in years past......




    http://www.curraronglawnsngarden.com/

    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  5. #5
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,581

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Pretty sure this was something that INDY tried offering when it 1st started but fell by the wayside due to lack of "give a stuff" by the members
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  6. #6
    Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Victor Harbor, SA
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Really comes down to networking your fellow contractors in your own area. Get to know them and you'll find the ones you could trust not to steal or lose your jobs. I know ALMA in Adelaide had a plan for sickness and that setup would work well in built up areas, but outside of these metro areas who could you call on. I think the nearest indi located to me, active on this forum would be Beetle and would not expect him to travel 100kms to cover my work. So I best be friendly to my fellow local Lawnies.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    If you couldn't find anyone local i'd be able to give you a full day Friday & Saturday.leave here at 7.30 be cutting the first job at 8.30..The business is too valuable to be losing customers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Victor Harbor, SA
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Thanks Beetle for the offer, but like I said I wouldn't have someone go to that much trouble. I've networked a few local lawnies that I keep in contact with. Have weekly coffee's with some, and that we help each other out on occasion.

  9. #9
    Senior Member glassngrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maffra, Vic
    Posts
    1,383

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Thanks Beetle for the offer, but like I said I wouldn't have someone go to that much trouble.
    You are much better having someone from forum you have a rapport with who WANTS to help, than an 'unknown' who might want to help themselves.
    Please- be gracious and accept his help. You may be able to return the favor some day.
    David

  10. #10
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Re: Sickness/Injury help a fellow lawnie

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If you couldn't find anyone local i'd be able to give you a full day Friday & Saturday.leave here at 7.30 be cutting the first job at 8.30..The business is too valuable to be losing customers.
    ""3 votes for Lawnmowers Brownlow Medal"
    Cheers Garry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •