Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Synthetic grass

Default Synthetic grass

Hi all.just wondering if anyone does fake turf installs?whats the going rate?i heard it can be Exy!do people charge up to $100 m2 for supply and install?a friend of one of my customers wants about 30 m2 done but I think it may be a harder job than lying real turf..??

Default Re: Synthetic grass

I had a client ask me to do their whole back yard and front with Synthetic Grass, I told him to look else where lol. the yard was about 75-80m2 total. Wasn't game enough to give it a go, seeing as I have never done it before.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

nope, l've layed an awful lot of turf but wouldn't take that on.....repercussions if it goes wonky.........??

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Some prep work is needed to get the base set up properly and you'll need a compactor (vibrating plate),after laying the grass carpet you'll need a power broom for the sand

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Drainage is a major factor to consider when laying synthetic grass. Around here its generally paving contractors that install it.
    I dont like it. Its hot in summer, looks sh*t after a few years, weeds grow in it, and still has to be vacuumed. Although' it does have a place in small shaded courtyards where turf struggles to grow.

l agree looks crap after a few years and have seen alot of weeds growing in it

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    l agree looks crap after a few years and have seen alot of weeds growing in it
    Responses like this are just ignorant and "closed shop " reactionary. Good lawns get weeds and look cap after a few years if you do nothing with them. Synthetic lawns are not maintenance free. They require a broom over to keep the bristles up and the filler loose, this action prevents walk paths developing and weeds growing in compacted filler. A hard bristle broom will do the job. A powerbroom can be used probably on an annual basis. These lawns do have a life span but with proper care they will look good for 10 to 20 years. Synthetic lawns are good in small yard and small area situations and look good all year round. Let's not be ignorant with our comments.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    Responses like this are just ignorant and "closed shop " reactionary. Good lawns get weeds and look cap after a few years if you do nothing with them. Synthetic lawns are not maintenance free. They require a broom over to keep the bristles up and the filler loose, this action prevents walk paths developing and weeds growing in compacted filler. A hard bristle broom will do the job. A powerbroom can be used probably on an annual basis. These lawns do have a life span but with proper care they will look good for 10 to 20 years. Synthetic lawns are good in small yard and small area situations and look good all year round. Let's not be ignorant with our comments.
    True but lets also not forget that probably 95% or more of residential clients who want this believe that it is maintenance free and you're trying to fleece them by suggesting that they still need to do or have maintenance done to it. I have seen more crap looking ones than I have seen good looking ones in residential settings and people need to be aware that it's not some maintenance free solution
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you