Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawn Edger for LARGE Area - Maximum Operator Comfort

Default Re: Lawn Edger for LARGE Area - Maximum Operator Comfort

Aaahhhhh... yes Stevens Edger.. I had seen them before but somehow assumed they were for cutting garden bed edges! I'm definitely going to look into this!

I looked up some older (~2004) posts on the forum, doesn't seem like they're used so much these days, if they ever were. Wonder if they're a bit fiddly to use... Always thinking of ways to cut down job time and labour, but I'd assume that everyone else is as well! Which makes me think twice when things like this aren't so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    After owning the Atom and now running a stick edger the comparison between them is huge.
    Stick edger blades are cheaper and the edger is easier to hold for tall people.I run both curve and straight shaft on Stihl KM85 and KM90 4mix.
    Cheers for that. Guess I'd better hire a stick edger for a day as well and suss it out before going all in with an Atom...

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Hey NLALM - which edging attachement for Walker are you referring to? I only know about the garden bed edger...

Cheers Macka - Always run them at full noise... in that case would you still go for the 2 stroke engine? How much less fuel does the 4T Honda use at full trigger, anyone know?
    I have the Pro 2 stroke, the amount hours you use the Atom depends on what to get, if i had a choice again i would get the lightest 2 stoke Atom available wear anti vibe gloves and put extra foam on the handles, the pro is heavy compared to the old domestic one i have, the pro isn't needed if your not usinging it aleast 2 hours a day, i would be lucky to use my pro a hour a week. I atom edges maybe twice a year to cut a clean groove and use the line trimmer the rest.

Hi
    For long straight edges I would like to suggest a Victa Tilt a Cut. I have a old 2 stroke Atom edger and a victa tilt a cut. Much prefer to use the victa on straight runs. The atom shines on curves. The victa works much better on overgrown edges.
    Cheers
    hjl

Cheers guys.

I ended up getting a edger attachment for my Honda power head, couldn't bare the thought of having to do this big job again on the line trimmer... $280 isn't such a big dent in the bank account really. Compared to using the line trimmer the Honda blade edger is still faster, but not as comfy as the Atom as you still have to hold up the engine end of the tool. I think some experimenting with technique could make this a bit easier. Seems like it chews through the blade pretty quickly tho... maybe it's just me having to get used to it - I hope so. The blade was done after about 4-5 hours use.

Thanks for the tip on Victa Tilt-a-cut - I've been trying to stay away from those bigger machines, only because they seem a bit overkill for regularly maintained edges. Do you find the work speed pretty quick with them?

I really need something that is good on curves as well as straights so it will be a compromise i know, but it's all good - we keep on trying to find better options that fit our needs!

Hi conrad
    I find the victa tilt a cut quick to use on straight regularly maintained edges.
    cheers
    hjl

Hi. I am thinking of getting an Atom edger for as mention long drive ways , footpaths etc. But mainly for new customers where it hasnt been done for a while . Where is best place to get one from . ? Cheers

I'd do a bit of research online, don't forget to factor in shipping etc. Also worth having a look at your local dealers. You might find that their prices are pretty close and it helps to have a good relationship with your locals when it comes time for service/repair etc.

Also a bit of an update on this - I only used the Honda edger attachment a couple of times. Goes through blades very fast, and I can actually use the line trimmer quicker and do edges then also trim around light poles etc. all in one pass. Works out faster with the line trimmer in the end, in some ways more effort/concentration to do a good job quick, but holding the Honda wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing either. Now I've just learnt to hold the line trimmer in different positions so I can swap between walking forwards and backwards, makes it a lot more comfortable on the big runs. Might be a different story if I wasn't so comfortable and quick on the line trimmer already, but play to your strengths I say...

Hi conrad
    If you are going to use a line trimmer for a lot of edging check out this. http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...Trimmer-Assist
    A lot of people don't like straps but this one is different. Helps me. I use the tilt a cut on long edges because it is easier but if have to use line trimmer I use the Trimmer assist to make it easier.
    Cheers
    hjl

Cheers hjl. I think I would give the old occy straps a try before shelling out for something like that.

But I've come to terms with it and found the comfortable way to do long edging runs. It wasn't the tool weight, more holding the same position for hours on end. Solved that by changing grip, swapping hands and walking forward as well as backwards. Much more comfortable, only took a little bit to get used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12