Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Whippy

Default Whippy

Looks like I'll be in the market for a new whippy.no,I need one fairly soon!anyway my newest shindy t260(third one) is giving trouble and I think it's probably the ignition coil.this is the second shindy that's buggered the coil so I'm not sure I want to buy another shindawia whippy.
    I will admit I only ever do basic maintenance myself with them and they get a lot of torture but do they only have a lifespan of a few years with constant use?
    Which brand are most people using these days?a similar size echo looks ok and is around a kg lighter...

Default Re: Whippy

I can tell you i've just about had every brand made including the T260X,i now go for as light as possible to carry all day.Currently running stihl fs94 which are light or go for the Husqvarna 525.To me these are the best choice for contractors

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    I can tell you i've just about had every brand made including the T260X,i now go for as light as possible to carry all day.Currently running stihl fs94 which are light or go for the Husqvarna 525.To me these are the best choice for contractors
    Nailed it one I like the 525lst over the fs94 it has better anti vibe, both good machines though

Very Helpful Member

I changed from the a T260 to a T230 and only took the T260 when i had a clean up to do then when the T230 died i brought the a Husky 525lst and love it I think it's slightly heavier than the T230 but more powerful
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Love my Husky whippie. Light, starts first pull nearly every time and surprisingly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I changed from the a T260 to a T230 and only took the T260 when i had a clean up to do then when the T230 died i brought the a Husky 525lst and love it I think it's slightly heavier than the T230 but more powerful
    Spot on i have both as well I've had the husky for a year or so but bought the 230 at cost price ...i thought i give the husky a clean out the other day and now my preference as you say an more powerful i find...

Husky 525LST...................
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sterlo View Post
    Husky 525LST...................
    of course...use it on my taberats hahahaha

Re Husky 525LST, Found it much heavier and annoying heavier on larger jobs than my two discontinued Husky323L. So will re build the 323L's as needed even if the cost is high and carby butterfully pins and pistons involved. Because weight to power is everything and the old 323L were darn good at 4.1kg.
    Re 525LST, remove the chrome bash plate and save 0.2Kg and stick a couple of felt stick on pads to the base of fuel tanks for protection when placed on the ground or dropped from say 300mm height. Put the Husky universal head on and save another 50g. But me brain still knows its heavier so I use me trusty 323L instead
    I do a job fortnightly that is 0.45km long times 6 walking lengths of it. It's a torturous job that pays well, so weight reduction is everything. When I found out the 323L was being deleted and the replacement was heavier I bought one as a spare. Wish I had bought two. Waiting for the February 40- 42deg everyday heat slow down to put one gallant failed 7yr old 323L in the workshop for major rebuild including pistion.
    Cheers Garry

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Husky 525LST for me. Had the same one for possible 4yrs at a guess with no trouble. I'd buy another too. Any time I feel it getting heavy I grab the Stihl FS130 out of the trailer for a reality slap. Man those Stihl had some weight.

FSA90R

Battery is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by tgc View Post
    FSA90R

Battery is the way to go
    half hour battery life ?

Depends what brand, what size battery and how you use it... the little 4Ah battery in my Husky trimmer will do about 45-50 mins on regularly maintained lawns. And if I'm moving quickly that's a fair bit of edging! If I'm doing heavier overgrown edges I just use the big 26Ah powerhouse and work all day without worrying about the battery running flat.