Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: ATTN: fellow Brisbane contractors with a spare ride-on...

Default ATTN: fellow Brisbane contractors with a spare ride-on...

Wow, what a day.

I’ve had a friend working with me 1-2 days a week for probably a few months now. It’s been slow going getting him up to speed with no prior industry experience, still not quite there tho. Well I figured i’ve got to trust him with the ride-on eventually if this is going to be an ongoing thing. 3rd job of the day I get the Walker out and sit him on it, run through the controls... long story short he ran into the back of the van, deck under the rear bumper and right leg pinned - still driving forward until I run over and turn it off. Anyway got it unstuck eventually, he is ok but the Walker steering controls are tweaked, can’t drive it smoothly.

Not sure if I should try fixing it myself or get it to the shop?

Problem is that I have another week of work to go and i’m screwed without a ride-on. So the question is - does anyone have a spare they could hire out to me for 3-5 days? In case mine is out of action still by Monday...

Cheers 🍻

Default Re: ATTN: fellow Brisbane contractors with a spare ride-on...

That could have been a lot worse for you and your offsider .

I am having a few issues with my casual offsider lately, finding he has lost his self motivation. And now he is struggling with the heat, when its not that bad and then finding him sitting or laying down in front of clients properties playing on his phone when I'm not looking grrrr).

Putting an ad out for someone new in the new year. I will be doing a 1 day trial on my harder days to see if they can handle the work. If not I will move on to the next person. I went from about 6-8 jobs a day by myself, to barely scratching 4-5 with him helping me. The only reason I have been getting help is that I have injured my shoulder and struggle with lifting anything over about 5-6 kgs.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Yeah I know... He was probably just shocked by the whole thing, but the way he was yelling out I thought he'd broken his leg/knee... Thank goodness that wasn't the case.

I know exactly what you mean - I really expected a lot more from my guy as he's a bit older, you expect a stronger work ethic and that they're a bit more of a self-starter. But I can't tell you how many times he'll have finished off a task just when I happen to come into view... Coincidence? Once or twice maybe, but the amount it happens - I think not! Other times he'll finish mowing, I'm still trimming but he just stands there watching me... like WTF pack up the mower and get the blower out!!! I also find him stopping & chatting to residents on bigger estate jobs, the residents want to tell him what a good job I'm doing - all good. But I'll bet the reason they're talking with him is that they think he's the boss because of the way he just strolls along while I'm out there busting my ass going as fast as I can. That really pisses me off! I know there are good guys out there, I have a couple of other subbies on rotation but it's not easy to find them that's for sure.

My problem is that I've a bit too "nice", I try and give people a fair go and it just ends up stressing me out because I know work isn't getting done as fast and to as good a standard as it should be. I reckon you're absolutely right. Try them out for 1 day and if they can't hack it, move on. That's pretty disappointing that your daily jobs dropped like that, even with help! Injuries are the worst, hope you get some good help and recover from that.

Anyway - still wondering what I'll do this coming week without a ride-on... really only one big job where I absolutely need one, might get onto a local FB page and see if anyone wants to make some extra cash before Xmas driving their machine around for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    My problem is that I've a bit too "nice", I try and give people a fair go and it just ends up stressing me out because I know work isn't getting done as fast and to as good a standard as it should be. I reckon you're absolutely right. Try them out for 1 day and if they can't hack it, move on. That's pretty disappointing that your daily jobs dropped like that, even with help! Injuries are the worst, hope you get some good help and recover from that.

Anyway - still wondering what I'll do this coming week without a ride-on... really only one big job where I absolutely need one, might get onto a local FB page and see if anyone wants to make some extra cash before Xmas driving their machine around for a few hours.
    I have that "I'm too nice a person" problem as well might have to end that one I think
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl