Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husky 323L (Discontinued) - 525LST Whippies - Some differences

Default Husky 323L (Discontinued) - 525LST Whippies - Some differences

Bought a Husky 525LST midway through last year and disliked it due to extra weight and having a bitey snappy, edgy flowing motor. At brand new a full outer shaft and inner drive went in too under warranty in the first week.
    Ok so now its run in as I've had to use it.

Had me operational 4.1kg 323L in for some repairs and used the 525LST and struggled to get a clean straight vertical edge due to the bitey, edgy motor of the 525LST. It's nowhere as smooth/clean running as the 323L.
    The next is big one to me - Noise, whilst vertical edging with it, the 323L has a full length exhaust deflector to direct exhaust/noise away from the user somewhat. The 525LST has next to nothing to deflect from the user in comparision to the 323L.
    With the 525L having a useless short deflector moulded into the metal fabrication. I have seriously noticed the noise in the right ear even using roll & push in Prochoice Cat 5's plugs and the increase in noise has caused some discomfort. Have ordered the other day some better summer hearing protection from "Combined Safety Solutions" in Nowra NSW for summer use which I should have tomorrow.
    Also have a 2nd 323L that needs a major rebuild including carb/butterfly assembly & piston and will certainly being putting it in to the workshop soon regardless of cost.

Just thought I would share the above.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Husky 323L (Discontinued) - 525LST Whippies - Some differences

Yes I agree , the 525 is very loud in the ear all day , I think my stihl is about the same , and the echo, but I do think that the shindy is even louder.

Very Helpful Member

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Thanks Ian,

They are new compared to usage mine have endured. The first in Rooty Hill looks quite good.
    Wish I could secure it to my Motorbike and take a nice ride up there and back. 550Ks each way in the Hilux, pheewww that's got me thinking

Maybe I could strap it vertically to the rear Hallmark/Ventura carrier on the bike and tie a Eureka Flag to it and see how far I get before the Navy Blue NSW boys pull me over.
    Cheers Garry

Ian,

You stirred a thought within me to buy it as I reckon I will be doing mowing for 2 to 3 days max part time into my self funded retirement down the track, I'm 59 now, so it's approaching.
    Me local Husky dealer owner who's an ex Regional Field Sales Mgr for Husky Sydney HO. Well he tried to source one from some remote dealers he knew that hung onto old stock and from Sydney H/O, even N/Zealand. No success though. Although Sydney H/O in Tuggerah thought they had one initially.
    So purchased the one, first in the link from the Rooty Hill Store.
    Got them to send it and at a pricey cost whilst requested bubble and cardboard wrap entire unit, with attention to motor head and throttle area. They had me in a way as they knew if I wanted it I had to drive.
    But its better than driving up and the extra 323L in my already fleet of two 323L's was too hard to pass up.

Just been speaking to the main mechanic at the Husky dealer due to picking up a 216 with new gear box and front axle fitted. He agreed the 323L was best Whipper and lightest, better noise to operator, having well balanced/smooth operating motor. Shouldn't have been discontinued was spoken. He agreed with the cost to buy it was still a bargain for me being a lawnie being my daily income tool.

Thanks for the links and effort in looking.

Garry
    Cheers Garry

Been running the 322L very light,could be worth having a look

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Been running the 322L very light,could be worth having a look
    Thanks for the Comment,

The 323L is a totally different piece of gear and has a more compact shaped engine with the 323L being a Contractors model, not occasional use as is the newer 'lower end 322L. The 323L is 0.9kw not 0.75K as is the 322L and 323L also marginally lighter again.

Re your blower that was posted before the edit. Please do yourself a big favour and get the Anti Vib and lower noise contractors Husky 525BX blower as I have done after having the 125B's for many years. Seriously you will wonder Why the F"" you ever had that arm/hand damaging base 125B model vibrating mini monster in your hand. My sore right shouldes have ceased since not using the cheaper hand blower. Must have back pack blower to in kit.

323L Spec's and Image
    Cheers Garry

I do look at all the different models and brands but they don't affect me for vibration.
    As for the 322L in the US they call it at the beginning of commercial in there range on most reviews,i only use it 5-6 months of the year and it runs good
    As for L/trimmers got 5 and blowers 5 also i just rotate through them over a year

Forgot to mention i wear gloves from time of start to finish which may help

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    I do look at all the different models and brands but they don't affect me for vibration.
    As for the 322L in the US they call it at the beginning of commercial in there range on most reviews,i only use it 5-6 months of the year and it runs good
    As for L/trimmirs got 5 and blowers 5 also i just rotate through them over a year
    If had no 323L's and had to use my new 525LST which I don't like, Then I would buy the 322L you have with no hesitation, but I would change to loop handle to the D Handle. Actually I wish I had bought your whipper model and not the 525 recently bought. But we learn as we go.
    Cheers Garry

I have bought a couple of these from ebay US site so i didn't have to bend down too much.They were the tallest one's i could find,it was worth it for me
    One for the stihl km94 and one for the 322L
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never have I seen or heard of the above pictured item, being a large picture I thought it was a shovel at first until I scrolled.
    Have you got any You Tube/Picture links of it in use or demo'd by supplier. I vertical edge, so trying in my mind to visualise.
    Cheers Garry

Thanks for the page link.
    Always learning something from within here.

Well me express post confirmation just hit me e-mail for the Whippy from Sydney. Hope it makes it safely.

If someone had of said to me 8 yrs ago that I would posting on a mowing forum soon using, codes like 323L, 525LST, 322L, 125B, 216 and the likes of 525BX with some passion. Well I would said your a Nutta seeing I used go to work in near enough a full Black Suit with polished black Julius Marlow's arriving home some 12hrs later.
    Cheers Garry

Well me Husky 323L purchased from Rooty Hill NSW arrived safe.
    Its in better condition than the newest one I'm using at present and I have two already with the other in need of a re build.
    No scratches/scuffing to lower tank/sides or body of motor head and the newer one I've been using everyday has mega scuffing. Took the idle up 300 as it was close to stalling using my WiFi tach unit and found its rev's 600 higher at the top end, so will tune that back.
    It's had Mineral Oil usage and had a heavy oil mix by past user which I'm pleased about. So cleaned of excess oil around the usual places on the motor head and de choked the exhaust port although it was not too bad. I use synthetic oil which I buy for $11 per 1ltr bottle. Due to the cheap price, I buy 15 bottles at time that lasts for quite some time.

So that gives me 3 - 323L's Professional use rated trimmers now, at 4.1kg. 24.5cm3 & 0.9kw grunt being a well balanced unit with the compact low weight motor head and less noise in operator"s ear.
    Happy as a pig in the sloppy stuff and with these easy to use units and they will see me out of this Mowing Game down the track.

Thanks again Ian for the posted links as I hadn't thought about searching for one.
    Cheers Garry