Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: QLD Blue Couch - spraying out paspalum, crowsfoot, summer/wintergrass

Default QLD Blue Couch - spraying out paspalum, crowsfoot, summer/wintergrass

Hi all,

Just got my ACDC license - went to my regular supplier asking about chemicals that will handle paspalum, crowsfoot etc. in Qld Blue. The response I got back was that there is no registers product that will kill paspalum in Blue?? But their own herbicides chart lists Nufarm Rifle as controlling crowsfoot and paspalum..? And I could have sworn that i’ve Seen others when Googling around.

What do you guys use? Am I reading these product charts wrong, am I going crazy or what??

Side point - does anyone use a PGR on la n edges to reduce trimming frequency?

Cheers!

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: QLD Blue Couch - spraying out paspalum, crowsfoot, summer/wintergrass

You could try Tribute but I would try spot spraying a small area 1st to make sure it won't effect Queensland blue
    Tribute effectively controls weeds such as Crowsfootgrass, Ryegrass, Wintergrass, Goose grass (Eleusine tristachya); Paspalum (Paspalum dilatatum) and suppression of Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinum).
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Default Re: QLD Blue Couch - spraying out paspalum, crowsfoot, summer/wintergrass

Looking at the Nufarm Rifle label, to me it seems like it wont kill paspalum in a turf situation. It looks like you can even use it in a paspalum (Bahia Grass) crop to control crowsfoot, summer & winter grasses.

Most commonly available Paspalum killers have DSMA A/I and that is not to be used on Qld Blue couch. Its safe enough on real Couch (Cynadon), but Qld Blue is not a couch. It's a Digitaria

Tribute is definitely not safe on Qld Blue... if it comes down to it might just have to spot spray and accept a bit of turf damage...

Majority of my grass weed problems are in common green couch, it would just be the icing on the cake if I could find something that would cover Qld Blue as well.

edbeek looks like you're right about Rifle not touching paspalum... also it seems to be a pre-emergent anyway.
    Might have to stick with DSMA-based products and just spot spray on Qld Blue if really needed...

Damn I thought I was on to something...

Look up embargo , Its a pre emergent to , you will get a much better result if you can use a pre emergent. Down side is it has to be watered in. I add a good wetting agent put it on nice and evenly water in , best chemical I have used , I do use it on qld blue and haven't had a problem. You could spray in the rain if you cant irrigated the area.

You wont get a contact to do what you want effectively

And pgr's I use on the same qld lawn that I spray the embargo on they work really well and a lot of golf course superintendents use it around bunker edges, for the same reason you are talking about. If you have good quality lawns and spray them it improves the quality of lawn , it shortens the internode length and produces a really nice tight surface, I get that qld blue lawn looking like velvet.

you can get it in one or 5 litre , primo maxx is the best, not sure of the cost , I was given 5 litres by a mate who is a chemical rep.

Cheers for that. Yeah I might have to look at a pre-em. This one job in particular has no irrigation, bit of a pain. I want to get it looking great, but am only contracted to do monthly weed spraying. I figure that going the extra mile and using a pre-emergent will reduce my future work and get a fantastic result for the lawn. Win-win. Tricky thing is timing the spray so it's watered in properly... will need some well timed rain for sure.
    Good to know people in the right places - pre-emergent isn't cheap! You scored with that 5L sample!!

I reckon I will give PGR a look... have actually been planning to get my lawn at home onto a PGR routine once it's up to scratch...