Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Cost of a basic service?

Default Cost of a basic service?

Hi all
    Just had my jeep serviced never had a service before always done services myself ( never had a Vehicle with usable warranty lol)
    But bought a near new v6 3.6lt Jeep Grand Cherokee ( not a work vehicle but recreational) so to keep the 3 yr warranty have to do the log book servicing thing
    Anyhow nearly fell over when it was $285 for a bacic oil change service is this steep or is it okay price and just suck it up
    Can't get much info on the web
    It was oil and oil filter, fuel additive and check lights , brakes etc
    $140 labour and $145 for oil, filter, levy, consumables and gst
    Thanks Greg
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Default Re: Cost of a basic service?

Yer, thats where they get you, with the servicing.
    My BT50 recently had its 20,000km service, from memory $550 ? you did ok.
    Only thing changed was the oil & filter, they also checked the important things, like windscreen washer fluid etc.
    There are vehicles now that come with 7&8yr warranties, I suspect the servicing prices are built in to offset the these long warranties.

Cheers Fred.

The dealers would seem to gouge your with their service pricing, but the real icing on the cake to them is all the "extras / additives / treatment" they "recommend" (say its almost essential) you need.
    AFAIK, under Aust consumer law, there is no requirement for the vehicle to be serviced by the manufacturers dealer network for the warranty to be honoured/enforced - it just needs to be serviced according to the service handbook.

IMHO, the best situation is those (brands) which offer the fixed-price servicing at the time of purchase --- at least you then know up-front what your vehicle 'cost of ownership' is likely to be.
    That the way govt (and prob other) fleet managers love it ---- Buy a car with a contracted buyback price, fix cost servicing and turn it over at 2yr/40k km (before it needs new tyres etc).
    Almost all repairs (non accident) are under warranty, so they know from day 1 what the total cost of ownership will be.

Joe.

Cheers guys looks like I'll have to suck it up
    Or price rise time as the cost of living (with a Jeep) has just gone up !
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

i also have a Bt50 tray ute 2014 coming up to 40 thousand clicks
    quoted $800 approx major service local mazda dealer

Do they put the manufacturer schedule for how many hours of labor each service should take in the owners / service handbook? Or is that 'secret' info restricted to the workshop?

Given that and the work schedule which should indicate which parts are needed, you should be able to work out if they are reasonable or think they have a captive.
    I do know from experience that their parts (genuine rather than oem) can be expensive and they often markup consumables (eg oil) considerably compared to the best price you can buy it down the street.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    I paid $730 at mazda for my 80K service on my 4x4 BT50 in april last year...would be a similar service at a guess

I have had some minor issues since warranty run out which they have fixed for no charge, based on the fact every service has been done with them
    one of the benefits of them looking after it

also I get a loan car for the day,,,, so at least I can do quotes and shopping etc

got told hourly rate is $120 per hour plus parts

On my latest service invoice there was no hourly rate....just a labour charge

I think on the mazda website they have service estimate $

I dont put hourly rates on my invoices....just a charge for the job

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I used to take my navara str to nissan but havent been back in 2 years. Sick of being ripped off. I was told my brake pads needed replacing urgently. I asked what that would cost? New pads, machine discs etc etc, I told them forget it when the cost was already over $400 before she had even finished going through everything that would be done. Still havent been changed and will get another 10000 k's out of them.
    Another mechanic I spoke to said they must have planned on giving me a gold plated booster. haha.

^^ yep, dealerships are thieves

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Looking into buying a truck for work, Fuso for example 30,000kms per service under $600 at dealership per service. Makes it cheaper than my Ranger and my Rideons
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Servicing is where everyone makes their income. Mowing shops are no different, that's why I do most of my own repairs such as blade , spark plug, air filter and oil changes,etc., but I still see contractors take their mowers into the main dealers for repairs etc, whereas I use the dedicated mower repairer. Getting back to car servicing, I suspect that every item on a dealer service has an hourly charge and is charged on its own. So whilst the oil is dropped, the mechanic checks other things and you get charged for each of those checks, but so in effect the dealer doubles up on his hourly charges. So in reality the service may only take an hour, but each process added up takes say 4 hours, so you get charged for four hours . It's creative invoicing but the dealer will never explain it to you. It's one of those unexplainable things similar to petrol pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    Servicing is where everyone makes their income. .....

Very true.
    Just like in the long ago days of mainframe computers (shows my age), it wasn't the sale that made the $$'s but the ongoing 'maintenance contract' where some 'customer engineer' (better described as a tecnician as everyone wanted to be called an engineer in those days) would come and run some diagnostics, change some filters and possibly vacuum out some dust. Parts were included in the mtce contract.
    Move one .... Sell printers cheaply and gouge users on the ink or toner suplies ....

With car servicing, the profit is on the 'genuine parts' used and especially on the addons such as oil additives, treatments etc which are 'strongly recommended' to 'protect your vehicle' as the 'service manager' drains your pocket as he upsells.
    Amazing that these things are not specified as 'necessary' by the manufacturer.....

Joe