Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Employing son on a casual basis protocols

Default Employing son on a casual basis protocols

G'day,

I have my son helping me out a day every fortnight and pay him cash. What are the protocols? Has anyone else done this in the past?

Default Re: Employing son on a casual basis protocols

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    G'day,

I have my son helping me out a day every fortnight and pay him cash. What are the protocols? Has anyone else done this in the past?
    Cash! I'm sure it has been done many times!

If he cuts his toe off what happens then?

Any legit business has employees covered if you pay $7500 or less in wages ( I think that is the figure but get onto their website to verify).

What happens if while using the mower a stone flies out and hits someone in the eye ? And they request your insurance ?

There may be something allowing family to help out in business without this but if someone loses an eye they will come after your insurance or your house!!

I would pay him as an employee - thats what I do when my daughters work for me
    he then gets a good start on super etc and is covered if anything goes wrong
    Also its a work expense and so reduces you profit and tax liability

Very Helpful Member

how old is he
    extra writing so I can post the above
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

definitely pay him as an employee... if your running a business you will have insurance so as John said a stone in the wrong place could be all over red rover..public liabilty strictly stipulate how many employees you have under your care including subcontractors...they must be all on your policy ,thats why you have to pay more...its a tax deduction and is covered by work cover... tough going employing a son..they think they know more than Dad lol plenty of arguments ...

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    how old is he
    extra writing so I can post the above
    Hi Ian, he is 19 (nearly 20).

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    definitely pay him as an employee... if your running a business you will have insurance so as John said a stone in the wrong place could be all over red rover..public liabilty strictly stipulate how many employees you have under your care including subcontractors...they must be all on your policy ,thats why you have to pay more...its a tax deduction and is covered by work cover... tough going employing a son..they think they know more than Dad lol plenty of arguments ...
    Thanks Geoff. So do i notify work worksafe as well as my liability insurer?

Yes, to avoid any potential arguments, we only work together once a fortnight. Plus we both wear very good earmuffs

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Thanks Geoff. So do i notify work worksafe as well as my liability insurer?

Yes, to avoid any potential arguments, we only work together once a fortnight. Plus we both wear very good earmuffs
    If you pay $7500 or less yearly you are covered for work cover. If you pay more get onto their website and contact a work over insurer.
    You should also make sure your P Liability insurance covers employees

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    If you pay $7500 or less yearly you are covered for work cover. If you pay more get onto their website and contact a work over insurer.
    You should also make sure your P Liability insurance covers employees
    Thanks for that.