Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

Default Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

Hi all,

I am looking at adding some acreage customers. I do one big job already, but that's body corp and I do a heap of other work there (gardening, pruning, fert & spray lawns etc.). Most of my work is residential from average to high end, I use the Walker whenever I can these days - basically charge it out at $130/hr or in the past have quoted based on push mower $66/hr and I do it in half the time or less with the Walker so it all works out.

Just not sure how to approach acreage tho... not having much experience with it and not being confident in estimating time just looking at a job, my gut feeling is to do it at my normal rate $130/hr and charge based on time (then get into a routine and set the regular fortnightly price after a few mows). But I've already kinda tried this approach and the customer said "yes, but how much for the job?" What can you do? How long is a piece of string I guess...

Do you think my rate is a bit high? Or about right? I have a 42" multi-deck at the moment, will side discharge for acreage. Wondering if I need a much bigger deck to justify my rate or make it more profitable? Also I won't be chasing rough acreage, these are lawns.

I did a search and found some old old old posts, someone commented 10+ years ago that they charged $100 per acre if rough, but average $70 acre. But no mention of what machine and how long an acre took them. I know this question comes up every so often, but just wanted to get some up to date info. Also I'm guessing its a bit different being reasonably close to city, I can see it being a whole different game in the country.

Thanks for any comments.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

I have a Hustler 42" that is supposed to cut 2 acres/hr, but I work on 1 acre/hr especially with lawn as it needs to be tidy.
    Sometimes I wish I had a bigger deck but there's a lot times I just squeeze through gates so 42" is good. Had a mate with a 36" Hustler do one of my acreage jobs once and was only 5 minutes longer in cutting. Bit of a eye opener and he gets that machine through a normal 900mm gate.
    I charge the same as you. I have some at 2wks, 3wks, but 4wkly is more the norm as it gets a bit pricey for some customers.
    Quoting. Get yourself a rangefinder or get on the website "find lot size" with a satellite image and work out the total area. Work on 1 acre/hr plus any edging or blowing.
    These jobs aren't that plentiful in my area as most landowners do it themselves.

Default Re: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking at adding some acreage customers. I do one big job already, but that's body corp and I do a heap of other work there (gardening, pruning, fert & spray lawns etc.). Most of my work is residential from average to high end, I use the Walker whenever I can these days - basically charge it out at $130/hr or in the past have quoted based on push mower $66/hr and I do it in half the time or less with the Walker so it all works out.

Just not sure how to approach acreage tho... not having much experience with it and not being confident in estimating time just looking at a job, my gut feeling is to do it at my normal rate $130/hr and charge based on time (then get into a routine and set the regular fortnightly price after a few mows). But I've already kinda tried this approach and the customer said "yes, but how much for the job?" What can you do? How long is a piece of string I guess...

Do you think my rate is a bit high? Or about right? I have a 42" multi-deck at the moment, will side discharge for acreage. Wondering if I need a much bigger deck to justify my rate or make it more profitable? Also I won't be chasing rough acreage, these are lawns.

I did a search and found some old old old posts, someone commented 10+ years ago that they charged $100 per acre if rough, but average $70 acre. But no mention of what machine and how long an acre took them. I know this question comes up every so often, but just wanted to get some up to date info. Also I'm guessing its a bit different being reasonably close to city, I can see it being a whole different game in the country.

Thanks for any comments.
    How long is a piece of string??
    1st find out what type of acreage?? Flat, Hilly, Top end of town type or just general hobby farm, maybe even commercial.
    You may find you need different equipment for many of them.

For example - hilly terrain you will need to be very experienced and have a good life insurance policy if you want to get many ZTR's. Best look at other equipment
    Commercial terrain you will be competing against others with big equipment and often have employees. Some just work on volume so it becomes very competitive.

The equipment along with going rates in your area will be the deciding factor on rates most of the time. You can get good rates but those jobs don't present themselves everyday.

Equipment example - my 66in super z can do general acreage about 30% faster than my 54 in x-one. If I was charging $100hr it would be about $140hr. It is more expensive to buy and operate though as well.
    Best to speak to as many people as you can and research your area.

I've been thinking about this myself for awhile. I like the idea of spending more time on my ride on (I have a hustler x-one 48") but not sure how to go about it so I'll be following the responses here. I do have 1 acreage that I look after but I got that off another guy and it was reasonable priced (I've put the price up around $60-70 dollars since taking over) and did a one off job before Christmas that I was hoping would turn into a regular (I underestimated that one and took 2 hrs longer than expected) but never heard from them again. I have had a couple of calls in the past but they requested the grass be caught so would need to look at something like a walker or get the bagging kit for the hustler. Not willing to spend that sort of cash without enough work to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    I have a Hustler 42" that is supposed to cut 2 acres/hr, but I work on 1 acre/hr especially with lawn as it needs to be tidy.
    Sometimes I wish I had a bigger deck but there's a lot times I just squeeze through gates so 42" is good. Had a mate with a 36" Hustler do one of my acreage jobs once and was only 5 minutes longer in cutting. Bit of a eye opener and he gets that machine through a normal 900mm gate.
    I charge the same as you. I have some at 2wks, 3wks, but 4wkly is more the norm as it gets a bit pricey for some customers.
    Quoting. Get yourself a rangefinder or get on the website "find lot size" with a satellite image and work out the total area. Work on 1 acre/hr plus any edging or blowing.
    These jobs aren't that plentiful in my area as most landowners do it themselves.
    The productivity of your machine also depends on the layout of the area your cutting. Long straight runs means you get more done. I have 2 schools that I look after, both with reasonable large ovals to look after. One of them has an area of 7300m2 that I can do in 50-55 minutes and the other is around 9300m2 and takes around 1hr and 25 minutes. The smaller areas with more obstacles aren't quite as productive.

If you are talking acreage of say 0.75- 1.5 acres, mowing time often isn't the biggest factor in quoting acreage. I often spend more time trimming & blowing on these than mowing.
    Some places will have every pita obstacle that you could imagine. The house might have a courtyard area and a few garden beds, a garden shed & probably a 3 bay car shed. Then there will be a tramp & swing set, waste water treatment area, more garden beds, vege garden & if you're lucky, a chicken coop & dog kennels.

If they get you often enough to mulch mow, clippings management is not such a big deal, but mostly ( my area anyway) they don't like spending for weekly or fortnightly mowing so you have a mass of clippings to tidy up.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    If you are talking acreage of say 0.75- 1.5 acres, mowing time often isn't the biggest factor in quoting acreage. I often spend more time trimming & blowing on these than mowing.
    Some places will have every pita obstacle that you could imagine. The house might have a courtyard area and a few garden beds, a garden shed & probably a 3 bay car shed. Then there will be a tramp & swing set, waste water treatment area, more garden beds, vege garden & if you're lucky, a chicken coop & dog kennels.

If they get you often enough to mulch mow, clippings management is not such a big deal, but mostly ( my area anyway) they don't like spending for weekly or fortnightly mowing so you have a mass of clippings to tidy up.
    That's definitely true with acreage I do. The job takes around 3hrs when I do the whole lot, 45 minutes on the ride on slashing the open areas, just under 1.5hrs edging (lots of garden beds and trees) and the rest blowing down and catching the grass around the house. I don't take away any grass as I empty the catcher on an embankment and spread it with the blower. This is a fortnightly job and lots of extras too.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post

Very true.

Often the ride on work is only a small percentage of the jobs we do in many small commercial and homeowner acreage

I have a 50" toro zero turn . I have also found it hard to price up. I generally charge $60/ hr. Which is usually 1acre / hr if easy. I have taken on some customers which were previously charged $50/hr. It will also depend on if it is easy to mow. I think between $60-$70/ hr will be ok. I have also got a deuscher slasher mower for embankments. I fund tgus easier to control. I am in process of getting some customers to let me spray along fence lines etc to make it easier to mow. I only spray approx 50mm out from fence line so the mowers can move along smoothly. Is there others that are doing this?
    Are my prices on par with what others are charging?
    I'm in Hawkesbury area NSW but travel everywhere.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MowMe View Post
    I have a 50" toro zero turn . I have also found it hard to price up. I generally charge $60/ hr. Which is usually 1acre / hr if easy. I have taken on some customers which were previously charged $50/hr. It will also depend on if it is easy to mow. I think between $60-$70/ hr will be ok. I have also got a deuscher slasher mower for embankments. I fund tgus easier to control. I am in process of getting some customers to let me spray along fence lines etc to make it easier to mow. I only spray approx 50mm out from fence line so the mowers can move along smoothly. Is there others that are doing this?
    Are my prices on par with what others are charging?
    I'm in Hawkesbury area NSW but travel everywhere.
    Thanks
    As a bare minimum work out your running , replacement costs as an hourly rate and add your time. Zero turns are expensive machines that work at least twice as fast as walk behinds and your'e charging at walk behind rates. The start of this topic covers some current pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    As a bare minimum work out your running , replacement costs as an hourly rate and add your time. Zero turns are expensive machines that work at least twice as fast as walk behinds and your'e charging at walk behind rates. The start of this topic covers some current pricing.
    Agree 100%. I'm charging $60-70 per hour for all push mowing and gardening. The ride on, which I mainly use on 2 schools, works out around twice that. You have to factor in the initial cost of the machine and running costs, both much higher than a pushy.

Yeah if I can't get the rate I want, it's just not worth it. Not going to lower my rate for more equipment wear and tear.

For those that quote a job based on 2 weekly mowing... then the customer wants to change it to 4 weekly to save cost - do you put your price up? Surely you'd have to as there is a big difference in regular mowing and what would be basically overgrown by 4 weeks. I think this type of situation just comes down to educating the customer and communicating the fact that a 2 vs. 4 weekly mow are two very different jobs and will come with two very different price tags.

Looks like I am on par with my pricing, will stick with $120+GST per hour. All other work including gardening, line trimming blowing etc. I charge at $60+GST. I guess if I had bigger acreage jobs I would look at going up to a 74" deck, could save the customer a bit of coin - but would also mean a better rate for me and less runtime on the Walker for a given area.

edbeek when you talk about clippings management, what do you do if it's been longer between mows and you have lots of clippings? Just double (triple) mow? My experience so far is that property owners asking for overgrown lawn to be caught are completely unprepared for the cost involved and don't have an understanding of just how much extra time is involved in handling and waste disposal etc. I did one recently that was a first mow for me, collected about 300kg of wet lawn clippings, only got through 1/5 of the entire block (got rained out and the ground in parts was already too wet) and it cost more than a regular fortnightly mow of the entire block. It might be a short lived venture into acreage mowing...

Gotta say that charging ride-on work out at $50-60/hr seems way too low! When you need to spend 4 figures on machine repairs it will make you seriously rethink the value of holding on to those customers.

Conrad, I'll only double mow if I'm leaving too many stringers. My mowers spray out the clippings pretty good, so unless the deck gets full & spits out a big lump, I'll leave it at that. Sometimes the cut surface is covered by a thick carpet of clippings, but as long as it's pretty even, most are happy with that. If they're not, they can mow more often. Clippings have to go somewhere & I'm not picking them up. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The thing that can eat up time on longer grass is when you are trying to keep clippings away from buildings/gardens etc. Even with an OCDC it takes extra time & stress on the mower.

I did a 1.25 acre block for a while with heaps of obstacles, but I could mulch mow all of it every 10-14 days. It was bliss... but I don't see many of them.

[QUOTE=conrad;154780]Yeah if I can't get the rate I want, it's just not worth it. Not going to lower my rate for more equipment wear and tear.

For those that quote a job based on 2 weekly mowing... then the customer wants to change it to 4 weekly to save cost - do you put your price up? Surely you'd have to as there is a big difference in regular mowing and what would be basically overgrown by 4 weeks. I think this type of situation just comes down to educating the customer and communicating the fact that a 2 vs. 4 weekly mow are two very different jobs and will come with two very different price tags.

I do. I add to the price if they're wanting to stretch the time out. I've actually said to a client " hang on, you want the job to take me twice as long to do, for half the money". They looked at me and said "oh sorry, didn't think of that".
    Generally I say no to 4 weekly lawn cuts straight up, unless its a lawn that obviously never gets watered other than rain. I'll price regular mows on a 2 to 3 week period depending on season.
    Big area overgrown 1st cut I don't collect the grass.

[QUOTE=GardeningSolutions;154782]
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Yeah if I can't get the rate I want, it's just not worth it. Not going to lower my rate for more equipment wear and tear.

I do. I add to the price if they're wanting to stretch the time out. I've actually said to a client " hang on, you want the job to take me twice as long to do, for half the money". They looked at me and said "oh sorry, didn't think of that".
    Generally I say no to 4 weekly lawn cuts straight up, unless its a lawn that obviously never gets watered other than rain. I'll price regular mows on a 2 to 3 week period depending on season.
    Big area overgrown 1st cut I don't collect the grass.
    I think we all would like the best rates we can get. I understand not lowering rates BUT I also find if we have work in a reasonably compact area our rates over the day can be quite good.
    This allows me to fit in the odd one or two who do not really want to pay as much as I would like.
    Just another way of looking at it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast