Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

Default Re: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

This was an answer to a Question on FB about the going rate for mowing in my area.

"I live on 3.5 acres and my guy charges me $60 thats mowing, wipper snipping and blower.. pm if youd like his number. He charges $20 for a normal yard (in town)"

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Default Re: Looking to move into acreage work - what is the market like? How to charge?

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    This was an answer to a Question on FB about the going rate for mowing in my area.

"I live on 3.5 acres and my guy charges me $60 thats mowing, wipper snipping and blower.. pm if youd like his number. He charges $20 for a normal yard (in town)"
    I've heard this said by some one else but would love to say it to a Beer Bob, " If i wanted to go broke, I'd rather sit at home than work for F all.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post

If nothing is damaged + there are no injuries it will reduce his losses.

That is just... WOW

And good point about having a few jobs in the same area picking up the slack for one that is a lower rate. But as my wife would say I'd just be better off spending my time on customers who are going to pay my full rate whether it be smaller lawns, gardening, hedging etc. I just want to do my work and make everyone happy, the wife actually has a much better business brain than me. Haha. Sometimes I think I should be using the Walker more, but if I'm not using it - it's also not clocking up hours and taking all the extra wear and tear. A little bit of a discount for big jobs close together, less travel time sounds ok. But $60 for 3.5 acres... our time is worth more than that!

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    That is just... WOW

And good point about having a few jobs in the same area picking up the slack for one that is a lower rate. But as my wife would say I'd just be better off spending my time on customers who are going to pay my full rate whether it be smaller lawns, gardening, hedging etc. I just want to do my work and make everyone happy, the wife actually has a much better business brain than me. Haha. Sometimes I think I should be using the Walker more, but if I'm not using it - it's also not clocking up hours and taking all the extra wear and tear. A little bit of a discount for big jobs close together, less travel time sounds ok. But $60 for 3.5 acres... our time is worth more than that!

i suppose your wife has to understand that giving the neighbor a reduced rate to have a few lawn in one stop makes life easier, for the operator
    mean less wear and tear on your body as your only doing things once, loading and unloading, putting on the whippy, Mowing & blowing Once.

3 lawns in a row at $30 each vs 3 at different locations for $40

they all maybe 30min lawns on there own but as a group you can do them all in 70 min. 20minutes saving

you have cut travel & loading and unloading time by 10 minutes by only traveling to one site, 10minutes saving

so you save 30 minutes plus vehicle fuel and wear and tear on you body.

less time and effort is working smarter,

3 x $40 Lawns, $120 for 105 min work including travel $68 per hour

3 x $30 Lawns together $90 for 75 minutes work including travel and also save the 30 minutes $72 per hour

3.5 acres / $60....sounds like Tony Abbott and his 1950s wonderland

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    i suppose your wife has to understand that giving the neighbor a reduced rate to have a few lawn in one stop makes life easier, for the operator
    mean less wear and tear on your body as your only doing things once, loading and unloading, putting on the whippy, Mowing & blowing Once.

3 lawns in a row at $30 each vs 3 at different locations for $40

they all maybe 30min lawns on there own but as a group you can do them all in 70 min. 20minutes saving

you have cut travel & loading and unloading time by 10 minutes by only traveling to one site, 10minutes saving

so you save 30 minutes plus vehicle fuel and wear and tear on you body.

less time and effort is working smarter,

3 x $40 Lawns, $120 for 105 min work including travel $68 per hour

3 x $30 Lawns together $90 for 75 minutes work including travel and also save the 30 minutes $72 per hour
    The problem with this is that if one leaves the others don't want to then pay the needed increase in price, better to have 3 $40 next to each other
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    The problem with this is that if one leaves the others don't want to then pay the needed increase in price, better to have 3 $40 next to each other
    And the problem with that is that if you did not give your lower end rate you would only have one or two clients. Then you would not have to worry about your problem!!!

What I meant previously is that I can do jobs for a certain price to make it viable BUT I also have a price I prefer so as to make good $$$.

Each to their own but sometimes you gotta be in it to win it!

Very Helpful Member

2 x 1/2 hour clients at $40 = $80 = $80p/h
    3 x 1/2 hour clients at $30 = $90 = $60p/h
    I know which i would prefer
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

yep you can rave on about rates etc etc but to me its the daily take...ive a target i like to have and when i achieve it its " Yabba dabba do Wilma i am home. " lol sometimes when i double the take ..its look out wilma i am home ...... seriously the daily /weekly take for your business and your budget is what matters ....thats what i do anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    3.5 acres / $60....sounds like Tony Abbott and his 1950s wonderland
    mate the 50/60 wasn't that bad , as a kid there were the best times ..keys in the car back door open ...Bob Menzies lol yep the press back then used to say "sir " there was respect back then ...coppers were feared and repected...there were no do gooders fcking up our lifestyles ,as kids it was come home when it was tea time no helicopter parents...local copper give you a hiding if you were out of control and when you went home to complain you get another whack of the old man...naa i am old fashioned but back in the day life was simple and bloody good,,,but hey i am old buggar now so what would know ..mmmmm hahahahah...

Being 64.5 I'm needing a few coldies and the bad old days.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    mate the 50/60 wasn't that bad , as a kid there were the best times ..keys in the car back door open ...Bob Menzies lol yep the press back then used to say "sir " there was respect back then ...coppers were feared and repected...there were no do gooders fcking up our lifestyles ,as kids it was come home when it was tea time no helicopter parents...local copper give you a hiding if you were out of control and when you went home to complain you get another whack of the old man...naa i am old fashioned but back in the day life was simple and bloody good,,,but hey i am old buggar now so what would know ..mmmmm hahahahah...
    agree Geoff......

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

You make me feel so young ................... you make me feel like spring has sprung !

Cheers Fred.

Geoff, need to start up a thread topic on this. Could bring the forum back to life, heh, heh.
    I'm 59 and would step into Dr Who's Time Machine and go back any day to the days when the "Healing" TV had valves as the electronics running it and the Myer TV repair man would come out every 3 wks to keep replacing valves to keep it running so we could watch Graham Kennedy, Eric Pearce and the Tarax Club. The days of RESPECT!!! not to mention the full to the brim outside dunny and the postie blew his whistle and garbo man got 2 large bottle of Fosters in a brown paper left beside the metal bin for Xmas.

Acreage Mowing to the Tarax Club = Magic.
    Cheers Garry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast