Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: People Promise regular business and then there's nothing after the first mow

Default People Promise regular business and then there's nothing after the first mow

I am new and so I need to take most business within reason. I did knock back some ridiculous request in Doncaster last week though To the point, I have not sought regular services yet, however, have had customers offer it to me. After the first mow, they say that they will ring me when it next needs a mow. I know that this happens and I am just wondering whether it should be happening almost all of the time or is it likely to be attributed to the unfortunate time of year in which I have started my business? I think that this is happening to me 80% of the time after they have promised regular service. I might add that I have plenty of experience working with gardeners that have high standards, and that this is not happening due to poor quality work. The work is of acceptable standard. Any thoughts?
    Out there giving it my best shot

Default Re: People Promise regular business and then there's nothing after the first mow

Quite often these clients will get you do the visit which gets there property in ship shape. Then they mow it ONLY for the next two mows and call you for the next mow so the edges and debris lying about get done again. Got 2 clients doing it to me right now and I'm totally aware of it as one would be.
    You will get people who totally disrespect you even after a longer or short period of time and that can hurt at times. When you know you are really doing a high end job.
    Chin up keep doing a great caring job and the good clients will grow in your within your client base.
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: People Promise regular business and then there's nothing after the first mow

Part of it would be as you put it the "unfortunate time of the year" hard to convince people they need to get the lawn mown again in 2 weeks when it's 90% brown and hasn't really grown since the last mow 6 weeks ago,you do have to watch out for the ones with the overgrown lawns who will tell you it's going to be a regular mow in the hope that you will do it for a low/regular price, if it's overgrown always charge them extra for the 1st mow.
    I'm in Knox and have a lot of clients I haven't mown for 4-6 weeks who I would usually hope to be doing every 2 weeks at this time of the year
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks Gazza and Ian for confirmation. I usually charge extra for the first mow. Depends on the state of the lawn. Ian, I'm in Glen Waverley neighbour
    Out there giving it my best shot

Welcome to the world of scumbags and cheapscates who want it done for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut'n Ya Grass View Post
    I am new and so I need to take most business within reason. I did knock back some ridiculous request in Doncaster last week though To the point, I have not sought regular services yet, however, have had customers offer it to me. After the first mow, they say that they will ring me when it next needs a mow. I know that this happens and I am just wondering whether it should be happening almost all of the time or is it likely to be attributed to the unfortunate time of year in which I have started my business? I think that this is happening to me 80% of the time after they have promised regular service. I might add that I have plenty of experience working with gardeners that have high standards, and that this is not happening due to poor quality work. The work is of acceptable standard. Any thoughts?
    I need to take most business within reason
    I'm in Glen Waverley

Being new and needed jobs you'll need to push your advertising/work distance at least 15kl's out in all directions to getting a round started.