Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers

Default Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers

My Core hedge trimmer packed it in maybe 6-7 weeks ago. Well not really "packed it in", just broke the main motor drive shaft, so no movement at the blades. Hedges are starting to look a bit hairy and they ain't gonna trim themselves!

I pulled this apart to see if it was fixable. Thought I would post this because it might be interesting for those who are wondering about electric gear.

I got some locking pliers onto the main motor shaft (what was left of it) and tried pulling the motor out of the alloy housing, was not budging. Then I remembered - when in doubt & dealing with stubborn parts & pieces - give it some heat, mon!

The heat gun did the trick - looked like the bearing in the outer housing was actually stuck in with some kind of adhesive. Heat is always handy - lots of electronic components are secured with different types of adhesives. I guess you could say that when you're working with electric gear you reach for the heat gun instead of the WD-40. I've replaced a few smart phone screens in the past and they were exactly the same as far as use of a heat gun.

This is the blade movement mechanism, not sure if this is the same with petrol trimmers - but I'd guess so:

Now that I've got it this far apart, I've basically given up. Too much messing around without any spare parts being available. I was planning to get a new drive shaft made up at the local engineering shop, but it's a different setup to what I expected - not worth the messing about making up jigs etc. to press out the bearings. Would be different if it was a straight shaft all the same diameter.

So I'm just going to buy the best cordless hedge trimmer available, locally this time (the Core stuff is only available from U.S.A). I really like the Core motor design, pretty disappointed that the motor shaft broke so easily and that it was designed with such a small diameter section - basically had a major weak section designed into it... anyway.

I think I will be able to get a new cordless hedge trimmer that performs better and is easier to use. Spotted a 56V model after some quick Googling, looks interesting... I get the feeling that Core has kind of dropped the ball and lost their edge by not taking advantage with global distribution. When I was looking at their gear back in 2013 there was a clear difference between the construction and build quality of the Core products and other electric products. Now when I look at what's available I see lots of other companies have really caught up - good products with brushless motors, etc., decent to high battery capacity, and fast chargers and large capacity batteries that are priced reasonably.

Just thought I would ask if anyone happens to know much about the different cordless hedge trimmer options out there? The major options on the shortlist so far are:

• Stihl 36V (up to 1hr 20 mins run time, 3.2Ah battery)
    • EGO 56V (up to 1 hour run time, 2Ah battery)
    • Bosch 36V (up to 50 mins, 1.3Ah battery)
    • Victa 40V (up to 2hrs run time, 4Ah battery)

I like the idea of Stihl because they have some great options - mainly a whopping big backpack battery that could probably be swapped between different pieces of equipment and used all day long without worrying about running out of power. Also the longest blade length of the lot at 62cm.

I'm leaning towards the EGO at the moment - 5 year tool warranty, 610mm blade and 26mm cut capacity - pretty good! And the option to upgrade to a 6Ah battery - important because it doesn't make sense to buy a cheap tool that uses small capacity batteries, then you've gotta spend a packet on multiple batteries just to see you through a day.

The Bosch I don't know much about at all, but I had a Bosch corded blower vac in the past and it was rock solid reliable until I ran the vac over something I shouldn't have and the motor started smoking... It's on the shortlist because they make solid equipment, but I'm also thinking about possibly adding a line trimmer or blower etc. that uses the same battery system and I think Bosch falls down there.

Victa - another one I don't know much about. But it seems to have decent specs, although a brushed (not brushless) motor. They are also the only one with a cordless blower vac, but it has a pretty short run time & it looks like they only offer the 4Ah battery, nothing larger.

There's a couple of ways to think about it when choosing electric equipment - just get the one single piece of equipment that best suits your needs now, OR think about what equipment you might buy in the future and make the choice based on the battery system you want to use (much cheaper/easier to have the majority or all equipment that uses the same batteries & chargers).

Anyway I'll update with info as it comes. I'll probably go and look at the EGO gear first, I think the fact that it's sold at Trade Tools says a lot as well!
    And if anyone has thoughts to add, please do!

Cheers

Default Re: Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers

How long on average does the electric gear last conrad. Do you really feel its a viable option price wise?

How long does it last - as in run time per charge, or total equipment & battery life??

Whether it's a viable option price wise; that could depend a lot on an individuals view and how they approach their business. IE., whether they're the kind of person who keeps fixing old equipment, doesn't like buying new, saving money any way they can etc. Or whether they're the type of person to spend a bit more for quality equipment that is going to be more productive and cost less overall on maintenance, in both cost and time.

Personally I am very happy to pay a premium for good electric gear. To me the benefit of zero maintenance, no fuel or oil costs, no workshop repairs are well worth it. At least no workshop repairs as far as electric motors needing work. When something like a drive shaft breaks you're stuck either way... I do like tinkering on engines and other mechanical stuff - especially motorbikes. I recently did a new top end on my KTM 380 and new bearings, fork oil, etc. stripped it down to the frame and got it powdercoated and all that, I do pretty much everything on my GSX-R minus valve adjustments, but that and tyre changes will probably happen eventually as well. But when it comes to all the regular maintenance for petrol outdoor equipment I'd happily do without it. Spending time on the weekend working on motorbikes - no problem! Spending time on the weekend working on mowers, line trimmers, blowers - no thanks! I just mention all of that so you can get an idea of where I'm coming from.

My overall plan is still to be 100% electric in due time. Electricity will be free for me once I have my vehicle electrical install completed (alternator charger and solar panels, etc.). When I need to use my petrol gear - mainly blower/vac and backpack blower it's definitely a low point of the day. I don't miss all the exhaust fumes, noise & vibration. The quicker I can get away from that, the better! Fuel & premix isn't a big deal - but if I had a choice of recharging batteries each night (or charging from my vehicle during the day once that's all setup), compared with keeping jerry cans of fuel and refuelling equipment - I would choose batteries for sure. Changing a battery takes seconds, it's clean and super-quick. I really like it.

My experience using the Core hedge trimmer - I had no problems at all before this broken drive shaft. This unit was a bit of a strange setup, a bit cumbersome to use. But as far as getting the job done I never had any problems or wished for more power or anything like that. In the start I was wishing for more battery life, the hedge trimmer seemed to really chew through batteries faster than the line trimmer for instance - but I think that's because I was new to it and taking my time, not working particularly quickly or efficiently (still doing a good job tho!). Now it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue - I can trim a hedge much quicker, so I'm happy with the battery life.

But I should also mention that I've never used a petrol hedge trimmer either! The only other unit I can compare to is a cheap corded electric one from Aldi. (Never used that one for actual work, had it at home before I ever got started in mowing & gardening.)

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...nd-held-hedger

Here is thread that was started previously, scroll down & my thoughts about the electric hedger by Sthil are unchanged, very happy with the battery back pack.

I recently bought a ryobhi one plus cordless hedge trimmer for a back up. As I already had the ryobi drill and batteries thats why I went with it. Only used it on one job so far. Worked great. Can't tell you how long the battery lasts. As I said mine is a back up to my petrol hedge trimmer. Ryboi hedge trimmer seems light and well balanced to me.
    Cheers
    hjl

Hi Conrad i was talking machine longevity, we'd get 5 years plus out of a normal petrol powered brushies.

Cheers for that LGGF, good to see your thoughts about the Stihl!

hjl - is that Ryobi One+ the single line head? I can't imagine using that on the job... must be a bit slow going, especially if you're used to a petrol line trimmer?

Scooby Steve - I don't know if anyone can comment on machine longevity from actual experience, but thinking about other electric tools I can't see any reason why they wouldn't last 5 years (at least). Saving for poorly designed mechanisms etc. like my drive shaft that snapped on the Core trimmer... but I've had zero electrical problems - so as far as that goes, the electrickery is rock solid! I would suspect that longevity would depend a lot on brand and what spare parts are available, and how well the machine is designed. I guess the cheaper ones will be built as disposable items. Probably you would have to go up to Pellenc or perhaps Husqvarna to have fully serviceable machines.

And speaking about Husqvarna, I'm starting to get excited over here...
    I believe their range of professional battery series machines was just released in Australia on 1 October. And an interesting point, these machines are actually listed on their site for professional use, no if's but's or maybe's!

I looked up some vids on YouTube that have been up since May last year, so I guess the battery gear has been available in other countries since then. A good thing as they are somewhat a proven design. The pricing is a bit of a step up from Stihl cordless gear, but from what I've seen the Husqvarna cordless range is more on par with Pellenc than Stihl!!
    http://www.husqvarna.com/au/products/battery/
    Husky also have a backpack battery available - and it has larger capacity than biggest battery on offer from Pellenc (26.1Ah vs. 23.2Ah). Based on Pellenc 2013 prices (not sure on current prices) the Husky backpack is ~$1,000 less than the comparable battery from Pellenc. (But the Husky battery has 940Wh, the Pellenc has 1000Wh. Still don't have my head wrapped around how that works, different voltage batteries - but close enough that such a big $avings is a major deciding factor.)

Looking into the EGO gear a bit more - they don't use brushless motors (yet). They say there are plans to introduce brushless motors next season probably. But all those games with incremental upgrades and selling items only available in kits with small capacity batteries and regular/slow chargers as standard makes me think they're not really a professional option.

Might have to do my hedges by hand with the shears until I can decide on something. But I'm thinking the Husky gear looks like a seriously good option... Maybe I'll start with the hedge trimmer and transition over to the line trimmer when (if?) my current one craps out. Would be very nice to just have a single backpack battery that can be used for an entire days work, just put it on charge at night then do it all again the next day! Sure would take the hassle out of managing and carrying multiple batteries around!

I've been trying to find reviews, YouTube videos or anything that could give me an idea of how the Stihl, Husqvarna & Pellenc stack up in operation. Not much info out there, but I found this magazine comparo from July 2013. It's a line trimmer comparison, but gives an idea of the general pros/cons of each brand:
    http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2a7...esources/2.htm

Good to see an actual head-to-head review, it's pretty much what you already knew.
    Basically Pellenc is bees knees, very adjustable (4 speed modes, telescopic shaft & angle adjustable head - but they do ask whether all that is really required, they actually list it as a con). Very pricey though, but the tools are professional grade no question. Their batteries are pretty trick as well - a dealer could plug into them, see what tools it had been used with, and even tell if you'd been using a chainsaw with a dull chain (based on the power usage). But again, who really needs all that? Is it worth the cost?

Husqvarna - well built professional tools. At the time of the article they lost points because they didn't have a backpack battery - but that's fixed now. That was their only con. You can get it with bull horn handles as well, so suit yourself for whatever style you prefer. Interesting that these tools have been around for a little while now, so it's not like they're some unproven newcomer. That article is the only mention I've seen that their line trimmer can take 2 or 2.4mm line. If you want a pro level machine without breaking the bank, this is it.

Stihl - A good "toe in the water" option for a professional who wants to try out electric gear minus the mass cash outlay. But the range has definitely been designed and is intended as a "prosumer" machine (semi-professional). From what I've read, the backpack battery was an afterthought introduced after the tools to try and appeal more to the pro market. Still a solid performing machine, just with a plastic semi-pro build.

Next question: does anyone know a good Husqvarna dealer on Brisbane Northside (or just in Brisbane)?

Hi conrad
    My Ryobi one + is the hedge trimmer not the line trimmer. As I said only used as a back up. Like it so far.
    Cheers
    hjl

Right you are hjl, sorry my mistake!

Getting confused with trying to look at line trimmers to judge build quality across different brands. Who the hell started this thread anyway!?!

Hi conrad
    That would be you who started the thread.
    I thought you were smart the way you could pull things apart. I would not be game to do that.
    And no worries about the mistake. We all make them.
    Cheers
    hjl

Hey conrad this is a good thread as was the other thread about electric gear. Every time I fill up at the servo, spill fuel on my hands, breath in 2 stroke fumes, rattle my teeth out with vibrating hedge trimmers and whipper snippers I keep thinking there has to be a future for at least some electric gear.

My hedge trimmer is playing up. Its the makita whipper snipper hedger attachment. It's works well with fine stuff but as soon as i hit some hardwood branches like Photinia that are not even as thick as a pencil it vibrates (almost feels like metal on metal) and wont cut thru. The hedger blades are sharp. Any had a similar issue, might be time to replace it.

The reason I have posted this here is that it would be an ideal time to go electric as i'd be tempted to go to either a Shindy multitool setup OR should I go an electric hedger. IS it then worth considering electric whippy as I really want to cut down on vibration. Does anyone use electric whippy snippers with a backpack battery? How would that go? Can you still do vertical edging? Does electric result in less fatigue due to less vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    My hedge trimmer is playing up. Its the makita whipper snipper hedger attachment. It's works well with fine stuff but as soon as i hit some hardwood branches like Photinia that are not even as thick as a pencil it vibrates (almost feels like metal on metal) and wont cut thru. The hedger blades are sharp. Any had a similar issue, might be time to replace it.

The reason I have posted this here is that it would be an ideal time to go electric as i'd be tempted to go to either a Shindy multitool setup OR should I go an electric hedger. IS it then worth considering electric whippy as I really want to cut down on vibration. Does anyone use electric whippy snippers with a backpack battery? How would that go? Can you still do vertical edging? Does electric result in less fatigue due to less vibration.
    Shindy multi tool, electrics just not there yet for the serious stuff .................. I wish it was !
    Cheers Fred.

+ 1 For shindawia.
    Still commercial-Still smashing it.
    Cheers Astro.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast