Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Gearbox issues

Member of forum only grasshopping's Avatar

Default Gearbox issues

Hay fellas just a quick question. The 3 speed gearbox on the honda HRU216 Lawn mower when they need to be replacesd do you contractors replace it with a new one or do you get it rebuilt . There is a repairer in sydney toongabbie area that rebuild the gearboxes for $155.00 fitted if they repair it on the mower. If you take the gearbox out of the mower and just give the gearbox to be repaired it cost $88.00. So my questin is has any contractors have used this gearbox repairer and if so is it worth the expense and outcome has the gearbox still working . Or buy a brand new gearbox and put it in the way to go.

Thanks

Mark

Grasshopper mowing service

Default Re: Gearbox issues

Can't answer your question except the "Worth" part.
    Had a gen Honda transmission put in by my Husky/Honda dealer as a complete transmission. rear axle, bushes & bearings complete unit last Jan 18. Cost for complete unit was $334 and .75hr labour to remove / install at $63. Seeing I had no time to install it myself and at $63 labour I wouldn't bother even in winter to do it myself.
    So a bit of savings for having done with your guy if the job is done properly. But watch it that a part or component of the repair is not just cutting of one loop of the lower coil spring with a Dremel to get temporary improved clutch engagement.
    Cheers Garry

These gear boxes are easy to repair,usually a $20 part is all that's needed to get them woking again.This honda is known for their reliability and it's only the gearbox that works the hardest and in most cases you lose a gear.
    You can get a brand new one delivered to your door for $189
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Speed-...EAAOSwZ8ZXBdi7

Just replace with new, i have a new one waiting in the shed as stock with all cables. new bearing & bushes

PS: You can save a gearbox you think is stuffed, a lot of times the gear engaging cable is streached, not adjusted or the cable spring is weak, thats can give the appearance it stuffed but its not. These Box's need to be slammed into gear and held there tightly.

i have the HRY216m2 cable springs on all my HRU's its alot tougher than the old HRU216D springs, hold the gears in alot tighter. just need shorten them and bend a new hook to fit the older machines. Honda changed the spring on the new model to improve gearbox life and it worked.

s-l500.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-SPEED-...4383.l4275.c10

s-l500.jpg
    Older cable doesnt have as many coils and shorter
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUTCH-S....c100005.m1851

A gearbox that seems to be on its way out may just need a cable adjustment and a need for the stronger spring. my oldest HRU was slipping in and out of gear, sometimes the gears grinding, like it was stuffed. I adjusted the cable and put the newer model stronger spring on it, creating alot more tension holding it in gear and it didnt miss a beat for a further 2 years.

+ 1 to check cable first ... but if the gearbox has shattered gears then 155 is a bargain lol

The last mower i broke the gearbox on, I didn't bother fixing... just flogged it off on eBay. .. so depending on the overall condition might be a better option

Very Helpful Member

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

If the gearbox is clicking and clunking in most cases it is just the bolt needs tightening on the clamp at the end of the clutch cable that goes over the spline on the gearbox
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Just curious to find out,how long a run have you guys had out of a 3 speed gearbox
    How many years service before it started playing up on you

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Just curious to find out,how long a run have you guys had out of a 3 speed gearbox
    How many years service before it started playing up on you
    Got 4 years out of the original gearbox plus a set of cables, HRU216M2

a new gearbox went in 28 Apr, 2016, they can play up after a short time the new cable stretchs so adjustment is needed after about 50 hours, and periodically over it life.

i just adjusted the engaging cable today to the limit, the gearbox was playing up in 3rd gear yesterday, todays adjustment fixed it, it will need a new cable and spring next.

over two years with this one and going great, thats about 1,200 hrs runtime

my 15+ year old bushranger has the original 3sd tranny, still goes fine.............

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    my 15+ year old bushranger has the original 3sd tranny, still goes fine.............
    Same with my Honda 215 SP. Done a cable or 2