Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: new slasher in australia

Default new slasher in australia

Hey guys Just wanted to get your advice.
    I have been after a deutscher for years and haven't been able to get one I do about 4-5 good ferals a year but mostly regular stuff these days.
    I have a ride on which is 36" and sometimes its even too big to get out the back and then im up for a big slog with whippys and push mower tackling the overgrown stuff.
    now my local lawn mower shop has just started importing these south African slashers which are half the price of the deutscher.
    it is 30" cut, No reverse, 12hp Yamaha engine. it is all mechanical and really not much to break. now im just wondering do I really need it? I mean I do get through the ferals with the little gear eventually but we all know as im getting older I just want it to be easier on my body. so the big question is do I spend the money and let it sit in the garage but knowing I have it and when I use it I will be glad I have it...
    the mkower shop has lent it too me for a week to test her out. I like it but it is still a bit of work to manouvre
    here is a few pics..

20180720_133158.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: new slasher in australia

Question you have to ask yourself is
    "how many years will it take before i make a profit from it"

l'd be inclined towards a 32" Cox or Greenfield - chews through the ferals and gives a great finish on lawns as well. Fits through the gates your 36 wont ......probably find a used one for a similar price to the Protea?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Its a bit like. I have a scarifier and I use it a few times a year. Is it worth the upkeep for the few jobs. Probably not. I keep thinking I should sell it.
    Feral jobs are a bit more common than scarifying jobs but do you really want to pursue that line of work. Generally not repeat jobs. Guess it's all about the market you want to pursue as to your investment.

solid rubber rear wheels,so no punctures

Deutscher prices range from $2500-$5000 so what are you calling half price ?
    https://www.lawnmowerclinic.co.za/in...0-mower-detail

thanks for your help guys, im leaning towards buying it as its a bit of a steal and no doubt it will be handy for knocking tall stuff over...
    redeye, I been looking for a long time for a good used greenfield, only reason im leaning twards this protea as its smaller than the greenfield and lighter I have done some ferals where I have needed to lift mowers over steps and this protea it wont be easy to do it but I certainly can if I had too...
    gardening solutions,
    Great point. though my way of thinking is specially in winter being a bit slower if I had an opputunity to do a feral I certainly wouldn't knock it back, paying a mortgage I take everything I can get..in summer I wouldn't take as much ferals obviously having oodles of regulars but if I had time to do it I would....I think being a contractor you need to be able to handle any job you get thrown at..if you want the work..

I've bought a top of the range Deutscher before... after reading so much about them on here.... so overrated!

Honestly I can get through heavy stuff just as quickly with the honda hru216m2

Personally I think the best way to handle overgrown stuff is with a powerful whipper .... even better a big clearing saw with heavy duty line (unless you're doing big areas that need a slasher tractor etc)

Anyway I sold the Deutscher ages ago and not once have I ever even thought about it until now lol

750R...Got quoted $4000.Currently only one in stock

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    750R...Got quoted $4000.Currently only one in stock
    where from.?mine might be the the only 1 in stock..as this is a demo...…….

That price is from the Australian distributor same place you got the demo from,as he said they got "one" for demonstration purposes or for sale.
    If i need scarifyer parts that's the only place i can buy them i regularly check their web site for new stuff,Iv'e heard all their products are good quality if you get the slasher it should last a long time.
    OR
    buy a second hand Deutscher for $800 spend $600-$700 if needed and have a reliable machine cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    That price is from the Australian distributor same place you got the demo from,as he said they got "one" for demonstration purposes or for sale.
    If i need scarifyer parts that's the only place i can buy them i regularly check their web site for new stuff,Iv'e heard all their products are good quality if you get the slasher it should last a long time.
    OR
    buy a second hand Deutscher for $800 spend $600-$700 if needed and have a reliable machine cheaper
    yea this is the one then...I have been after a deutscher for years couldn't find one 2nd hand and I was looking for ages. I gave up
    who did you speak with from macarther mowers.?

.....Brett G...
    Was thinking if cheap enough i'd get one,but not cheap enough would take a long time in jobs to pay it off ..i'll stick with the mulchmaster for slashing

Greenie
    We always have deutschers for sale here in SA,just check out Gumtree.
    About 4 weeks ago i advertised my dethatcher for sale and a guy drove over from Victoria to buy it.
    You may need to do the same by going into another state to get one.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ross...her/1194876154

Did notice a fair amount of contractors gear showing up for sale as mentioned and including the deutschers.Contractors have already started ditching their gear and getting out of the business knowing the drought is coming and machines will sell at a better price now.
    But we see this every year,should be able to pick up a few bargains.Or next batch after will be near Xmass