Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Honda 2 speed gearbox

Default Honda 2 speed gearbox

I've got an old HRU214 that I'm tinkering with.
    It drives in 1st gear no problem, but when I push the lever to 2nd gear, it will change gear ok, but it doesn't want to stay in 2nd gear.

There is resistance in the lever when trying to put it into 2nd, but it pushes the plunger at the gearbox ok & changes gear, but nothing seems to lock it in 2nd. hit a bump & the plunger pops out and it goes back to 1st gear.

Any ideas?

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Honda 2 speed gearbox

could it be one of the springs not applying enough pressure to hold it in place
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks Ian. I reduced the tension on a spring at the top of the cable and it seems to stay in 2nd a bit better now.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Thanks Ian. I reduced the tension on a spring at the top of the cable and it seems to stay in 2nd a bit better now.
    So I was wrong and it was a spring applying to much tension not one applying to little
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

No no Ian. It's not fixed properly yet so you could still be on the money.
    I've got a feeling that the plunger thing that puts the gearbox into 2nd should have some sort of detent that holds it in, but I'm not going to worry too much anymore. At best it would be my 3rd in line spare push mower

Very Helpful Member

Thanks again Ian.
    Doesn't look like anything down there is amiss. Might just make a hook or something on the lever on the handlebar to keep it in 2nd gear position.

might be a stretched cable

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I don't think so Paul. I've had to loosen the cable right off to let the lever move past halfway towards the 2 position. Maybe someone put the wrong cable on 20 years ago .

Mystery solved. There is a spring between the cable & shift lever that was on backwards. That was stopping the lever from going over-centre and locking in position.

All good now.
    IMG_20180731_170548rs.jpg