Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Solar = Zero Power Bill or close too

Default Solar = Zero Power Bill or close too

Guys/Girls,

We used to have $650 power bills qtrly. Got 4.86kw LG Neon system 4 yrs ago and dropped the bill to $40 qtrly or less.
    Wife home every day now with progressive disability and me home more often to look after her and bill is $40 - $50 monthly now and $75 over last August with winter plus heating 20sq house. (These power charges prior to last weeks system upgrade).
    We run lots of gear including big shed, 10.5mt pool/heating and Alarm/CCTV and have shut off gas central & gas log fire heating and use multiple electric split systems for all climate control now.

Last week we updated the system to 9kw with LG Neon2 and Solar Edge fully optimised after waiting 2mths for Austnet approval. Have perfect compass bearing and location for solar on a elevated lge block.

Expect to never worry about power bills with full house refrigerated cooling in out 40+ summer and full electricity heating. Plus heat pool for 5 months to help wife's condition and do what we like re power usage mind set.
    Currently in between seasons (Oct), so not heating pool or using heating or cooling so exporting 80% daily at the moment. That will stay similar in summer as the days get longer whilst usage will increase.

Life style thing to reduce a major cost further in retirement and I have no faith any gov will lower or even control power bills moving forward. Plus system battery ready for when the Au power prices/daily supply charges go crazy further down the track

Happy Days, and yes there was a $$$ cost to do it and even higher putting the best available inverter/panel system in. Didn't qualify for Vic gov rebate due to system upgrade.

But with the generous rebate offered its a great time to put a new system in Vic peoples before the election encase they don't get re elected
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Solar = Zero Power bill

There are Solar plans that will give 10c, 11.3 and even 20cents export at the moment.
    My offpeak usage plan charge is 14cents inc gst with daily supply charge at 1.12inc gst in country Vic where prices are generally higher than say Melb. Negotiate hard for best price. With the 20cent plans only good for very large systems exporting larges amounts to offset the higher import usage and daily charge costs.

1st July 2019 in Vic its been legislated 29cents higher demand time export 3pm to 9pm with a 1yr grace period for power retailer since 1st July 2018, so I put 30% of my panels facing west, plus I had to re running out of ideal roof space. But I don't expect this legislation to stay long with frequent change of Gov's, be it at state or Federal level.
    Cheers Garry

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Solar = Zero Power bill

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    1st July 2019 in Vic its been legislated 29cents higher demand time export 3pm to 9pm
    Yeah it's a great idea except
    1st July 2019 sunset Albury N.S.W 5.16 p.m
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Default Re: Solar = Zero Power Bill or close too

Yer agree, but say Oct to early April + daylight sav its gona make a bit more $$ in export at the higher rate. Overall exporting buckets loads everyday though. But with Gov's mucking around with power and possibly further changes to the rates like the way Pm's & state guys come and goes, who know's.
    But just setting us up for none to minimal power stress till in the wooden box or plastic container.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Guys/Girls,

We used to have $650 power bills qtrly. Got 4.86kw LG Neon system 4 yrs ago and dropped the bill to $40 qtrly or less.
    Wife home every day now with progressive disability and me home more often to look after her and bill is $40 - $50 monthly now and $75 over last August with winter plus heating 20sq house. (These power charges prior to last weeks system upgrade).
    We run lots of gear including big shed, 10.5mt pool/heating and Alarm/CCTV and have shut off gas central & gas log fire heating and use multiple electric split systems for all climate control now.

Last week we updated the system to 9kw with LG Neon2 and Solar Edge fully optimised after waiting 2mths for Austnet approval. Have perfect compass bearing and location for solar on a elevated lge block.

Expect to never worry about power bills with full house refrigerated cooling in out 40+ summer and full electricity heating. Plus heat pool for 5 months to help wife's condition and do what we like re power usage mind set.
    Currently in between seasons (Oct), so not heating pool or using heating or cooling so exporting 80% daily at the moment. That will stay similar in summer as the days get longer whilst usage will increase.

Life style thing to reduce a major cost further in retirement and I have no faith any gov will lower or even control power bills moving forward. Plus system battery ready for when the Au power prices/daily supply charges go crazy further down the track

Happy Days, and yes there was a $$$ cost to do it and even higher putting the best available inverter/panel system in. Didn't qualify for Vic gov rebate due to system upgrade.

But with the generous rebate offered its a great time to put a new system in Vic peoples before the election encase they don't get re elected
    thats awesome

Hope your getting ready for the 40-45+ temps coming this Summer up your way. Your always 2-3+ hotter than us on the putrid days.
    The Hume weir is 40% lower this year with Dartmouth being released at the moment to hold it steady. If no solid rains next winter our Murray will be stuffed and water restrictions will come in heavy.
    I may need these solar panels to lower household bills as I feel next year is going to very sad for mowing people also along the river.
    Henty Field days recorded low sales too, due to the farmers struggling.

Phew, may need to get a well installed next..
    Cheers Garry