Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Using weedkillers around pets with nervous owners. Pelargonic Acid vs Pine Oil

Default Using weedkillers around pets with nervous owners. Pelargonic Acid vs Pine Oil

Have a few clients that don't want the normal chemicals used in the back garden because they're worried about their pets. Most are happy to keep pets clear of treated areas for an hour after spraying to be sure it's all dry but some want to take further precautions. I have used pine oil before and I'm thinking of trying Pelargonic Acid (Nonanoic Acid) - 'Slasher' now.

I'm wondering if anyone in the forum has used both and would like to comment on the relative effectiveness of each. Will check Globe Growing Solutions prices tomorrow but as a guide for now, Slasher is $86.90 fof 5L at Bunnings and Pine Oil ('Weed Blitz' - Amgrow) is $381 for 15L. Dilution rate for backpack for Slasher is 70ml per litre. Can't remember dilution rate for pine oil.

Default Re: Using weedkillers around pets with nervous owners. Pelargonic Acid vs Pine Oil

I haven't used either, but more clients are more reluctant to let me use glyphosate lately.

On price alone, I'll try Slasher. $296 for 20 L @ 70ml/L dilution = $15.54 per 15L knapsack.

Weed Blitz- $381 for 15 L @ 200ml/litre dilution = $76.20 per 15L knapsack.

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Using weedkillers around pets with nervous owners. Pelargonic Acid vs Pine Oil

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I haven't used either, but more clients are more reluctant to let me use glyphosate lately.

On price alone, I'll try Slasher. $296 for 20 L @ 70ml/L dilution = $15.54 per 15L knapsack.

Weed Blitz- $381 for 15 L @ 200ml/litre dilution = $76.20 per 15L knapsack.
    So roughly 15 times the price of glyphosate with the added benefit of more chance of regrowth and therefore repeat business
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    So roughly 15 times the price of glyphosate with the added benefit of more chance of regrowth and therefore repeat business
    Yep .. probably more. My glypho works out to about 50 cents/knapsack. Won't be convinced the organics are safe until I see someone drink a glass of pelargonuims or pine oil though so the 'danger factor' will still have to be accounted for

slasher we use now more expensive but results are great and actually you can see results much quicker than glypho..after the big who hah with the round up on the telly the other day customers are getting worried ..so i show them the slasher organic formulae but have to point out its so much more expensive ...they pay the extra so who gives lol.....I am using the slasher at the schools i look after the committee love it ..mindyou at 70 mm per litre its 7 times dearer ...

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Yep, for some people Tiddles and Rover are much more important than money.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    Yep, for some people Tiddles and Rover are much more important than money.
    I believe Glyphosate in the early test phase was tested on dogs with no adverse reactions at a high dose,I doubt the newer chemicals are tested on live animals
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    slasher we use now more expensive but results are great and actually you can see results much quicker than glypho..after the big who hah with the round up on the telly the other day customers are getting worried ..so i show them the slasher organic formulae but have to point out its so much more expensive ...they pay the extra so who gives lol.....I am using the slasher at the schools i look after the committee love it ..mindyou at 70 mm per litre its 7 times dearer ...
    Geoff, do you find that you use more slasher mix on a job than glypho? Slasher seems to emphasize that you need to cover the plant pretty thoroughly, but I'm not so fussy with glypho.

I mentioned Slasher to the principal of my school and she jumped at it even after I told her it would probably cost over $100 extra per treatment.

Absolute you use far more as you need to ensure the weed is totally covers but as you say they are prepared to pay for it. You can can buy it in bulk which is cheaper of course but my schools and mothers of young kids and pet lovers really appreciate what you are trying to achieve... whether glysi is safe or not slasher is a natural product and is easy to sell even though 7 times dearer .... personally I find customers jump at the idea like your principle...

Where is the best place to buy slasher, online or ontherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Where is the best place to buy slasher, online or ontherwise?
    I tried to get some slasher from my local CRT rural supplies and they tell me they have none in QLD until mid Nov. Then it will be $350-400.

OCP online store has 20L for $286 + $40 flat rate freight.

Bos Rural (SE Qld & WA) has 20L for $296 + ?? freight.
    Farmcraft (SE Qld) has it for $326 in store.
    Doesn't look like Globe carries it.

I have no Bunnings nearby, but they have 5L for $87. = $348 for 20L

So not a huge difference in price whichever way.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I tried to get some slasher from my local CRT rural supplies and they tell me they have none in QLD until mid Nov. Then it will be $350-400.

OCP online store has 20L for $286 + $40 flat rate freight.

Bos Rural (SE Qld & WA) has 20L for $296 + ?? freight.
    Farmcraft (SE Qld) has it for $326 in store.
    Doesn't look like Globe carries it.

I have no Bunnings nearby, but they have 5L for $87. = $348 for 20L

So not a huge difference in price whichever way.
    Thanks , was thinking bunnings wth 5% power pass discount seemed ok