Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric mower showdown

Default Electric mower showdown

Hey there crew,
    I have a few clients with stairs and I'm in the market for a Electric mower, I will use this mower once a day and all the rest will be done with my 216 S/P.
    I'll only be using this mower on my regular clients..so its well kept lawns

Ive been doing a bit of research and have narrowed it down to three

The EGO LM 200 IE 56V ... 19" Cut
    weight :26.2kg,no battery
    plastic deck
    RRP $699
    https://egopowerplus.com.au/collecti...9cm-lawn-mower

The AEG 58V ...18" Cut
    Weight 27kgs, No battery
    steel deck
    RRP $799
    https://www.aegpowertools.com.au/pow...me=lawn-mowers

The Victa 82V .. 18"cut
    weight 21kgs .. No battery
    steel deck
    RRP $499
    https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...mower-kit.html

Value for money....the Victa seems like a winner ..

what do you guys thinks ?
    B.L.T.H Brake late,turn hard

Default Re: Electric mower showdown

just looking at Choice reviews, they all come in at about the same - something to consider is blade availability?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

not much happens around this site huh.....bit of a Ghost town...

The Victa has a great engine.. but what let it down was the chassis and catcher size.
    I bought the EGO LM2100E (52cm) which is the next model up from the base $699 model..
    I'm looking forward to using it
    V8dA94.jpg
    B.L.T.H Brake late,turn hard

............he come early

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

The Victa 82V 18" 'Power Cut' model seems to have a 1500W motor compared to the 1200W motor of the 21" 'Wide Cut'. Probably because the 21" was introduced into the market well before the 18" model. Once they've sold out of current stock of the 21", I would expect it to have the same 1500W motor.

Confusingly the Victa website says the 18" is 1200W but the Victa produced video for the 18" (which you can see on the Bunnings website) says it's 1.5 kilowatts (i.e. 1500W). Others have said the box confirms it's 1500W - link => here.

The Masport badged 18" has the same 82V Briggs & Stratton setup and it's website says 1500W.

I've heard the Ego mower, despite being only 56V also has a 1500W motor.

Nice. Is that the self propelled version?

I’ve been saying for years - don’t buy based on one piece of equipment alone (nor cheapest price). With battery gear you really are buying into the battery system, so you need to make the choice based on the overall range of tools that you’re likely to use.

My Mean Green 20” push mower packed it in this week, and the simple relay replacement that’s got it going again in the past didn’t do the trick this time. I was probably 5 years overdue to have a backup push mower anyway. ��

I had been looking at Ego and the Stihl options, but I didn’t realise that Husqvarna has a new 19” self propelled push mower out. Seeing as I have all the other Husky battery gear I took my own advice and stayed with them for the mower. LC 347VLi - already put it to work on a few jobs, will be having a closer look tomorrow on my own lawn and will post up some photos & initial impressions.

Very Helpful Member

does anyone know a way to speed these up top speed 4.5kph seems a bit to slow for me
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    does anyone know a way to speed these up top speed 4.5kph seems a bit to slow for me
    How fast do you think the 'average rev raised 216' is in comparison? That still isn't fast enough for me sometimes lol

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Nice. Is that the self propelled version?

I’ve been saying for years - don’t buy based on one piece of equipment alone (nor cheapest price). With battery gear you really are buying into the battery system, so you need to make the choice based on the overall range of tools that you’re likely to use.

My Mean Green 20” push mower packed it in this week, and the simple relay replacement that’s got it going again in the past didn’t do the trick this time. I was probably 5 years overdue to have a backup push mower anyway. ��

I had been looking at Ego and the Stihl options, but I didn’t realise that Husqvarna has a new 19” self propelled push mower out. Seeing as I have all the other Husky battery gear I took my own advice and stayed with them for the mower. LC 347VLi - already put it to work on a few jobs, will be having a closer look tomorrow on my own lawn and will post up some photos & initial impressions.
    Seems like a better quality frame and design than the Stihl I had... motor sounds and seems to have similar power

Looking forward to verdict

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    How fast do you think the 'average rev raised 216' is in comparison? That still isn't fast enough for me sometimes lol
    Stock standard
    1st 0.8m/sec ( 2.9k/h) 2nd 1.1m/sec (3.96k/h) 3rd 1.4m/sec (5.0k/h)

Increasing revs from 2800/2900 to 3600 should give about 25% increase so 1st. 1.0m/sec (3.6k/h) 2nd 1.38m/sec (5.0k/h) 3rd 1.75m/sec (6.3k/h)

Replacing rear wheels with HRC drive wheels should add about another 12.5% to this so 1st 1.12m/sec(4.0k/h) 2nd 1.55m/sec(5.58k/h) 3rd 1.96m/sec (7.0k/h
    i usually only use 3rd 1st thing in the morning or when I have larger more open lawns
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Stock standard
    1st 0.8m/sec ( 2.9k/h) 2nd 1.1m/sec (3.96k/h) 3rd 1.4m/sec (5.0k/h)

Increasing revs from 2800/2900 to 3600 should give about 25% increase so 1st. 1.0m/sec (3.6k/h) 2nd 1.38m/sec (5.0k/h) 3rd 1.75m/sec (6.3k/h)

Replacing rear wheels with HRC drive wheels should add about another 12.5% to this so 1st 1.12m/sec(4.0k/h) 2nd 1.55m/sec(5.58k/h) 3rd 1.96m/sec (7.0k/h
    i usually only use 3rd 1st thing in the morning or when I have larger more open lawns
    I probably can't get those speeds once the rear rubber wears off

I didn't know the HRC wheels are bigger... have you got a link for a reasonable price?

I like to be able to lower the revs and drive in 3rd gear when conditions suit but wish was faster
    Was even thinking of screwing rubber around rear wheels but looks a bit dodgy lol

Very Helpful Member

Depends on your definition of reasonable It also depends on shipping and the exchange rate don't forget you also have to add GST I brought mine a few years ago from boats .net I think I paid about $110-120 a pair delivered look like they have gone up and the $A has dropped not sure how things go now with the GST from these places
    http://www.boats.net/product/honda/4...362065d6380733
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jac.../42810vb5f43zb

note that using HRC wheels on the back raises the back about 12.7mm unfortunately unless you are more of a handy man than me you still have to use the 8" on the front as they won't fit

As for retreading the wheels I use mountain bike tyres from hard rubbish collections gives much better grip

Depends on your definition of reasonable It also depends on shipping and the exchange rate don't forget you also have to add GST I brought mine a few years ago from boats .net I think I paid about $110-120 a pair delivered look like they have gone up and the $A has dropped not sure how things go now with the GST from these places
    http://www.boats.net/product/honda/4...362065d6380733
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jac.../42810vb5f43zb

note that using HRC wheels on the back raises the back about 12.7mm unfortunately unless you are more of a handy man than me you still have to use the 8" on the front as they won't fit

As for retreading the wheels I use mountain bike tyres from hard rubbish collections gives much better grip
    Seems like it would be closer to 150 AUD at the moment!
    Not sure if reasonable for wheels although I was prepared to spend 150-200 on a shovel if there was one that was made extra strong and wouldn't bend... bunnings topped out at 65 so I've basically saved over $100

If they come recommended then might be worth a try
    I like black and found these which will come up slightly cheaper with eBay 5% off code.... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163025829580

Don't suppose you know if they will fit too?
    I've got the 216m2 and have bought rear wheels off eBay then found the cogs were a bit different fit
    What model is yours?
    If I change the front its gonna start getting unreasonably expensive I think

Does the higher rear affect the cut?
    Bike tyres good idea!

Very Helpful Member

I have TPE 216's brought from masters so basically the same as the DMC chondas
    I don't think it has changed the cut
    with the bike tyres I use either construction adhesive or silicon and 25mm screws between the treads about 25mm apart in a zigzag pattern if you put them on the back it will increase the diameter of the wheels which will give a slight increase in the speed I haven't brought a new set of wheels since i started doing this and I have 2 or 3 unused pairs in the shed

Very Helpful Member

I just checked Boats.net and the ratchet on the ones you linked appears to be the same as on mine so they should fit mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast