Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rake / Shovel

Default Re: Rake / Shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Thanks Joe, very interesting.... hopefully I won't need any of them though... can be an expensive habit

Also still waiting on the Arborrakes.... apparently delayed until at least end of March
    Chris,
    The ergonomics of tools is very important I have discovered to my pain and expense as a real amateur laying bricks.

My brick trowel wore out/broke (250mm trowel) and pretty well all avail after much looking around were 300mm diamond pattern trowels ....
    Result was heavier and different loading on hand which produced strained tendons in hand which made grasping movements painful... 2 months treatment /exercises from along with 'light hand duties' recommended by my physio.
    Have since managed to find a 250mm trowel (not easy) ... should have taken to longer one with angle grinder!

Anyway, it highlights how ergonomics are so important and a simple tool with wrong ergonomics can easily do serious mischief.

Joe.

Joe, love the rakes... got the large one and the original arborrake

Can't say much about the service though.... had to follow up several times to see when in stock. they couldn't find the order i put through..
    Asked twice for a tax invoice to be sent and still no reply....

What's your thoughts on the hansa c21 chipper? Notice in another thread you own a 'proper' 6inch chipper.

Good that you got the rakes and love them.
    Afraid I cannot comment on service as I have only bought face-face at Wandin field day and carried away the goods..

Re Hansa chipper ...
    I think they are probably fairly well made. They rely on gravity / angle of input to pull material into blade.
    When I was shopping aroung, I looked at the Red Roo which is made here in Melb and which seems to be favoured by hire places. Similar mechanism to hansa.

But then I came across 'a bit tired' Vermeer 6" with hydraulic roller feed (Rayco and other brands are almost look alikes) at a very good price -- under the $4k price & I was hooked. Havent seen one at that sort of price since.
    Its a size that the tree loppers consider a 'bit small' but ideal for the stuff I have to deal with on my place.
    Weight can be bit of issue as it comes it at around 850-900kg.

Needed some new main bearings and some tlc (did it all myself) & could do with a bit more now.. Powered by a 22hp Vanguard motor (had a Kohler that was replaced before I bought it).
    The flat bed hydraulic pull in feed of up to 6" material beats the angled feed of the others.....

Joe.

That's a great buy! .... I'll keep a look out myself

You're right about the hydro feed chippers ... I think it's worthwhile stepping up to the next model to get a machine that is much more efficient ... check this out:

https://youtu.be/_8LmgKpCYPM
    It's about 30k compared to the c21 @ 15k although probably worthwhile over the long term if you do a lot of trees

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    You're right about the hydro feed chippers ... I think it's worthwhile stepping up to the next model to get a machine that is much more efficient ... check this out:

https://youtu.be/_8LmgKpCYPM
    It's about 30k compared to the c21 @ 15k although probably worthwhile over the long term if you do a lot of trees
    The Hansa C27 appears similar to the Vermeer BC625 and the 6" Rayco and the like
    I think the Vermeer was the first around in disk chippers , and others have used pretty well the same concept/similar design.

Couple of nice features in the Hansa C27 video ....
    1. the adjustable knife blades rather than having to adjust the anvil .... should be simpler when knives are changed. Hopefully having the knife bolts go through a slot still holds the knives securely.
    2. the whole chipper assembly on a turntable seems nice so you can position feed tray in a safe/convenient direction.
    Problem may be durability of this as there is lot of vibration transmitted to chassis and have noticed on my (its an old well used vermeer) that the chipper housing to trailer welds is one of the metal fatigue points.

In any case watch the 'throat size' .. those with a rectangular throat are more forgiving when feeding material with branches (at the fork point).

its a fair investment at $27k, but if you keep an eye open, have seen similar (vermeer, rayco etc) machines in good order going on gumtree and facebook around the $10k mark. They should have plenty life left in them for non professional use -- that is not full time tree lopping where machine is going all dsy every day. Often seller is eanting to upgrade to a bigger machine.
    In any case, under the current deprecistion tax rules, if its costs under $20k, its 100% tax deduction in year of purchase.

Here is example of one currently on Facebook marketplace.