Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Rake / Shovel

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Rake / Shovel

    What's the best rake for cleaning up after a job?
    I usually buy either
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...-rake_p3360560

    Or

    https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-...-rake_p0014480

    The fiskars was actually really good but they both don't last long raking on concrete etc
    Are their better alternatives or best to just replace them every few months?


    Also I'm buying a new shovel ... was thinking this one if anyone has any thoughts or reviews
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...hovel_p3360944
    Mainly used for digging out old plants etc so something strong with long handle for leverage would be good

    What are you guys using?

  2. #2
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    I use http://www.bunnings.com.au/44cm-plas...-rake_p3350684 don't last ages but I just buy another (actually I haven't brought one in ages I was at the tip and someone had cut the handles off 5 rakes and thrown the heads in the bin on the last one now almost due to buy one )
    I recently snapped the handle on one of my shovels (10-15 years) so I just brought http://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-fib...hovel_p3350805 don't know how long it will last
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  3. #3
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    632

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I use http://www.bunnings.com.au/44cm-plas...-rake_p3350684 don't last ages but I just buy another (actually I haven't brought one in ages I was at the tip and someone had cut the handles off 5 rakes and thrown the heads in the bin on the last one now almost due to buy one )
    I recently snapped the handle on one of my shovels (10-15 years) so I just brought http://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-fib...hovel_p3350805 don't know how long it will last
    The ArborRake is pretty hard to beat. Avail in 2 widths ---- the grass model is the one for fast area cleanups. They are virtually indestructible.
    Avail from a number of suppliers --- Arbormaster (Bayswater Vic) and I bought mine from the DeWit tool seller who was at a Wandin field day a couple of years ago.

    https://www.arbormaster.com.au/produ...odpicks/rakes/
    https://shop.turfmate.com.au/products/arbor-rake
    https://www.facebook.com/Arborrakes-120563268028866/

    Next in line after that is the Cyclone leaf rake (green plastic with aluminium handle) which has proven to be very durable ad good tool for raking and spreading / levelling gravel on driveways etc.

    If you have to pick up pieces of wood (logs etc), the Wood pick (not cheap) is the best thing ever made.
    https://www.arbormaster.com.au/shop/...ood-pick-40cm/

    Joe

  4. #4
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I use http://www.bunnings.com.au/44cm-plas...-rake_p3350684 don't last ages but I just buy another (actually I haven't brought one in ages I was at the tip and someone had cut the handles off 5 rakes and thrown the heads in the bin on the last one now almost due to buy one )
    I recently snapped the handle on one of my shovels (10-15 years) so I just brought http://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-fib...hovel_p3350805 don't know how long it will last
    Thanks, ended up get the cyclone shovel.... hoping bunnings lifetime warranty will cover me if it brakes

    Still on the lookout for a more hardcore rake as I brake everything lol

  5. #5
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    The ArborRake is pretty hard to beat. Avail in 2 widths ---- the grass model is the one for fast area cleanups. They are virtually indestructible.
    Avail from a number of suppliers --- Arbormaster (Bayswater Vic) and I bought mine from the DeWit tool seller who was at a Wandin field day a couple of years ago.

    https://www.arbormaster.com.au/produ...odpicks/rakes/
    https://shop.turfmate.com.au/products/arbor-rake
    https://www.facebook.com/Arborrakes-120563268028866/

    Next in line after that is the Cyclone leaf rake (green plastic with aluminium handle) which has proven to be very durable ad good tool for raking and spreading / levelling gravel on driveways etc.

    If you have to pick up pieces of wood (logs etc), the Wood pick (not cheap) is the best thing ever made.
    https://www.arbormaster.com.au/shop/...ood-pick-40cm/

    Joe

    Thanks for the info Joe - I've never seen the Arborrakes before

    I usually use a rake to drag heavy piles of hedge clippings etc over concrete paths/ drives which is obviously what kills them. I know that's not what they are really for

    According to this site http://www.plantmultinursery.com/arborrakes
    The 16 tooth one sounds like made for sweeping over roads and concrete
    Have you compared that one

    Can't seem to find any over in Melbourne's west although can get all 3 shipped for about $160

  6. #6

    Thumbs down Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    What's the best rake for cleaning up after a job?
    I usually buy either
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...-rake_p3360560

    Or

    https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-...-rake_p0014480

    The fiskars was actually really good but they both don't last long raking on concrete etc
    Are their better alternatives or best to just replace them every few months?


    Also I'm buying a new shovel ... was thinking this one if anyone has any thoughts or reviews
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...hovel_p3360944
    Mainly used for digging out old plants etc so something strong with long handle for leverage would be good

    What are you guys using?
    What I won't be using are rakes from Bunnings!!!!!
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    What I won't be using are rakes from Bunnings!!!!!
    So what do you use?
    Better be good

  8. #8
    Senior Member djkgrounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deception Bay Qld
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    I have never had any issues with the Cyclone rake from Bunnings, I have 2 of them they get used all the time, My last one died after about 4 years. and I finally lost a tooth on one of the ones I use now and they are about 3 years old. I will be replacing the rubbish alloy handles that they come with soon though.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

  9. #9

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    So what do you use?
    Better be good
    Have a cyclone one from Bunnings which is good BUT the other smaller ones are all crap. I use the smaller ones more than the cyclone

    Too bendy or break to easy, wear out quickly, cheap crap metal handles that bend etc etc .

    I will have to look in another hardware store - just gotta find one
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  10. #10
    Senior Member sterlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South East Melbourne
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    What I won't be using are rakes from Bunnings!!!!!
    don't tell me u found a cheaper place john....
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....


    http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

  11. #11

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by sterlo View Post
    don't tell me u found a cheaper place john....
    Sure did! the ones in your trailer. don't know where you get them from but I got it at a really good price!!
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  12. #12
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    632

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Thanks for the info Joe - I've never seen the Arborrakes before

    I usually use a rake to drag heavy piles of hedge clippings etc over concrete paths/ drives which is obviously what kills them. I know that's not what they are really for

    According to this site http://www.plantmultinursery.com/arborrakes
    The 16 tooth one sounds like made for sweeping over roads and concrete
    Have you compared that one

    Can't seem to find any over in Melbourne's west although can get all 3 shipped for about $160

    I have the 48tooth / 94cm Arborrake and its magic for moving stuff.
    Son in law who had wholesale nursery put me onto it and said go for the big one -- you wont be disappointed.
    Don't think you will damage the big one on roadways --- you can pretty well drive a vehicle over them without doing damage to rake.
    Pity you cant find a supplier in the Melb west, but check out Sendle (sendle.com.au) who might give a much better deal on courier/freight for getting it to you.

    The 16tooth one is more akin to the Cyclone lead rake.
    The other great tool is a Medallist brand "Landscapers Fork" that Mitre10 (at least in Bayswater Vic) stock. I find it just the right shape for scooping up mulch, leaves etc and used 'in reverse', you scrape/rake with it.

    http://nudgeeroadlandscapes.com.au/b..._image&pID=289

    Joe.

  13. #13
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    632

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Chris,
    Check is you can just buy the rake head -- without handle - afaik, some places sell the handle as an 'extra'. The ash handle is nice, but it just takes a 28mm x 1.4m round handle.
    If thats the case, freight/courier cost with someone like sendle, or even Aust Post parcel should be well under $20.

    Joe.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    I have the 48tooth / 94cm Arborrake and its magic for moving stuff.
    Son in law who had wholesale nursery put me onto it and said go for the big one -- you wont be disappointed.
    Don't think you will damage the big one on roadways --- you can pretty well drive a vehicle over them without doing damage to rake.
    Pity you cant find a supplier in the Melb west, but check out Sendle (sendle.com.au) who might give a much better deal on courier/freight for getting it to you.

    The 16tooth one is more akin to the Cyclone lead rake.
    The other great tool is a Medallist brand "Landscapers Fork" that Mitre10 (at least in Bayswater Vic) stock. I find it just the right shape for scooping up mulch, leaves etc and used 'in reverse', you scrape/rake with it.

    http://nudgeeroadlandscapes.com.au/b..._image&pID=289

    Joe.
    These things are really hard to find!
    Arbormaster / Red Shed only have the smaller one
    I've sent a message to a distributor who said they have the rakes at Cannings - Have sent email to find out if they have the large one
    The only other place I can find is http://www.plantmultinursery.com/arborrakes who are going to call supplier and see if they can get larger size
    I trimmed hedges on both sides of a long wide flat driveway yesterday.... Was thinking this rake would be a game changer lol

  15. #15
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Rake / Shovel

    Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    I have never had any issues with the Cyclone rake from Bunnings, I have 2 of them they get used all the time, My last one died after about 4 years. and I finally lost a tooth on one of the ones I use now and they are about 3 years old. I will be replacing the rubbish alloy handles that they come with soon though.
    Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Have a cyclone one from Bunnings which is good BUT the other smaller ones are all crap. I use the smaller ones more than the cyclone

    Too bendy or break to easy, wear out quickly, cheap crap metal handles that bend etc etc .

    I will have to look in another hardware store - just gotta find one
    I find the cyclones okay... just wear out quickly for me dragging stuff on concrete.... aren't really made for that I guess
    If you like them, you'll probably like the fiskars a bit better that I linked in first post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •