Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rake / Shovel

Default Re: Rake / Shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    These things are really hard to find!
    Arbormaster / Red Shed only have the smaller one
    I've sent a message to a distributor who said they have the rakes at Cannings - Have sent email to find out if they have the large one
    The only other place I can find is http://www.plantmultinursery.com/arborrakes who are going to call supplier and see if they can get larger size
    I trimmed hedges on both sides of a long wide flat driveway yesterday.... Was thinking this rake would be a game changer lol
    Can buy the 94cm Jost rakehead (aka Arborrake) from the online shop here for $50 + about $15 freight
    http://m.europeantoolsaustralia.com....huna-94cm-rake

Also saw on their FB page that arborrakes are supposedly avail by order from 'Home Hardware' stores -- should be one of those out your way.

have you tried google search for 'jost rre48e24' rake? It appears Jost is the Begian maker

joe

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Can buy the 94cm Jost rakehead (aka Arborrake) from the online shop here for $50 + about $15 freight
    http://m.europeantoolsaustralia.com....huna-94cm-rake

Also saw on their FB page that arborrakes are supposedly avail by order from 'Home Hardware' stores -- should be one of those out your way.

have you tried google search for 'jost rre48e24' rake? It appears Jost is the Begian maker

joe
    They are out of stock at the moment.... expected to arrive end of January!

How is that long handle shovel going?

I don't think the long handle is there for leverage, more for saving your back as you don't need to bend over as much but you go for it! Haha

Was just going to mention that I got a great stainless steel shovel from Bunnings when I first started the business - I had a quick look online and could't see it there any more... shame! It had a really comfy handle that split to both sides at the shovel end so you could place your foot directly in the middle of the shovel head. Will have to remember to take a photo when I go out to the truck... cost $80 about 5 years ago which seems pretty good now!

I would look for something like this if I ever broke this one: https://www.digadoo.com.au/gardening...-square-blade/

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post

I don't think the long handle is there for leverage, more for saving your back as you don't need to bend over as much but you go for it! Haha

Was just going to mention that I got a great stainless steel shovel from Bunnings when I first started the business - I had a quick look online and could't see it there any more... shame! It had a really comfy handle that split to both sides at the shovel end so you could place your foot directly in the middle of the shovel head. Will have to remember to take a photo when I go out to the truck... cost $80 about 5 years ago which seems pretty good now!

I would look for something like this if I ever broke this one: https://www.digadoo.com.au/gardening...-square-blade/
    Hi Conrad, spades are for digging, shovels are for shovelling ...... just saying

Cheers Fred.

Was it a 'shovel' .... more likely a Spear and Jackson 'ergonomic' stainless steel spade.
    Have been through a couple of them -- replaced free of charge under their 10 yr warranty --- as they done appear to like 'hard working' as the blade tends to flex bit and the handle to blade welds fail with metal fatigue / brittleness.
    Its quite likely the welds were not sufficiently post welding heat treated to relieve stresses / brittleness.
    The ergonomic design is good with the tread centred over the blade, just a pity about the failures

just my experiences
    Joe.

Haha Fred - yep that's exactly what I'm getting at! I just saw mention of "leverage" and visions in my head of using it like a pry bar on stubborn plants or tough ground.

I should have said spade for my stainless steel one tho. And yep Seliment I think it is the Spear & Jackson "ergonomic" spade. Wow sounds like you've given them a hammering!! I did find that mine would flex a bit, but only if using it at the wrong angle. If the pressure is straight down the blade I find that my hand on the top handle gives out before the spade ever would. Have used mine to cut through more than a few roots where I should have really reached for the mattock!

When was the last one you had replaced? Does Bunnings still stock them??

Haha Fred - yep that's exactly what I'm getting at! I just saw mention of "leverage" and visions in my head of using it like a pry bar on stubborn plants or tough ground.

I should have said spade for my stainless steel one tho. And yep Seliment I think it is the Spear & Jackson "ergonomic" spade. Wow sounds like you've given them a hammering!! I did find that mine would flex a bit, but only if using it at the wrong angle. If the pressure is straight down the blade I find that my hand on the top handle gives out before the spade ever would. Have used mine to cut through more than a few roots where I should have really reached for the mattock!

When was the last one you had replaced? Does Bunnings still stock them??
    Replaced the last one a couple of years ago. Have tended to 'molly coddle' them a bit since.
    My replacements were done via Mitre 10 (Monbulk). Dont know if stocked by Bunnings now.
    Real problem was the flexing after you drive them into ground and start to apply a bit of 'leverage'.

My favourite dig tool now is a long handled 'plumbers shovel'. Has a good entry angle and rounded - pointed blade gives good penetration. Unfortunately, the stick red Mt Dandenong soil sticks to steel tools much more than stainless.
    For really good digging / prising, the best of lot is my Spear and Jackson draining or tiling spade (aka graffe) but unfortunately they are almost impossible to find these days.

For really hard digging / levering out (eg agapanthus, bamboo, pampas grass etc) have a look at the Slammer Tool which is effectively a crowbar (with a diamond shaped bis alloy steel blade) on steroids (ie. powered by a slide hammer type mechanism). With it, resistance is futile Google 'Slammer Tool' for info --- its a kiwi invention, but made here in Melbourne.

Of course, those wishing not to put in 'hard sweat work' and having money (or their clients) to spend head for an excavator --- all the tradie types I have seen in our area recently seem to be scared of a shovel and jump straight onto a mini excavator.

It looks like the terms shovel / spade aren't strictly adhered to anymore

I mainly use a 'shovel' to remove plants for clean ups... and I'm gonna use the strongest one and leverage the crap out of it .... if you wanna hunch over a mattock, good luck to ya

But yes it's going good so far... a week after I got it ,I had to remove huge dietes/lomandra type plants with the spiky flowers (whatever they are called) and it worked great... fiberglass handle flexes a lot... hopefully won't snap!

As Joe said, the rounded or slightly pointed post hole or plumbers shovel are good for penetrating tough ground

That slammer tool looks hardcore!

The shiny silver shovel/ spade lol looks like a toy to me.... way too shiny and pretty but depends what you're using it for!

Btw while we're on the topic of bunnings.... keep your receipts... my fiskars rake snapped on that same job.... even though all the teeth were worn out, the lady at bunnings said they would give me a new one under warranty... i must have paid cash as no idea where that receipt is but at least I got my money's worth!

While I was there I noticed a different version of the shovel I just bought the week before

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...hovel_p0084802
    Supersocket great for leverage

I was spewing as I thought that might be stronger than mine
    ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...hovel_p3360944 )

But not sure as mine is more expensive?

Anyway I'm happy with it

Joe,
    What other secret tools do you know about?
    I've never heard of the abor rake or slammer tool until now!

Very Helpful Member

Joe if you don't have it get a Bunnings power pass (trade card) I'm under the impression that when you use it the sales are recorded and can be used as proof of purchase
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

This is awesome - never heard of the Slammer Tool before (or Arborrake)! Was just thinking the good thing with using a spade is you're less likely to bust pipes etc... then again I did that recently with my stainless spade on an irrigation pipe. The customer thought I must have been using an axe. LOL. Nope, just a sharp spade!

Haha Chris. I felt the same when I first got it - not used to having shiny tools, and definitely not used to them staying that way! But it's been great, looks just as good as the day I bought it. And it's already been mentioned - but soils don't stick as much as on steel tools. Super easy to clean and doesn't matter where you leave it, it's not going to rust out.

Glad that shovel is working out for you tho, whatever works at the end of the day! Fibreglass is pretty tough, but not indestructible... I made a fibreglass floor panel for my van and it's taken a lot of abuse, still holding up well but starting to show use where the Walker has been driving in & out for years... I have a long fibreglass handle shovel as well, it tends to wear a bit if you're rubbing the handle on the edge of a wheelbarrow for example but hopefully that's just the gelcoat and it does't compromise the strength.

I'll second the request to spill the beans on more secret tools!

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Joe if you don't have it get a Bunnings power pass (trade card) I'm under the impression that when you use it the sales are recorded and can be used as proof of purchase
    Ian, thanks for suggestion, but have had one for a few years now, In fact the first one expired a couple of months ago and was replaced with new one.

Also worth signing up as trade customer with others such as Sydney Tools, Total Tools (both of these track/record your purchases) and Supacheap who have a 'trade discount', bit like Bunnings.

Joe.

Joe,
    Chris,
    Some other interesting tools are:
    sorry about lenght, but it might cause others to add their thoughts / comments.

1. De Wit SPORK
    https://europeantoolsaustralia.com/product/large-spork/

2. Feathers and Wedges ( aka plugs and wedges)
    If you need to break up rocks. Drill a holes about 150 - 200mm apart, insert tools and tap gently.
    I have used them to get about a 2ton bluestone 'rock' out of ground and to reduce it and another to a nice pile of 'bluestones' for a garden wall. Actually its our local basaltic stone --- rhydacite-- harder and tougher than Melb basalt/bluestone.

3. Wood pick (sold by same lot that sell Arborrakes)
    Makes picking up small and firewood sized logs a piece of cake.

4. Ballarat miners pick ... no longer made (by Cyclone) but pick up secondhand occasionally. If you see one --- buy it!
    Pick with single point and hammer-knob on other side and handle is shaped more like axe/adze.
    Neighbour who was in demolition put me onto it & some landscapers absolutely agreed--- they have just the right shape for knocking down brick walls and also for lifting pavers.

5. Liquid Hammer
    Avail from concrete and brckie supply shops.
    This stuff will soften / dissolve set mortar, cement, concrete off brick, tools etc
    Will deal with stuff that has been set for years.
    Dilute the concentrate, Spray it on, leave for an hour or overnight then hose off.
    It is NOT acidic, (nohissing/fizzing (no hydrochloric acid in it) and does not harm metals or paint.
    Magic stuff. Search web for Liquid Hammer

6. A good (rotary) hammer drill.
    Dont stuff around with ordinary hammer drills for drilling brick, concrete etc.
    The only ones that really do the job (& don't wear out the bits near as fast) is a rotary hammer which takes sds bits.
    Dont have to go upmarket to Ramset, Bosch etc, I have worked my cheapy GMC hard and it still goes reliably, although I did manage to acquire an 8kg Bosch for 'almost a song' that will go all day long into our dacite rock without a glitch.

7. The medallist landscapers fork (Mitre 10 stocks them).
    Just right shape for scooping up mulch, leaves, pebbles etc. Also right shape to use reversed for spreading/raking together mulch, leaves etc.
    Its my 'go to tool' and much lighter & cheaper than the Fiskars or Cyclone offering, but I havent managed to destroy mine.

8. Rake-hoe / Fire rake / Macloed tool
    Heavy duty tool for raking, clearing etc etc.
    Those who have ever used one for fire fighting (putting in a manual firebreak) will know all about them.

Spades and shovels - long and short handled.
    There is much science to the ergonomics of these simple tools.
    For example, I find that the plumbers shovel easier to use for general digging than a post hole shovel because
    1. plumbers shovel is pointed vs rounded post hole shovel
    2. the angle of handle is different. Post hole shovel is better angled to going down hole. Plumbers shovel just right angle for digging earth, hole for planting or a trench.
    A Trench shovel is for cleaning out bottom of trench once its dug, not for the digging of trench.

Shovels --- there are differences in the handle to blade angle for square mouthed (short handled) shovels for different purposes. A concreters shovel is flatter than a shifting shovel as that way the ergonomics are better. Was surprised by this until I read an explanation on the website of one of the bigger toolmakers who make yhe different variants. Just that many people and even more so, retailers dont even have a clue.

Draining spade -- Spear and Jackson Contractors draining spade
    I have one about 40+yr old, the older design possibly bei g a bit heavier, but essentially same design. Very thick blade which has 'weight', sufficient to cut roots if you put it in with a bit of heave-ho. There is almost no handle - the exposed wooden part on mine is only about 150mm as the steel tang from the blade provides most of the effective handle length.
    Blade super strong for levering/prising.
    Wonderful ergonomics for digging trench or digging up existing pipes. Length of blade is just about the standard trench depth. Good for discovering pipes ... you can just push (narrow) the blade down gently with foot, wiggling as you go until you hear scraping or resistance......
    Its a great tool, but seldom seen
    http://www.spearandjackson.com.au/products/SJ-2154HK

Joe.

Joe,
    Here's a good description of the ergonomics of choosing the right or best shovel for the job,
    especially about 'the lift' which describes how handle is angled relative to blade.

It can be amazing how the correct tool makes the job less tiring...

https://omnivorenz.wordpress.com/201...sing-a-shovel/

http://www.redpigtools.com/The-Right-Shovel_b_2.html

Joe

allrighty then Re: Rake / Shovel

Thanks Joe, very interesting.... hopefully I won't need any of them though... can be an expensive habit

Also still waiting on the Arborrakes.... apparently delayed until at least end of March

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast