Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Husqvarna LC 347VLi - lithium push mower, first thoughts

Default Husqvarna LC 347VLi - lithium push mower, first thoughts

2nd attempt here... wrote all this on my phone and it crashed when i was uploading photos. D'oh!

Ok well most of you probably know that I am exclusively 100% lithium when it comes to push mowers and other small equipment like hedge trimmer, line trimmers, handheld blowers. Well in the 5+ years that I've been operating I've never had a backup push mower! The Mean Green packed it in last week, something other than a quick relay replacement that had me going again the last few times, so I had to do a quick bit of research and find the best option that would fit in with the "Volt Mowing" brand.

Already having all the Husky lithium gear and a fair few batteries (which are the biggest expense) it made sense to stick with them for a push mower. So here we are...

First thoughts in the shop - good size 55L catcher (for a "homeowner" machine), dual battery slots, easy single lever height adjust (coming from the American designed MGP-20 which needed height adjustment at each wheel with an allen key) and super light weight. At $750 it is not all that expensive, at least not coming from the Mean Green machine...

I wasn't sure how the plastic deck would go, but I'll only be using this as a backup machine so not a big deal I thought. The self-propelled function didn't even factor into my decision - I don't use it as it just chews up the batteries faster and my entire work method is based on energy efficiency & maximising runtime.

I was excited about the dual battery slots and thought I'd get some great runtime with 2x BLi300 9Ah batts, especially on power save mode... got the machine out into the carpark and went to give them a try... the larger 9Ah batteries didn't even fit!! Pretty cheesed off at this, especially as they're specifically listed as an accessory for the machine!! Back inside, bought 2x BLi200's, the largest that will fit. That little hurdle overcome I went straight to put it to work on an overgrown Sir Walter lawn, well overdue for its first cut. On the Friday I'd already gone through with the Husky lithium line trimmer and took about 20-25cm off, tidied up those trimmings and now Saturday morning it still needed a good mow to remove 5-6cm of thick SW stems. Ran it full power and of course it was slow going, but it got there! Really impressed with it actually, the catcher has great airflow which is really needed for an electric machine, it filled fantastically and a nice feature is that it directs dust down towards the ground. The 2x BLi200's didn't last long, but thankfully the big backpack battery has a standard size adapter which fits - so I kept mowing and got through it.

The handlebars are wide enough so you can lift the catcher straight up and out the top and the grab handle under the front of the mower and behind the battery compartment are very useful. The plastic deck is very different from the welded aluminium I'm used to, but again as a backup machine I think it will be fine. On regular lawns I only need to use the power save mode which is much quieter. I still need to order the optional mulch kit, hopefully that does the job as well.

I just hope they bring a full commercial lithium push mower soon, because you do notice jobs taking longer when you're used to a 20 or 21" cut. Although 19" is not all that bad.

Pretty sure I found a faulty switch on the MGP-20, so hopefully that will be back in action soon - but the Husky will stay with me as the standard rear catcher will be a convenient change for some jobs.

That's about all for now, I'll let the pictures do the rest.

IMG_8389.jpg
    IMG_8396.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8400.jpg

Default Re: Husqvarna LC 347VLi - lithium push mower, first thoughts

Looks good!
    Aerodynamic lol
    Those batts not fitting is ridiculous
    Does the self drive actually use much power? I would have thought it would be minimal

Ok so I contacted Husky HQ and had a bit of a grumble about the large batteries it fitting, they came back quickly and said that they do actually fit! And told me to take the machine back to the dealer... well i’ll Have to find a chance to do that, bought this from a dealer on the other side of the city because they were the only one who had it on the floor. The dealer already checked it before I left, so don’t know what else they’re going to do but we’ll see.

I should time it, but I just know that using S/P will use more power than pushing. I did use it earlier this week during one of those heatwave days... very very handy if you’re struggling on a hot day! With the mower being so light, as the catcher fills it dramatically changes the weight, feels like almost twice as heavy!

I finally got around to ordering the mulch kit, $55 with the plug and a new mulch blade. Does a pretty good job, I shouldn’t have to catch at all except on super lush Aussie Blue lawns and similar.

56D7F5AF-1874-4B11-AE99-09E1D1B621B1.jpg
    4D3AE815-8823-406C-AB78-AED4F4A04E7B.jpg
    A78A38AC-4E6D-4FA8-B023-F3206B034E73.jpg

I was kind of hoping the plastic deck wouldn’t hold as much debris, but no such luck. Haha
    It’s not too bad tho. I haven’t done many super “sappy/sticky” or wet lawns yet so we’ll see.

It doesn’t mulch nearly as well as the Mean Green IMO, disperses clippings evenly (no piles) but it leaves longer grass trimmings than i’d Like.

Very Helpful Member

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you