Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What pre-emergent for weed control in established garden beds? Including grasses?

Default What pre-emergent for weed control in established garden beds? Including grasses?

Looking for the easiest solution for long term weed control in garden beds, I have used Prolan 500 as a pre-emergent on lawn areas and it seems to do a good job - but it's an extremely viscous liquid and difficult to mix in the knapsack. It is an extremely versatile product though as it's registered for use on turf, gardens, etc.

Thought I'd ask and see what everyone else is using?

Barricade seems to be a popular option, and it's also registered for use in garden beds which is handy. I need something that can be sprayed around plants without risk of damage, which Barricade can do. I know it's supposed to be applied to the soil under mulch, but that's not really an option... Does anyone use it? Barricade mix rate seems to be the same as Prolan 500 - is it a less viscous liquid?

Otherwise any tips for even mixing in a knapsack?? It's almost like I need a paint mixer on a cordless drill sitting in there so the product doesn't sink straight to the bottom and clog up around the outlet.

What about Simazine? A better option? (Trying to reduce the number of different chemicals I need, but if it's better for garden areas I would go for it.) Curiously Prolan 500 lists Simazine for tank mix compatibility... why would you do that?

On the subject of weed control, but for gravel/stone areas where you definitely don't want anything to grow - I've been doing a bit of searching and found Trimac GR. A granular product that you simply spread on the area and get up to 9 months control!

Cheers for any advice!

Default Re: What pre-emergent for weed control in established garden beds? Including grasses?

I myself wouldn't use Simazine. I used to use it in the pet industry making fish tank chemicals ect, and its nasty stuff. Burns your nose and eyes, even with good ventilation. Cant help you on anything else, but interested in what others use as I have a few jobs where a pre-emergent would be great.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Default Re: What pre-emergent for weed control in established garden beds? Including grasses?

used ronstar with good results
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Cheers Neil, I'll check it out.

I ended up with some Rely (10g/kg Oxadiazon) https://www.adama.com/australia/en/c...-consumer/rely
    Added it on last minute to an order I already had coming, haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think granular is going to be so much easier. Will check the documents for Rout, seems like a stronger product, but application rate is the other important thing.

Thanks Sterlo. I know Ronstar is kind of the "gold standard" but it is bloody expensive! Not worth the price for a product that is just 20g/kg Oxadiazon IMO. That 20kg bag of Rely only set me back $85. Compared to a 15kg bag of Ronstar at $266!!