Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which stihl hedge trimmer

Default Re: Which stihl hedge trimmer

I haven't seen the new models, but I have the 65 & 85. The 85 motor seems to run much smoother & faster than the 65. Problem is, it's too heavy to use except when absolutely necessary.
    My Husqvarna is my go-to extended hedger, but I've had heaps of problems with it.

Have a Stihl KMA135R kombi head ordered, that might be ok now that it doesn't need to run off a backpack. Might be a while waiting for it though. Been on order since before Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    66 and 86 are very similar to the 65/85 and yes the diff between 66/86 is just the telescoping feature

I would skip those models and jump to the new HLA 135K .... it is in another league , you wont regret it
    the 'K' is the short shaft which I'd recommend. I've got both the short and long but rarely touch the longer one

also the blade length is 500 i think compared to 600 for the longer version... the website specs have 600 length for both which is incorrect
    Cheers Chris. I'll have to head to the dealer and suss em out and report back my thoughts. You'd think Sthil would at least get the specs right. What do you like most about the HLA135K and does it justify the extra weight? Sthil claims that it prunes and hedges, what does that mean?

The reason I asked about the blade changes on the HLA66 v HLA65 was this youtube clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvcnlU5QsZE

It looks as if the HLA66 has narrower teeth on the top blade and thicker teeth on the bottom.

went had a look at the dealers(wet day today). Chris is right on the money. The HLA135 K feels like the pick of the bunch. The motor is near the battery and no longer at the head meaning there is a spline and a gearbox which explains the extra weight. You can feel the power difference and it just feels more solid and less rattling than my old HLA65. The other advantage I am guessing it would give is you don't have that motor housing obstructing view and getting caught up in things. The HLA66 in my opinion feels a bit more flimsy than the old HLA65's. I didn't try the HLA85 but I picked it up and confirmed it would be way too heavy for me as a general purpose machine. Would be very handy for the long reach though. The blades haven't changed on the HLA66 so I am not sure what is going on in that youtube video in my previous link, maybe it is different in other countries. Now I just need to bite the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I haven't seen the new models, but I have the 65 & 85. The 85 motor seems to run much smoother & faster than the 65. Problem is, it's too heavy to use except when absolutely necessary.
    My Husqvarna is my go-to extended hedger, but I've had heaps of problems with it.

Have a Stihl KMA135R kombi head ordered, that might be ok now that it doesn't need to run off a backpack. Might be a while waiting for it though. Been on order since before Xmas.
    I think the Sthil Kombi head will be a good move. What is the issue with the Husky hedger? What hedger is it? I have the Husky 325ilk which can take attachments so I need to look into what hedger attachment I could put on that. The thing I really hate about huskies is the battery clip design. I am forever not pushing the battery in hard enough and then it drops out. The battery case is also too brittle and prone to cracking whereas the Sthil batteries I have found can withstand being dropped.

My Husky extended hedger is 536LiHE3. It's had several new motors, switches and other things. Up till last time it stopped, repairs have all been covered by warranty. But it's 5 years old, so I offered to pay for the last motor.
    The only trouble I've had with the batteries was the clips actually cracking which made it hard to get the battery out. They replaced the 2 broken clips under warranty too.
    I've also got the Husky multi 325, but only with the line trimmer. I only got it as it has a bit more power than my original Husky dedicated battery line trimmer. I have a lot of Stihl kombi attachments, so will go that way.

I started with a Stihl KM90 kombi + ext hedger & always thought it was the best hedger I've used, so hopefully the new Stihl battery kombi will be the same. I might be on the pension before I can get one though.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Cheers Chris. I'll have to head to the dealer and suss em out and report back my thoughts. You'd think Sthil would at least get the specs right. What do you like most about the HLA135K and does it justify the extra weight? Sthil claims that it prunes and hedges, what does that mean?

The reason I asked about the blade changes on the HLA66 v HLA65 was this youtube clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvcnlU5QsZE

It looks as if the HLA66 has narrower teeth on the top blade and thicker teeth on the bottom.

anything with the 135 motor is just the ultimate even compared with the petrol machines of similar size in my opinion
    all the machines with that motor use the same drive shaft and cutter head / blade / polesaw etc as the top of the line petrol counterparts

for example i've got the hta135 pole saw and you can see its identical to the petrol top model besides the motor

i had the earlier hedge trimmers as well and i would probably describe them as semi pro whereas the newer 135k etc are true pro machines

they are built better, have higher blade speed and tighter tolerances.

I had to watch that video a few times but i think it's just an optical illusion! if you replay from when you can first see the blades they look normal, then once the light hits them they look strange!

the 135 kombi engines are awesome

they have heaps of power but when using on power hungry attachments you will go through batteries quickly

they also run noticeably longer and stronger with the AP300s battery and there's an ap500s coming out shortly

if anyone is thinking of jumping into battery gear i would recommend starting with the BGA86 blower and HLA135K short hedge trimmer and an ap300s battery (although would hold off until the ap500s is available which apparently isn't far away)

those machines can give you a taste of how good the gear is and then it wont take long for you to add on extra batteries and the whippers

oh and if you're thinking of getting the regular length hla135 hedger, just get the kma135 kombi motor and hedge trimmer attachment instead as they are the exact same
    i made the mistake of getting both short and long hedgers.... barely use the long one and could have just got the attachment for kombi instead

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123