Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Emissions laws - anyone know what's actually happening?

Default Emissions laws - anyone know what's actually happening?

Hi,

I don't get on here very often these days, so sorry if it's been discussed before, but does anyone on here know what's going on with the new emissions laws for outdoor power equipment?

From what I've been able to garner at my local chainsaw shops & read on the Govt website, the new laws came into effect as of 1st Jan 2018.

Apparently, this banned the import of any non compliant gear into Aust & gave the importers until 30th June 2018 to sell their stock to retailers. I've been told by a retailer that they haven't been able to buy non compliant stock since that date & are to cease selling any non compliant stock left on their shelves on 1st July 2019.

This, combined with Allpower ceasing to trade, would explain the lack of stock in most shops at the moment.

I run a few Echo top handled chainsaws & I really like them. Does anyone know if they'll be available after 1st July next year?

I see that Mitre 10 & Stratco are massively reducing the cost of their cheap, Chinese 2 stroke outdoor gear at the moment. Which is probably connected to this issue.

Stihl & Husqvarna seem to have the issue under control with their auto tune/strato type saws. But I'm not keen on either of them for top handled saws.

I've noticed that the big Ebay sellers of the cheap Chinese stuff seem to be still selling in huge numbers though.

Default Re: Emissions laws - anyone know what's actually happening?

As far as I can see, Echo make stratified engines so they should be good for a while. I don't know if the stratified engines are in all products though.

Since Allpower folded, Briggs & Stratton are the new Echo distributors in AU.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    As far as I can see, Echo make stratified engines so they should be good for a while. I don't know if the stratified engines are in all products though.

Since Allpower folded, Briggs & Stratton are the new Echo distributors in AU.
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the engines are strato, but they're still manually tuned at the carb. I'm have no idea whether that is a requirement or not though. I hope not, because that's the way I like them. The Stihl & the Husqvarna are both chipped.

Yes, I know about B&S and Echo.

Have you tried to get any Echo spares recently?

It only effects new equipment. Its a good thing.

http://www.environment.gov.au/protec...-and-equipment

The proposed standards would only apply to newly imported and manufactured NRSIEE products, not to those that people already own.

The proposed standards are performance rather than technology-based. In general, four-stroke and direct-injection two-stroke engines will meet the standards, as will a range of low-emitting two-stroke handheld equipment (e.g. some chainsaws and brush cutters). Conventional two-stroke outboards and non-handheld equipment such as mowers would not meet the new standards.

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the engines are strato, but they're still manually tuned at the carb. I'm have no idea whether that is a requirement or not though. I hope not, because that's the way I like them. The Stihl & the Husqvarna are both chipped.

Yes, I know about B&S and Echo.

Have you tried to get any Echo spares recently?
    No I haven't had anything to do with Echo.

I've got a few Husq tools with the Xtorq engines. I thought they were the compliant engine, but looks like I'm behind the times. Seems the AutoTune is the "New Gen" for Husq but it's only in a few products.

I'll see if I can find out more from the dealer on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    No I haven't had anything to do with Echo.

I've got a few Husq tools with the Xtorq engines. I thought they were the compliant engine, but looks like I'm behind the times. Seems the AutoTune is the "New Gen" for Husq but it's only in a few products.

I'll see if I can find out more from the dealer on Saturday.
    It's a nightmare to get spares for Echo since Allpower left. I've had a 17 year love affair with Echo, but unless B&S lift their game, I'm looking elsewhere! (but where???)

The X Torq & the Auto Tune are often (mostly) in the same engine. Neither are particularly new, but I reckon your gear will likely be compliant. Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    It only effects new equipment. Its a good thing.

http://www.environment.gov.au/protec...-and-equipment

The proposed standards would only apply to newly imported and manufactured NRSIEE products, not to those that people already own.

The proposed standards are performance rather than technology-based. In general, four-stroke and direct-injection two-stroke engines will meet the standards, as will a range of low-emitting two-stroke handheld equipment (e.g. some chainsaws and brush cutters). Conventional two-stroke outboards and non-handheld equipment such as mowers would not meet the new standards.
    Yes, I've read that document.

New gear is VERY important to me (and anyone else using chainsaws professionally I'd reckon).

Direct injection two stroke is a massive technological change from most two stroke engines, which have diaphragm type carbs.

Very Helpful Member

my understanding is that most pro equipment meets the new standards and it's mainly the cheap Chinese stuff that doesn't
    as for echo parts I would look at the u.s sites
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    my understanding is that most pro equipment meets the new standards and it's mainly the cheap Chinese stuff that doesn't
    as for echo parts I would look at the u.s sites
    I hope so Ian, but I'm not confident of it.

The biggest whinge about Echo that I read on US sites is the lack of a decent dealer network over there.