Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Psychotic customers

Default Psychotic customers

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes.

About 3 years ago i pulled in to do a job in a local industrial estate. A ute pulled up in front of me. i got out and begun getting the mower off. A bloke got out of the ute and said words to the effect of 'i know what your game is, yeah.' I had no idea what he was referring to and he just kept hovering with a menacing smile, muttered a few words and disappeared through a gate of a high fenced property.

I've continued doing the properties regularly without any issues and the whole incident had gone to my subconcious i guess.

Anyway on Wednesday i was mowing a domestic nature strip when a guy appeared and asked if i could do a job for him in a local industrial estate. When he gave me the address, i said sure i do one in that very street. I could drive by and phone him back.

I went to quote and realised the property was the one the guy 3 years ago had disappeared into. I couldn't remember what the first bloke looked like and the bloke asking for the quote seemed very reasonable and level headed.

When i phoned him and told him that it would be $45 he said 'nah, nah that's too much the other guy used to do it for $40. You're a f***** ripoff.' I terminated the call and blocked his number. He phoned straight back from a different phone and left a message saying in a very measured way "i remember now...we had a run in a few years ago; well let me tell you, you low life dog, if anything happens to my property over the next 10 years i'm holding you and anyone else that wants to get involved responsible, yeah." Unfortunately i instantly deleted the message.

That afternoon i got a private call which played his id recording 'it's Paul". Have also had a few jumbled optus recordings on mobile and landline each day.

Sorry i know that's long winded but i just had to get it down. It's causing me quite a bit of anxiety. I've come across the odd ranter before but this guy was something quite different. I'm seriously considering dropping my 2 clients in the industrial estate as it's not the sort of place you want to be if another confrontation occurs.

My wife says i should go to the police but i think it would be a waste of time. I've got his phone number and i think he may live in the industrial area.

Default Re: Psychotic customers

def go to the police, just to have it on record
    install ACR Recorder on your mobile and record any future calls (its handy for other jobs if your memory is like mine)

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Just walk away not worth the hassle life's too short for this crap

Cheers fellas.

I don't think that u should be bullied into potentially losing thousands of $ annually.
    Maybe like Red said, report the incident so there is a record.
    I would stick with the existing jobs you have, you MAY never see him again.
    If you do & it continues, its total harassment & action needs to be taken.

Good luck.
    Cheers Fred.

Very Helpful Member

just try and remember the old scotish saying gang warily which roughly translates to go carefully and carry a big stick
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    just try and remember the old scotish saying gang warily which roughly translates to go carefully and carry a big stick
    Oche aye the noo.

Cheers Fred.

If your not in great need of those clients I’d drop them and seek more elsewere. But if you are in need of the work maybe only service the property’s when there are other people about not after hours...
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Thanks again everyone.

Jd,

Me personally, I would walk away from the job if being there gave causes concern re personal safety. Plus if wife is concerned too, money may not be worth it. Sounds like small paying jobs and I'm basing that on the $45 quote for next door. But I don't know such.
    I've knocked back jobs or walked after a couple visits, if I've felt that my vehicle/rig was not close to the site or high chance of being rear ended.
    There's many address in my twin town that I refuse to work within for my own safety and safety of my near $100,000 investment being the Hilux/tandem trailer and gear.

I know Willy very well, hope you work it out.

Edit Insert I was going to post this, but changed me mind,
    In my first yr of being a Mowerman I was threatened and it was full on verbal near physically had I not had a petrol operating whipper in hand, not that I had to raise it and throttle up. The location was a busy rd on Saturday arvo in a tougher part of town. That changed my awareness and perspective.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Jd,

Me personally, I would walk away from the job if being there gave causes concern re personal safety. Plus if wife is concerned too, money may not be worth it. Sounds like small paying jobs and I'm basing that on the $45 quote for next door. But I don't know such.
    I've knocked back jobs or walked after a couple visits, if I've felt that my vehicle/rig was not close to the site or high chance of being rear ended.
    There's many address in my twin town that I refuse to work within for my own safety and safety of my near $100,000 investment being the Hilux/tandem trailer and gear.

I know Willy very well, hope you work it out.

Edit Insert I was going to post this, but changed me mind,
    In my first yr of being a Mowerman I was threatened and it was full on verbal near physically had I not had a petrol operating whipper in hand, not that I had to raise it and throttle up. The location was a busy rd on Saturday arvo in a tougher part of town. That changed my awareness and perspective.
    Thanks Garry. The jobs are $100 for about half an hour. It's not the money though. Probably visit once more and call it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Thanks Garry. The jobs are $100 for about half an hour. It's not the money though. Probably visit once more and call it quits.
    Old thread, I know, but I'd walk. no more visits.

You don't need the stress!

Referring back to the OP I'd say the guy was just a bit pent up about you looking after a property adjoining his, keeping it looking great while his continued to look like crap. I would have continued. Water off a ducks back IMO.

What did you do in the end?

I kept going. The business moved further down the street 6 months ago.
    I still do one directly opposite. Always with one eye on the lookout.