Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which top handle Chainsaw ?

Default Which top handle Chainsaw ?

Hi Guys
    Looking for a top handled chainsaw but not looking to spend $1,000 more like up to or around $500
    Have done some research on brands like Husky, Tanaka, Makita, Echo, Baumr-ag, Ozito ect.
    I had an Ozito 25cc 12inch a few years back and for the price it was okay just Had some minor issues and lasted about 3yrs doing the occasional once a week trimm job and large branches on lawns, which is all I need it for now.
    Am looking at a Makita 22cc 10inch from Bunnings for $249 Model DCS231T ???
    Recommendations please.. : )
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Default Re: Which top handle Chainsaw ?

l've been using one of these for a few years now, hasn't given any problems https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tanaka-3...4383.l4275.c10
    its nicely balanced for one hand work

edit - l got mine from the US cheap, about $300 delivered l think, was a bit p1ssed to see it was made in China but still going strong

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Ive had a few of the ozito petrol saws & they as u said r ok but, value for money they r great.
    They r that cheap, u could proly price it into your next job.

If you have more than the odd job for the saw, maybe a better quality saw from the leading brands.

Dare I say it ? .............. you could have a look at the battery gear which suits small capacity work with all of its conveniences.
    The cost of the battery/s & charger r soon offset, your paying for your fuel in advance.

Ive had an Echo top handled saw for 20yrs & its still going strong but, it doesn't get used anymore due to the convenience of the battery saws.

Cheers Fred.

yep, agree Fred....l'll probably get a decent cordless chainy to keep in the truck

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Ive had a few of the ozito petrol saws & they as u said r ok but, value for money they r great.
    They r that cheap, u could proly price it into your next job.

If you have more than the odd job for the saw, maybe a better quality saw from the leading brands.

Dare I say it ? .............. you could have a look at the battery gear which suits small capacity work with all of its conveniences.
    The cost of the battery/s & charger r soon offset, your paying for your fuel in advance.

Ive had an Echo top handled saw for 20yrs & its still going strong but, it doesn't get used anymore due to the convenience of the battery saws.

Cheers Fred.
    Too true Fred. Hardly use me loppers anymore.

I picked up an 18" 45cc Renegade from Tradetools for $198. does a good job, didn't miss a beat for the 4-5hrs of use yesterday.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867

I dont use chainsaws that often, or if I do it is only small jobs I need it for. Couldn't justify the prices of some of the electric ones though
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867

Very Helpful Member

I have one of these in the van for everyday use http://cdn0.blocksassets.com/assets/...ual-Online.pdf A little slow compared to the Husky 445 but good for small jobs plus I bought 2 reduced to clear at $39each
    What I love is that it's just so easy to pull it out to cut 1-2 branches and it starts as soon as you pull the trigger
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Ask your local mower supplier/repair shop. Likely you can get a great pre-loved Stihl Farmboss or other high-quality unit that has most of it's life for under that $500 - especially if you have a good relationship with them.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I have one of these in the van for everyday use http://cdn0.blocksassets.com/assets/...ual-Online.pdf A little slow compared to the Husky 445 but good for small jobs plus I bought 2 reduced to clear at $39each
    What I love is that it's just so easy to pull it out to cut 1-2 branches and it starts as soon as you pull the trigger
    good score!! you can't beat Ozito with their replacement warrantyt

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Apologies if this has been asked before but there are so many threads I find it hard to know where to post the question.

Ive been impressed with my Ozito (power xchange) cordless angle grinder and then because i already had the battery went and got the detail sander which also did the job. Now because of the previous purchases I went and bought the brushless hammer drill (which I am very impressed with). First cordless drill I have ever owned and my first though is why the hell didn't I get one sooner.
    I'm considering the following additions when required and would appreciate any positive or negative feedback from anyone.

- Reciprocating saw
    - 150mm circular saw or 165mm circular saw (is there a power difference in these other than the blade size? The specs have both at 4200 rpm so I'm leaning to the smaller one).
    - Compound mitre saw
    - Chainsaw
    - Pole Pruner
    - Ozito Power X Change 18V Brushless 5 In 1 Steel Deck Lawn Mower (for home use but for occasional work use as a backup or for difficult access jobs)

cheers

And while we are at it any thoughts on these would be appreciated

- 36v (2x 18v) Brushless Blower
    - 36v (2x18v) 356mm Brushless Chainsaw
    - 18v Tophandle 250mm chainsaw

Very Helpful Member

150mm circular cutting depth 48mm
    165mm circular cutting depth 54mm
    get the 165mm otherwise you will kick yourself when you need the extra 6mm( pine sleepers 50mm )

I have an older ozito 36volt single battery chainsaw and it doesn't come anywhere near the husky 445 or even the ozito 2 stroke top handle saw but it's the one I carry in the van as it's just so easy to pull it out and do 1 or 2 cuts
    I hardly ever use my reciprocating saw but have used it occasionally to cut roots off stumps beats destroying a chain
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    150mm circular cutting depth 48mm
    165mm circular cutting depth 54mm
    get the 165mm otherwise you will kick yourself when you need the extra 6mm( pine sleepers 50mm )

I have an older ozito 36volt single battery chainsaw and it doesn't come anywhere near the husky 445 or even the ozito 2 stroke top handle saw but it's the one I carry in the van as it's just so easy to pull it out and do 1 or 2 cuts
    I hardly ever use my reciprocating saw but have used it occasionally to cut roots off stumps beats destroying a chain
    Thanks Ian. Funny thing is today I was looking at them and I had decided to buy the reciprocating saw but while looking for the metal blade I changed my mind and put it back and picked up the 165mm circular saw for the exact reason you mentioned.

Had a good look at the top handle saw and the pole handle saw, I reckon i will get them down the track. Build quality looks good. I like the no screwdriver chain tensioner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast