Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate

Default Re: Glyphosate

Will slasher work on bamboo?
    I've got a few small spots where bamboo needs to be cut to ground and poisoned... round up in the news is causing issues

Very Helpful Member

No slasher won't get into the roots it basically only kills the foliage
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Okay thanks .

What a media beat up. Now this last week and a bit a Sydney local council had workers strike over glyphosate, wanting to use an organic alternative (most likely Slasher). Do these people realise that Slasher is also a chemical?? Doesn't matter that it's extracted from an organic source, still a chemical, still dangerous if used improperly!! Still carries the same "Caution" signal heading as Glyphosate. Still has detailed usage instructions on the label.

Then there's the astronomical cost of Slasher - not only the cost per spray, but also repeated applications to keep weeds under control.

Craziness... anything to get out of work!

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    What a media beat up. Now this last week and a bit a Sydney local council had workers strike over glyphosate, wanting to use an organic alternative (most likely Slasher). Do these people realise that Slasher is also a chemical?? Doesn't matter that it's extracted from an organic source, still a chemical, still dangerous if used improperly!! Still carries the same "Caution" signal heading as Glyphosate. Still has detailed usage instructions on the label.

Then there's the astronomical cost of Slasher - not only the cost per spray, but also repeated applications to keep weeds under control.

They could always get the strikers to weed by hand

https://theconversation.com/does-mon...s-maybe-113998

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post

The only answer to wether glypho is safe or not is through science and there aint much of that going on these days however I suspect when it got approval in Australia there was more respect for the science and I am trusting it is safe if used as per instructions. The only concern I have is if the manufacturers fudged it thru somehow but you would expect countries around the world would have done their own independent testing. Having said that I am a lot more careful now and won't spray when in doubt because fake news is everywhere now.
    This has far bigger implications than just the home garden. Crops are modified to be resistance to glypho. Some bloke on Landline reckons it was the biggest advance in cropping in his lifetime.

Dunno who to believe, history shows the world has sprayed toxic crap around before (e.g.DDT) and everyone thought it was safe too. Cigarette or alcohol anyone. In the end its all just a calculated risk just like crossing the road.

Very Helpful Member

Bunnings Vermont on a pallet in the aisle that runs through the middle of the store is some Glyphosate 360 $4.38 a litre can't remember the brand
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    No slasher won't get into the roots it basically only kills the foliage
    I beg to differ. Glyphosate is absorbed mostly thru the leaves and gums up the enzymes in the plant, not just the leaves. The leaves are where death is most evident. If the plant does not completely die, then the roots may shoot new leaves, but it is not correct to say glyphosate only kills the leaves
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    I beg to differ. Glyphosate is absorbed mostly thru the leaves and gums up the enzymes in the plant, not just the leaves. The leaves are where death is most evident. If the plant does not completely die, then the roots may shoot new leaves, but it is not correct to say glyphosate only kills the leaves
    I didn't say Glyphosate only kills the foliage (the advertising says kill roots and all ) I said Slasher only kills the foliage and Slasher contains no Glyphosate

On another note, can anybody suggest or recommend a chemical spraying course.? Been doing some research and there a plenty that offer it online around the $275 mark.

With all the Glyphosate hype, I’m already getting asked by a few of my commercial clients to be accredited. I reckon It’s only a matter of time before it becomes compulsory for all contractors.

Thoughts..?

Might be worth a watch, but will most likely be lacking any real information like normal 60min/aca sorts.
    https://www.9news.com.au/health/roun...qEOhuvMU8gS7iA

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    On another note, can anybody suggest or recommend a chemical spraying course.? Been doing some research and there a plenty that offer it online around the $275 mark.

With all the Glyphosate hype, I’m already getting asked by a few of my commercial clients to be accredited. I reckon It’s only a matter of time before it becomes compulsory for all contractors.

Thoughts..?

I did the CHEMCERT training through my local tafe.

Think its valid for 3years, they usually send a reminder to renew a bit like the first aid refreshers

Thanks. Will look into..

Another local current affairs program last week talking about Glyphosate and now more public's attention is getting aware of possible health problems.
    Is it starting to get to a point where contractors are starting to think using weed spray at owner's property could get directed to the contractor for there bad health and possible look at getting sued for using Glyphosate on there property.
    Are we heading towards that sort of outcome ?.You would only need one to go to court and get on a current affairs program and contractors use of Glyphosate stops being used.

I wouldn’t think a client would have that much exposure given the amount most of us use. I can’t see how spraying along a boundary, garden bed etc from a back pack would have any impact to a client, especially when nobody is home in most cases.

We as operators would be more at risk if anything. Having said that, it would only take one to make some sort of claim and the fun begins.

I now ask clients if they have any objections to using Glyphosate before I apply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast