Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Licensing for herbicide Spraying

Default Licensing for herbicide Spraying

Hi all,
    In WA most contractors ARE NOT licensed Herbicide sprayers - ie legally licensed to spray for weeds.
    I have bitten the bullet even though most told me not to worry about it and gone through the process;

1. $470 for the TAFE training course on herbicides and spraying
    2. $240 to register my business as a "Western Australian Health Department" legal Herbicide sprayer and
    3. $150 for my individual contractors spraying licence - ( cant get the individual one unless your employed by a registered business and if its your business you have to go through step 2 before you get to step 3!

This has been a frustrating process but the reason I decided to go through it are as follows;

1. Spraying in WA without being licenced for commercial gain $5000 on spot fine
    2. Spraying in WA on behalf of your own business and your business is not registered up to $25000 fine.
    3. Spraying without clear signage on your vehicle of your health department registration number up to $25000
    4. Spraying without putting up warning sign indicating Herbicide spraying in progress, i think was again around the $5000.

Im wondering what the situation is in other states?

Although i has been a pain and ive got one more hoop to skip through- my ute is being inspected by and EPA inspector on Tuesday to ensure it meets all 25 checks outlined by EPA and health department, the upside is i can now promote myself as a fully licensed qualified sprayer and this will im sure help make me some good money and give me a step other over others who are not going through the process....

Your thoughts????

TOPNUG aka Stu

Default Re: Licensing for herbicide Spraying

Interesting, I've searched for licenceing in NSW but cannot find any.does anyone know if training or a licence is required in NSW for domestic spraying of round up by a contractor ?

i would be getting in contact with TAFE and Dept of Health if i was you St George

ahhhh what they hey im a sweety - here you go

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agricultur...es/smarttrain3

Thanks I rand up and no training or licence required.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

you can buy round up from the local supermarket so anyone can purchase it.. it's common sense that a home user wouldn't need a licence to apply it... so why would a contractor?

what is the world coming to if that is the case?

To spray plants and tree's that is a different case... imo. general weed kill... seriously!

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    you can buy round up from the local supermarket so anyone can purchase it.. it's common sense that a home user wouldn't need a licence to apply it... so why would a contractor?

what is the world coming to if that is the case?

To spray plants and tree's that is a different case... imo. general weed kill... seriously!

Simmo.

bad logic there mate

eg, bunnings sell electrical cable and power points, you need a licence to install em, even in your own home (electrical wholesalers also sell to the public)

just cos they sell it dont mean you can do it,

and sometimes you can do your own but illegal to do it for someone else and charge for it (eg tap washers, you can do your own, but need to be a licensed plumber to charge yourself out to do em)

what's the story for victoria?

Quote Originally Posted by topnug View Post
    Hi all,
    In WA most contractors ARE NOT licensed Herbicide sprayers - ie legally licensed to spray for weeds.
    I have bitten the bullet even though most told me not to worry about it and gone through the process;

1. $470 for the TAFE training course on herbicides and spraying
    2. $240 to register my business as a "Western Australian Health Department" legal Herbicide sprayer and
    3. $150 for my individual contractors spraying licence - ( cant get the individual one unless your employed by a registered business and if its your business you have to go through step 2 before you get to step 3!

This has been a frustrating process but the reason I decided to go through it are as follows;

1. Spraying in WA without being licenced for commercial gain $5000 on spot fine
    2. Spraying in WA on behalf of your own business and your business is not registered up to $25000 fine.
    3. Spraying without clear signage on your vehicle of your health department registration number up to $25000
    4. Spraying without putting up warning sign indicating Herbicide spraying in progress, i think was again around the $5000.

Im wondering what the situation is in other states?

Although i has been a pain and ive got one more hoop to skip through- my ute is being inspected by and EPA inspector on Tuesday to ensure it meets all 25 checks outlined by EPA and health department, the upside is i can now promote myself as a fully licensed qualified sprayer and this will im sure help make me some good money and give me a step other over others who are not going through the process....

Your thoughts????

TOPNUG aka Stu
    Are you sure that you are required to do this. I can understand for large area applications but for a quick squirt here and there?. What is the difference between you and the home owner. The other question is are they enforcing it. Many laws out there but no one enforcing it
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    bad logic there mate

eg, bunnings sell electrical cable and power points, you need a licence to install em, even in your own home (electrical wholesalers also sell to the public)

just cos they sell it dont mean you can do it,

and sometimes you can do your own but illegal to do it for someone else and charge for it (eg tap washers, you can do your own, but need to be a licensed plumber to charge yourself out to do em)

bad logic? not really mate, no licence required in NSW

On a serious note... i get your point on electrical and to some degree plumbing (qualified to change a tap is a joke, but sewer i can understand)

lets hope this industry dosen't get regulated... It really isn't rocket science!

Simmo.

sorry simo

my point was , just because you can buy it "over the counter", doesnt mean that you can go out and do it for people without being licensed

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    sorry simo

my point was , just because you can buy it "over the counter", doesnt mean that you can go out and do it for people without being licensed

cheers
    Noted and confirmed!

Simmo.

Happy's logic is correct here (in many states of Australia). A home owner can go out and buy glypho etc, but when it and other chemicals are used by a commercial operator you must have done some training and/or be licenced, depending on each States' regulations. It's all bureaucracy and money making for the government but it does have the benefit that at least the commercial guys using the sprays have some deeper knowledge of what they're doing, compared to Mr and Mrs Joe Public who purchases at McBunnings10Masters etc.

I'm not sure if the Qld regs in this link are current but I read through this last night and it spells it out pretty clearly. I am looking into it further next week.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_4896.htm

Yes that's still current Paul, but this link spells out some exemptions such as:

Ground equipment, as defined in the ACDC Act, is any machine or apparatus other than an aircraft in flight used or intended for the distribution of a herbicide. However, some equipment is exempted from this definition in locations outside of hazardous areas. These exemptions are:

equipment that is hand powered
    equipment powered by compressed air or gas applied directly to the spray liquid for distribution without the use of air blast techniques
    hose proportioning devices.

Please note: in a declared hazardous area, these exemptions do not apply.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_4898.htm#Hazardous_areas

paul and ed, thanks for the info

always good to know,

paul, be interested in hearing about what you get told on the phone

cheers

The round up that I buy is one third stronger then anything you get from bunnings and once you get it on your skin you can feel it eating in.round up ain't round up!this sh$t is strong!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast