Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

  1. #1
    Senior Member conrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wavell Heights Qld
    Posts
    220

    Default Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Got some Imidacloprid to treat mealy bug, scale etc. on plants - I have one customer with quite tall hibiscus that they use as a privacy screen, it's been hit with mealy bug on the new growth after a recent trim. The owner has been spraying neem, but I don't know if she will get full coverage. Was reading through the Imidacloprid booklet and saw that stem injection is a suggested treatment for Pandanus - drill 1mm holes into the trunk and put the pesticide in.

    Has anyone done this in the past? Would it also work for hibiscus?

    It's either that, Confidor tablets, or I'll have to wear a hazmat suit to spray the entire plant (at least 4m tall).

  2. #2
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Got some Imidacloprid to treat mealy bug, scale etc. on plants - I have one customer with quite tall hibiscus that they use as a privacy screen, it's been hit with mealy bug on the new growth after a recent trim. The owner has been spraying neem, but I don't know if she will get full coverage. Was reading through the Imidacloprid booklet and saw that stem injection is a suggested treatment for Pandanus - drill 1mm holes into the trunk and put the pesticide in.

    Has anyone done this in the past? Would it also work for hibiscus?

    It's either that, Confidor tablets, or I'll have to wear a hazmat suit to spray the entire plant (at least 4m tall).
    Imadachlotoprid and Confidor are the one and same chemical (Confidor is just a trade name).
    They may be formulated differently -- eg tablets for soil injection etc

    "The product sold as Confidor contains the active ingredient Imidacloprid, which is a nicotine-based insecticide"

    Both are of the neo-nictinoid family of insecticides which are extremely TOXIC to BEES as is fipronil which also comes from same group. Its not just immediate contact, but it gets carried back to hive where it keeps on killing by being transferred from one bee (including dying /dead ones) to another
    There is general acceptance it is a major contributor to bee population / colony decline, in addition to other insect population decline.
    On a visit to Europe last year, locals were talking of 80% decline in insect populations which are impacting bird life and are are now actively planting 'wild plants / wildflowers' in road mecian strips etc and fields to try to increase populations.

    SO,
    please use these chemicals with extreme care, and especially not when plant is flowering or about to, or when you see (good) insects foraging as these chemicals kill and continue killing for quite a long time.

    Joe

  3. #3
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,783
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  4. #4
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Note that Varroa destructor mite is NOT YET present (established) in Aust, about the only country in world considered varroa free at this time.
    Good biosecurity measures / practices on ships and especially at and around our ports and places of processing imports may delay the day...

  5. #5
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,783

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Note that Varroa destructor mite is NOT YET present (established) in Aust, about the only country in world considered varroa free at this time.
    Good biosecurity measures / practices on ships and especially at and around our ports and places of processing imports may delay the day...
    There are also as far as I'm aware no instances of CCD in Australia
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  6. #6
    Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Victor Harbor, SA
    Posts
    633

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Got some Imidacloprid to treat mealy bug, scale etc. on plants - I have one customer with quite tall hibiscus that they use as a privacy screen, it's been hit with mealy bug on the new growth after a recent trim. The owner has been spraying neem, but I don't know if she will get full coverage. Was reading through the Imidacloprid booklet and saw that stem injection is a suggested treatment for Pandanus - drill 1mm holes into the trunk and put the pesticide in.

    Has anyone done this in the past? Would it also work for hibiscus?

    It's either that, Confidor tablets, or I'll have to wear a hazmat suit to spray the entire plant (at least 4m tall).
    I have a client that had injected Rogor into a eucalyptus tree to get rid of borers which apparently worked.

  7. #7
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,381

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Haven't used Rogor since the 80's....is it still used? Pretty nasty stuff from memory




    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  8. #8
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,783

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Haven't used Rogor since the 80's....is it still used? Pretty nasty stuff from memory
    Not positive but pretty sure a ban on home use came into effect last year I believe the permits to sell it for home use were withdrawn in early 2017 and then they allow you 12 months to use the product in a home situation
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  9. #9
    Member of forum ASTRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BRIDGEWATER S.AUST
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Not positive but pretty sure a ban on home use came into effect last year I believe the permits to sell it for home use were withdrawn in early 2017 and then they allow you 12 months to use the product in a home situation
    I used to work in a wholesale fuschia nursery.
    The boss used to mix the rogor solution with his hand , whilst holding a cigarette with the other.
    He developed cancer and died 8 months later.

  10. #10
    Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Victor Harbor, SA
    Posts
    633

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    I just did a search and found Rogor illegal to use on edible crops but still available, though many outlets refuse to stock it. Its hard to stay on top of what gets banned.

  11. #11
    Senior Member conrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wavell Heights Qld
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Cheers guys. Yes I know about the controversy surrounding Imidacloprid/Confidor, hibiscus isn't flowering at the moment and probably wont until the mealy bugs are under control, it's that bad...

    Interesting that it's a nicotine based insecticide! The things you learn!

    The actual product I'm using is Spectrum 200SC (https://specialistsales.com.au/imida...icide-1-l.html)
    Might have to look for more information about stem injection - though I can't see why it wouldn't work on large enough plants?

    Until APVMA decide that all the alleged risks hold true in Australia I'll keep using it. Interestingly it is specifically mentioned to be soft on non-target insects such as ladybirds, hoverflies, spiders and predatory mites.

  12. #12
    Senior Member seliment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mount Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Cheers guys. Yes I know about the controversy surrounding Imidacloprid/Confidor, hibiscus isn't flowering at the moment and probably wont until the mealy bugs are under control, it's that bad...

    Interesting that it's a nicotine based insecticide! The things you learn!

    The actual product I'm using is Spectrum 200SC (https://specialistsales.com.au/imida...icide-1-l.html)
    Might have to look for more information about stem injection - though I can't see why it wouldn't work on large enough plants?

    Until APVMA decide that all the alleged risks hold true in Australia I'll keep using it. Interestingly it is specifically mentioned to be soft on non-target insects such as ladybirds, hoverflies, spiders and predatory mites.
    Actually it is not actually nicotine based, but a neo-nicotinoid ie a chemical that has a similar structure to nicotine. bit like codeine is to say heroin, methadone (chemically) .. all opiate family.

    "DescriptionThe neonicotinoid family includes acetamiprid, clothianidin, imidacloprid, nitenpyram, nithiazine, thiacloprid and thiamethoxam. Imidacloprid is the most widely used insecticide in the world. Compared to organophosphate and carbamate insecticides, neonicotinoids cause less toxicity in birds and mammals than insects. Wikipedia"

    Re stem injection .... the label for Spectrum gives instructions for stem injection of Pandanus. This may provide some guidance.
    Always a good idea to refer to / read label before use.

    The claim about being 'soft on non target species' is a manufacturers marketing claim.
    Without revisiting the debate for / against, I would recommend a reading of the MSDS sheet for Spectrum to gain some insight of its mode of action, toxicitity / Impacts / mobility & lifetime in environment etc which may temper manufacturers headline marketing claims and influence the manner in which you use it (or any other chemical for that matter).

    Joe

  13. #13
    Senior Member conrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wavell Heights Qld
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Imidacloprid Stem Injection to treat mealy bugs on Hibiscus?

    Hey Joe,

    Yeah I saw the booklet mentioned stem injection of Pandanus, as I mentioned in the first post that's what got me thinking and the whole reason I started this thread. But I didn't see any other reference to stem injection - it's fairly common for different manufacturers to list different applications on the label for a product that is exactly the same. Mostly comes down to how much R&D they're willing to put in and get approval for, I guess that's what I was hoping for someone to be able to shed light on. Not to worry I'll keep on looking and do it by the book for now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •