Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Toro 22"recycler

Default Toro 22"recycler

Hi all.I dont know anything about these mowers.i saw the ones they have in burnings(I forget what size motor but I think it's a 158cc) but the chute looks tiny!guaranteed to clog up for sure.theres a couple of these for sale second hand with apparantly a 6.5hp engine at fairly cheap price.
    Are they worth considering,not as a main every day mower but could work on maybe 5-10 lawn per week?or stay away and stick to what I know works..any thoughts?

Default Re: Toro 22"recycler

This is a pic of one i sold,i still have another one on standby.If i pick up a big unit complex i'll use the toro being so light and easy to manoeuvre meant for regular maintained lawns.
    The weakest points are the gearbox but the replacement is $130 and it's a easy job to replace.A small easy mod is made to the rear wheels which is needed at a later date.Not much to these mowers quite a simple design.
    Would not recommend using during wet thick grass as it will clog the chute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah they are super light.would you say the walking pace is as good as the hrx217?

The revs on the Briggs is pre-set i'd say probably at 2800rpm,the harder you push on the handle the faster you go and yes just as fast as the HRX or faster.Not that great going up hill.

If i was spending my money again i'd buy this,very much the same as the toro in how it works
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/honda-21...ching_p3381227

I pick up one today for a bit more than 2 cartons of beer!��It's older model than the one in your photo bettlejuice,no snorkel,didn't have a catcher but can prob pick one up cheap,the rpm of pre set revs arent going to plough through any jungles easily,but I didn't buy it for that. I assume you can up the revs fairly easily?will need a new bar blade and air filter soon, is it hard to o get parts online?

The snorkel is from a Victa,i left the motor stock revs as the governor cuts in when needed.You have 5 Toro dealers nearby for parts,never really found much on ebay as a cheaper alternative

A couple mods
    Handle bars go loose i welded mine but you can bolt them
    Rear wheels angled inwards as stock and rear wheel gears will skip over cogs,fixed with a few washers added
    Auto choke sometimes won't let a hot motor restart until cooled down,if you have that happen i'll show you the mod
    With that photo as mentioned the snorkel and added the extra handle on rear flap,and to keep the mower running when emptying catcher i added the occy strap i just move the blue handle to mulch to stop the debris flying all over me at those revs

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I had one of these years ago. Piece of ****. Left a heap of clippings at the end of each run and no good in the wet.