Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Br 700?

Default Br 700?

Hi all.anyone have any feedback on the stihl br700?
    I don't really need one as I'm using shindy eb803 at the moment but there is a near new br700 for sale close by and might be a bargain for a lot less than rrp..
    I know the 4 mix may need more maintenance with valve check etc(is this easy to DIY?)and are they noticeably stronger than the shindy or much the same?

Default Re: Br 700?

Warning Monster Read,

I've had the BR600 and BR700, cant compare it to Shindy as never had one.

Had to tell the local dealer the 700 was available in Au some 1.5+yrs ago and got it very early within it's AU release.
    The 700 more powerful than the 600 within air movement in moving leaves/dust/debris and a wider spread within it's blow path.

Much easier adjustments of tube and throttle placement due to snap locks than the 600.
    Found the 600 was falling of the shoulders on the big commercial jobs when blowing for extended times.
    700 with the waist belt is so much better and also ordered the thinner upper chest strap that stretches at minimal cost. If you snap a bottom insert buckle clip in, be prepared for 2 months wait to get one in. (That's happening now)

Re the 4mix, it's no problem - just never put straight fuel in or you will find out rather quickly.
    The valves don't play up, didn't on the 600 and 1.5yr later on the BR700 it still hum's along and sounds like new. Starts first or second pull like it did when I bought it. Even during our brutal 2-3wks over 40deg inland heat as long as the fuel bubble was pressed a few times (as it was stored in hot car). It started by the second pull and after pressing the throttle trigger it idles perfect everytime/everyday. I did buy the cheap under $50 value feller gauge kit after reading all the rubbish on the values needing periodic adjustment, but I've not need to use it on the Br 700. Did check the values on the 600 after the first year, but really didn't need to but its very easy to do after watching you tube.
    Air filter is easy to remove and air gun clean, still the original a/filter and will be for along time yet.

its the only stihl product I have in my complete Husky outfit, so I'm not a Sthil man. But I recommended it fully
    I actually ordered the Husky 570BTS backpack 2.5yrs ago and when the dealer showed it to me I thought it to be big/bulky and too heavy, then kindly asked him to keep it even though I knew it was strong in performance. He sold it the next day.
    Went straight over to the Stihl dealer and bought the more compact and much lighter BR600 and was very happy I did at the time.

Do you feel the extra weight of the 700 as against the 600 when chucking it over the shoulders, YES you do, especially if the 600 is next to it to instantly compare. But one gets used to it and its no drama for this ageing dinosaur who turned 60 recently.
    The 600 was better at lifting wet leaves with the narrower air tubes, but the 700 with the wider tubes still does that Ok and having the wider dia tubers gives a fuller wider air flow arcing sweep blowing debris at a faster work rate.

Find vibration is of no concern and its very comfortable on the back/shoulder and a better unit with the standard waist strap and with optional upper chest more narrow chest strap. Only bother to use the waist/chest straps on my bigger longer usage jobs

Why then did I get a BR 700 when I had a BR600. well on of my huge all day commercial jobs were I blower clean a half kilometre long premises behind fence line, footpath, nature strip gutters, service road and council areas with another very wide nature strips & footpath. I had a brain fade in 40 deg temps and put straight fuel in the. (Have written Council Approval to work the area mentioned)

Really like both the 600 before I sized it and 700. I always call the 700 my V8 Blower.
    I use it all the time everyday in conjunction with Husky Battery blower. Also look after a large church grounds that's has several huge Botanical style monster oak trees and the leaves they drop in Autumn is immense for a couple of months. Without the 700 trying to do that job would be a fail.

Carry it on the back seat of my Hilux dual cab which is seat covered.
    Cheers Garry

Ps, if that BR700 close by doesn't sound perfect and run perfect or has a clangy noise or whatever be suspect of it.
    As the only problem would be the operator having a brain fade and using straight fuel.

My BR 600 ran almost fine, not totally right - but usuable for a month after the damaging straight fuel event. I had the Stihl dealer check it and they put a camera in the bore and saw the scored cylinder lining and showed me.
    I took the BR 600 home in pieces from the dealer, the next day I reassembled it and sprayed WD 40 down the cylinder via spark plug hole and it worked fine initially for 2 weeks then got worse and failed after a month. If I was dodging I could have sold it immediately.
    Cheers Garry

l'll get a Maruyama Terminator next

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Ps, if that BR700 close by doesn't sound perfect and run perfect or has a clangy noise or whatever be suspect of it.
    As the only problem would be the operator having a brain fade and using straight fuel.

My BR 600 ran almost fine, not totally right - but usuable for a month after the damaging straight fuel event. I had the Stihl dealer check it and they put a camera in the bore and saw the scored cylinder lining and showed me.
    I took the BR 600 home in pieces from the dealer, the next day I reassembled it and sprayed WD 40 down the cylinder via spark plug hole and it worked fine initially for 2 weeks then got worse and failed after a month. If I was dodging I could have sold it immediately.
    Cheers Gary!what comprehensive review!if you were selling it I would have bought it straight away!I think he may have gotten a better offer but if not, its mine!

I've heard good things about the maruyama too,greenie has one and highly recommends it but I'm just browsing at the mo for a second hand bargain..(also wondering if it's better to buy new for tax purposes or if you can buy near new for around half price)..but that's a topic for another Thread.

I bought the BR700 about a year ago, wish I had bought one 10 years ago

my biggest concern was storage, now just keep in the back of the ute (inside the canopy)

Anyone else getting ripped work shirts on the top of the shoulder when using the backpack blower over or taking it off. Takes a while before it happens but it is the first place that rips on the shirt. The rest of shirt is still good. On the positive side I have some nice high vis oil rags.

I'm wearing the Visitec Workwear Hi Vis polo shirt supplied by my embroidery supplier. They last for years and zero shoulder wear.

Plus; if doing hedging jobs or a crap job, I'll wear an older shirt to save the good ones I wear in rotation.
    Cheers Garry

Doesnt cause excessive wear on my shirts but I tend to just throw the blower strap on one shoulder unless I'm using it for more 5 mins,so now I have one arm and shoulder that looks significantly stronger than my other one!ha!