Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero turn size

Default Zero turn size

Hi all, learning lots from this forum as I do my homework ready to start up at the end of winter to lead into spring.

I own a 50inch cub cadet zero turn for our own property. It’s about 11 years old and may not cope well with constant use. So as part of my set up I’m looking at getting a mowing trailer with a ramp for a zero turn. A 8x5 ft trailer seems the most common size but a 5ft trailer won’t fit anything more then a 50inch zero turn. Wondering if I should look at getting a 6ft trailer built in case I want to upgrade the zero turn in the future.

Thinking more about it maybe a commercial mower would be faster then my current mower so maybe sticking with 50inch would be fine? Should I be looking at a 6ft trailer to future proof myself in case I want a 60inch mower in the future or just run the more common 5ft trailer and upgrade to a better 50inch when / if the time comes?

Default Re: Zero turn size

what size properties are you dealing with?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Can't guide you re which is best for you, but 6ft wide boxed area is a large trailer for tighter narrower streets. Remember that rig needs to parked at every job safely.
    When I had mine built with front encased mower box & full height side tool box a 8 X 5 actually was a generic talked measurement more inline with metric which wasn't actually going to be the actual interior's usable size. So had to be very specific within internal measurements to ensure the 42 inch fitted length wise and mine being a smaller mower enough room for portable ramps to sit beside the mower whilst in transit. I don't always carry it, only for certain rounds.

Getting a custom trailer built takes time re quotes along with the engineering places wait time and man do they differ in quotes. I got quotes from Canberra to Melb (sth/nth & west) with both major engineering places in my own town being $1,000's cheaper and built quality of mine is excellent. Plus if they say 2-3 months, it could well be 3 or more if their a busy business.
    Then the sign writing if that path is taken, My sign writer said often the trailers don't get painted thick enough in coating, mine was Ok.

Great time to prepare over winter and launch leading into Spring. I launched the last week of August back in 2010 with mid September seeing it improve back then. But we all have different climates.

Hope all goes well.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    what size properties are you dealing with?
    Most acreages around here would be around 2.5 with some being up around 5. Ours is only 1.3 and the 50inch is fine at that smaller size but not sure if a bigger unit would suit the bigger blocks. But that would require the bigger trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Can't guide you re which is best for you, but 6ft wide boxed area is a large trailer for tighter narrower streets. Remember that rig needs to parked at every job safely.
    When I had mine built with front encased mower box & full height side tool box a 8 X 5 actually was a generic talked measurement more inline with metric which wasn't actually going to be the actual interior's usable size. So had to be very specific within internal measurements to ensure the 42 inch fitted length wise and mine being a smaller mower enough room for portable ramps to sit beside the mower whilst in transit. I don't always carry it, only for certain rounds.

Getting a custom trailer built takes time re quotes along with the engineering places wait time and man do they differ in quotes. I got quotes from Canberra to Melb (sth/nth & west) with both major engineering places in my own town being $1,000's cheaper and built quality of mine is excellent. Plus if they say 2-3 months, it could well be 3 or more if their a busy business.
    Then the sign writing if that path is taken, My sign writer said often the trailers don't get painted thick enough in coating, mine was Ok.

Great time to prepare over winter and launch leading into Spring. I launched the last week of August back in 2010 with mid September seeing it improve back then. But we all have different climates.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Gary, some good info there. I do have a 7x5 trailer now and it measured 5ft on the inside. I haven’t got any custom quote yet, just been looking at a few in Sydney from gumtree. Dual axle rated to 2 t with front mower box and side box for trimmers etc run at around 5.5k give or take $500. Found a mob in qld which sell a nice looking trailer for around $6k and it’s 6ft 6 wide, but qld is too far to go.

Ok hence the need for a 6ft for the work your chasing.
    Without taking the post away too much from the ZTR,

Another tip then if your not aware. Ensure a trailer of that size and load to be carried has all wheels braked. Commonly to keep price of tandem trailers down they brake the front wheels only and the rear set of the tandems are called the lazy wheels.
    I had enormous problems with my new SR5 dual cab front brakes with several machining of the disks under warranty and later two new rotors under warranty. As I only had the front trailer wheels braked on a 1200kg set up with all gear but not the 42in onboard. I braked the lazy wheels after the new rotors went on and along with constant monitoring balancing the heat in all 4 trailer wheels from braking, the problem is no more. As mentioned I don't carry the 42inch very often and still had braking issues.
    Cheers Garry

Thanks for the tip, wonder if electric brakes are the go as we have a 3t caravan so tug is set up to tow with electric brakes.

Still interested to hear if a good quality 50inch mower would be ok in the future or if I should future proof myself and go with a bigger trailer up front.

I do have electric brakes on the mowing trailer and Redarc Tow Pro dash controller dial. I've a Jayco Journey Tandem and it's 4 drum brakes brake like Brembo power assist disk brakes perfectly and can pull the SR5 up noticeably with ease if dialled too much.

Any how I'm taking your post away from the ZTR somewhat
    Cheers Garry

If you are looking for a commercial mower, I think you will find most of the decks go 48" > 52/54" > 60/61" > 72".

A 52" might be a tight squeeze in an 8x5 trailer.

I've got a 10x6 single axle for my 61" but it mostly travels on the open roads. I avoid taking it into town residential areas as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    If you are looking for a commercial mower, I think you will find most of the decks go 48" > 52/54" > 60/61" > 72".

A 52" might be a tight squeeze in an 8x5 trailer.

I've got a 10x6 single axle for my 61" but it mostly travels on the open roads. I avoid taking it into town residential areas as much as possible.
    Thanks edbeek, do you think you would be much worse off if you only had a 48/50inch compared to your 61? The more I think about it a 48 or 50 might not be that far behind in efficiency and there might be areas where a larger mower might not fit. We have one section on our property where our 50 inch just squeezes through a gap between a tree and fence line. A 50 would also fit on a smaller / less expensive trailer.

I think I’m leaning towards staying with the idea of a 8x5 trailer which limits mower size but hopefully a decent 50 inch mower would still be efficient.

JMT, I only had a 44" for a few years and I mowed 5 acre blocks. But no way I'd do it now. Spoilt now

If you're just starting out, better to make-do with what you can comfortably afford. No good spending lots of $$ on bigger gear, only to find out down the track that your client list is more suited to smaller gear.

Thanks edbeek, yes agree with not spending more then I need. My worry is setting up a trailer that will fit one size only to outgrow it and need a bigger trailer which would cost more in the long run. Spend a little more upfront to save more later or save money now and try not to outgrow it.

I’ll get some quotes to see what the difference will be in a wider trailer.

Very Helpful Member

If you factor in tax deductions and use you will probably find there isn't that much of a loss if you buy an 8X5 and then sell it in 2-3 years and buy something bigger
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks Ian, yeah that another good point. Even looking at a couple of specs a z554 Husky zero turn (dont know if they are good or bad) which is 54 inch has a width of 140cm with the chute up. My current 5th trailer is 150cm wide inside so would just squeeze it in. I think ill go with a 5ft trailer and if I start making better money and want to go bigger I can do that down the track. Just need to make sure a new 5ft trailer is actually 5ft and they dont rob me of the internal dimensions

Hi JMT , l am selling my 8x5 custom trailer in 2 weeks for $2,500 suits
    zero turn or tractor style .Suzanne [based in mildura]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast