Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero turn size

Default Re: Zero turn size

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    Hi JMT , l am selling my 8x5 custom trailer in 2 weeks for $2,500 suits
    zero turn or tractor style .Suzanne [based in mildura]
    Hi Suzanne, I live near Sydney so it might be a bit far but if you could post a photo of it, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Thanks Ian, yeah that another good point. Even looking at a couple of specs a z554 Husky zero turn (dont know if they are good or bad) which is 54 inch has a width of 140cm with the chute up. My current 5th trailer is 150cm wide inside so would just squeeze it in. I think ill go with a 5ft trailer and if I start making better money and want to go bigger I can do that down the track. Just need to make sure a new 5ft trailer is actually 5ft and they dont rob me of the internal dimensions
    If you are looking for a good commercial Husky ZTR the pz 524 has some good reviews and at a good price point. 54 inch is really versatile and if the shute comes off easy gets on/off an 8x5 trailer easy. My Hustler is 54 . Take the shute off on the smaller trailer bur my 66 inch on my 14x6 trailer has a Quikchute OCDC fitted. Tight squeeze on/off trailer but no probs for me now.
    As Gazza said a good brake controller and 4 wheeled brakes if you get a bigger trailer

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    If you are looking for a good commercial Husky ZTR the pz 524 has some good reviews and at a good price point. 54 inch is really versatile and if the shute comes off easy gets on/off an 8x5 trailer easy. My Hustler is 54 . Take the shute off on the smaller trailer bur my 66 inch on my 14x6 trailer has a Quikchute OCDC fitted. Tight squeeze on/off trailer but no probs for me now.
    As Gazza said a good brake controller and 4 wheeled brakes if you get a bigger trailer
    Awesome, thanks for the info, learning lots from this forum! Now to decide on the trailer...so many options.

Hi all, learning lots from this forum as I do my homework ready to start up at the end of winter to lead into spring.

I own a 50inch cub cadet zero turn for our own property. It’s about 11 years old and may not cope well with constant use. So as part of my set up I’m looking at getting a mowing trailer with a ramp for a zero turn. A 8x5 ft trailer seems the most common size but a 5ft trailer won’t fit anything more then a 50inch zero turn. Wondering if I should look at getting a 6ft trailer built in case I want to upgrade the zero turn in the future.

Thinking more about it maybe a commercial mower would be faster then my current mower so maybe sticking with 50inch would be fine? Should I be looking at a 6ft trailer to future proof myself in case I want a 60inch mower in the future or just run the more common 5ft trailer and upgrade to a better 50inch when / if the time comes?
    i could text you some photos need your mobile though

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsuzanne View Post
    i could text you some photos need your mobile though
    Post em up here, others could be interested ?

Cheers Fred.

That would be great, you can message me on 0402123734. Or yes post them up here too.

Hey mate, just my 2 cents

I've got a John Deere Z925A 54inch and that just fits inside my 10x5 trailer, I'm unaware of your area that you service, but like Gazza I'm trying to make my setup more compact as parking is becoming an absolute *****.

Anyhow, talk soon mate.

Thanks, yes ended up picking up a new trailer yesterday. Its 8x5 and from info on this site I am happy not to go bigger. Current zero turn will fit but when I update it ill go 48-54 max so will still fit. Really happy with the trailer. Rear ramp has a fold out section which increases the length so I dont bottom out but overall height is low enough to fit in garage if needed.

trailer.jpg

Thanks, yes ended up picking up a new trailer yesterday. Its 8x5 and from info on this site I am happy not to go bigger. Current zero turn will fit but when I update it ill go 48-54 max so will still fit. Really happy with the trailer. Rear ramp has a fold out section which increases the length so I dont bottom out but overall height is low enough to fit in garage if needed.

trailer.jpg
    looking good jmt

So things are on the move and now looking into the future. When it comes time to upgrade the zero turn to a more commercial version are there any brands I should avoid? On the Central Coast there seems to be dealers for just about every brand. Graverly, Toro, Husqvarna, Kubota, Hustler to name a few.

I’ve tried comparing specs and I’m thinking deck thickness, hydro specs and top speed are all things on my radar. But not sure if there is more to it then specs on paper. The husky z554 looks good on paper. Kubota Zg222 is a little cheaper but also little lower spec on paper. Current rig is cub cadet but a more residential mower so still a lot to learn.

Any brands I should avoid or head towards. Dealer support should be somewhat equal as they are all local.

forget about top speed, you can't cut grass at 12k's an hour....brands, l'm a gravely fanboy, also look at scag. Some brands make good commercial units and very ordinary cheaper units (toro, husqy, kubota, deere)
    hustler are a good unit, bobcat, maybe ferris........ l'd personally avoid cub cadet, they aren't up to commercial work but good to get you started on - see if you can sell it before it gets too abused, maybe trade-in

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thanks Redeye, I was wondering about the ability to cut at say 15km. Seen some YouTube stuff where it looks like they are flying along but maybe too speed isn’t important. The cub cadet is just what we have now but it’s old and I wouldn’t trust it used daily. Bobcat is also sold here, not sure is scag is around here though? The mowers I have seen are in the 10k-13k range, so not top of the range stuff but I think lower to mid commercial. What Graverly would you suggest at around 48-54 inch deck?

mate, i'd guess the youtube vids are American where they cut at 3-5" and do it weekly - hence the speed
    l'd suggest reading reviews, ask on Lawnsite, l'd think Scag, Gravely, Bobcat would all be good...probably in that order

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

JMT be prepared to have a lot more grey hairs before you finally decide. There's probably 8-10 manufacturers that make 'top of the line' commercial mowers available in AU. Each of these also produce 2 or 3 other commercial models to target lower price points in the market. Plenty of commercial operators have good runs out of the cheaper models.

Different decks handle different situations differently. Some will mow manicured lawns beautifully, but are not so good on overgrown paddocks and vice versa. What's important to some operators/clients is not important to others.

Once you have an idea of what sort of mowing you might be doing, try and demo some machines in that situation.

Thanks guys, all sounds like good advice. I know there won't be one perfect mower. What's a few more greys anyway... more distinguished look I say!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast