Guess 33 yrs in my old career with 28yrs of that being responsible for $28M per yr and some times $260M per yr, we had very strict rules that were astutely Audited for daily 24/7 compliance re CCTV & Alarm sectors armed, all day long and night including alarms notified back home. It was a pain in ars* job as mentioned.. But I had that for a fair wack of my life being used to having that stuff in my face.

My neighbour casualty said to me after the Feral in our street incident, time to "Get Real Gear" as a joke. He had contacts and I said organise it, as I was leaving with the van for Bate Man's Bay. Got the Quote, fine tuned it (spec'd higher) and thought, yer why not.
2.5 wks later it was installed.

The systems are very discrete (not Armagauard Depo Robo type stuff), but highly functional and can even operate it from the car coming up the road, in the car one can check system status, disarm or arm or perimeter seal and open roller door if you were keen enough.
As a minor thing one does get small discounts on several insurance policies.

In this day and age, it's a great thing to have with our town having a real drug problem that was in the Heraldsun 5wks back, yes installed at a cost.
A very nice luxury house overlooking the city on the hill side diagonally behind us got broken into at night 7wks back. It's nice to know we have perimeter seal alarm activated whilst asleep + G/Retriever inside and multi located duress buttons/functions within the house and beside the beds.