Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ute + trailer OR truck... how to choose? Help!!

Hybrid View

Default Ute + trailer OR truck... how to choose? Help!!

Hi all,

Looks like time has come for me to make a decision on my vehicle - 2006 Mercedes Sprinter LWB. I've had it for the last 6 years and it's been an absolutely perfect vehicle for me. 3L V6 turbo diesel has been rock solid reliable and has more than enough power.

But I put it in for a service on Friday, needed glow plugs + relay etc. as it simply would not start in temps below about 5ºC. Needed a new reversing camera, I'd already replaced rear shocks & brakes. Well he started taking stuff out of the engine bay to do the glow plugs and is just finding stuff like a broken turbo-something bracket that was allowing components to move under boost and I was loosing turbo randomly as I'd be driving along. New bracket, easy fix - but overall he said it's time to think about whether I really want to keep it... It still works, I've only put about 75,000km on it in the last 6 years, but things get old and need replacing like rubber bits (propshaft seals and maybe bearings I think he mentioned) and it just brings back memories of the old used Walker I first had, spent about $3k in one month on repairs one summer and that was what made me decide to buy new and haven't regretted it at all.

Budget is probably only around $30-40k, maybe just maybe stretch to $50k... wife is not keen on buying used again and would much rather have peace of mind of a 5-7 year warranty. I would be happy to buy a later model Sprinter but then they are more expensive to service and run (average around $700-800 service for me, newer models might be even more). Average 12-13L/100km as well. That is V6 tho, not sure I'd trust a use little 2.1L 4cyl diesel in such a big heavy vehicle. And I am reaching the limits of the 3.5T GVM, so I'd be looking at a 4 or 4.5T GVM on another Sprinter which is not as common as the 3.5T.

I've never had a trailer, the van fits the Walker, push mowers and everything else including up to about 400kg green waste when I need to. I've even had a half cube of sand in the back - yes the loader bucket fits in the rear doors with a skilled operator at the helm! So like I said, amazing vehicle and it's been perfect for me so far.

But to appease the wife I agreed to consider a new/runout/demo Triton they're around $35k. I think the missus is kinda keen on being able to go 4WD'ing actually... but then I would need a trailer as well, but I'd only want to tow that when needed for the ZTR or other big equipment, garden tidy ups etc. Ideally want to be able to do regular push mow jobs with just the ute so my budget would need to include drawers/racks, lockable canopy etc.

While I'm considering different options, a truck could be handy but I'd need toolboxes etc., a bit of custom work to install ramps etc. and not sure how much that would cost. And not sure it's worth getting a light truck that isn't a tipper. (Is split tray tipper a thing? Half tipper, half flat tray?)

Anyway, just wanted to ask opinions on the 2018 Triton and see how others setup their utes to keep all the gear safe and secure? Or is it not realistic to have majority of tools & push mower on the back of a ute?

Default Re: Ute + trailer OR truck... how to choose? Help!!

Its your call but, it seems a close one.
    Ive had my truck now for 22 of it 25yrs so its now a classic

30-40-50k is a lot in repairs/ maintenance.
    I think if you change vehicles you should get the smallest vehicle that you can comfortably get the job done with.
    In suburban Melb the traffic is just getting worse & worse.
    Parking & general manouvering is getting tighter & tighter.
    If this is a concern for you, seriously consider not getting a trailer.

Its all a compromise.
    I think that the van/truck option would be more suitable for work but they won't get you up rocky track.
    A 4wd ute may/maynot do the job for you? But if it does, its the more fun vehicle.

A Unimog/Iveco type vehicle may do it all for you but, $$$$$$$

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Its your call but, it seems a close one.
    Ive had my truck now for 22 of it 25yrs so its now a classic

30-40-50k is a lot in repairs/ maintenance.
    I think if you change vehicles you should get the smallest vehicle that you can comfortably get the job done with.
    In suburban Melb the traffic is just getting worse & worse.
    Parking & general manouvering is getting tighter & tighter.
    If this is a concern for you, seriously consider not getting a trailer.

Its all a compromise.
    I think that the van/truck option would be more suitable for work but they won't get you up rocky track.
    A 4wd ute may/maynot do the job for you? But if it does, its the more fun vehicle.

A Unimog/Iveco type vehicle may do it all for you but, $$$$$$$

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Fred.

Hey fred what is your vehicle make? I think I have asked before but I have forgotten.

Did an injector in my Kia K2900 and it cost $500 just for the part. Another $400 for labour which was fair enough and I was happy that it wasn't something more serious. I couldn't analyse it myself (injectors don't throw codes) and had to take it to a trusted mechanic. Even if I did know it was the injector I don't have the knowledge or the experience to mess around with the high pressure fuel rail. There are no workshops manuals these days anyway. Injectors, turbos, egr valves can be problematic when it comes to running a turbo diesel vehicle over a long period of time and the issue is even if you know what the problem is (e.g. EGR valves) they can be a nightmare to access and some of these parts will set you back a grand or more just for the part. I'll think about going back to petrol in future. Electric would be even better but still another 4 or 5 years away.
    Traffic is killing this country and probably us too. I suspect the emergence of UBER is partially responsible. Less people on public transport which means they can cut services which forces more people on to the road. Vicious cycle. How much money are those toll roads making?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Hey fred what is your vehicle make? I think I have asked before but I have forgotten.

Did an injector in my Kia K2900 and it cost $500 just for the part. Another $400 for labour which was fair enough and I was happy that it wasn't something more serious. I couldn't analyse it myself (injectors don't throw codes) and had to take it to a trusted mechanic. Even if I did know it was the injector I don't have the knowledge or the experience to mess around with the high pressure fuel rail. There are no workshops manuals these days anyway. Injectors, turbos, egr valves can be problematic when it comes to running a turbo diesel vehicle over a long period of time and the issue is even if you know what the problem is (e.g. EGR valves) they can be a nightmare to access and some of these parts will set you back a grand or more just for the part. I'll think about going back to petrol in future. Electric would be even better but still another 4 or 5 years away.
    Traffic is killing this country and probably us too. I suspect the emergence of UBER is partially responsible. Less people on public transport which means they can cut services which forces more people on to the road. Vicious cycle. How much money are those toll roads making?
    Hi Steveo, truck is a dual cab tipper, Mazda T4000.
    Not so much the make but the simplicity of design, I think.
    I service it easily myself.
    No intercoolers , turbo's, etc.
    Its no rocket but, it keeps up with suburban traffic comfortably.
    It does what I want & has so for many years.

Would I buy another in this day & age if I could ? ...... you betcha !

Cheers Fred.

I have a 2 door ute and can get most of my tools on + a mower for regular town mowing. It gets a bit cramped at times if I collect much green waste. The toolboxes could be set up better, but I went cheap & made do with second hand boxes.

Add a trailer for another mower & ztr.

IMG_20180923_180002 (2)rs.jpg

As said above, parking/traffic in Brissie would be the main factor. l'm in a small town so parking with ute & trailer is no hassle, on the rare days l only take the ute using ramps to load/unload is a pita for me...it sounds like you have the perfect set up for city-centric work

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

ute (1 of 1).jpgmy set up is pretty basic with 2 whippers and a hedger racked up , tool box carrying blower fuel tools chain saw battery hedge etc..normally i carry 2self propelled mowers and only put the trailer on for commercial work with the z turn..in our area parking is very limited so the ute is a god send to park in the driveway..greenwaste is normally binned but there's heaps available if required...this is a 2016 no thrills hilux can't kill ute...i had a 2003 and the only reason i haven t today is a p plater did a turn in front of me ...... this model has a long tray and as i said a simple set up......my trailer is 7 by 5 large spring load full tail gate for the rider and only comes out for the commercials which has large carparks and space is no problems...tool box is large enough i do have under side small boxes for other stuff ..as i said no thrills just a work horse..i have other transport for leisure .......

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    ute (1 of 1).jpgmy set up is pretty basic with 2 whippers and a hedger racked up , tool box carrying blower fuel tools chain saw battery hedge etc..normally i carry 2self propelled mowers and only put the trailer on for commercial work with the z turn..in our area parking is very limited so the ute is a god send to park in the driveway..greenwaste is normally binned but there's heaps available if required...this is a 2016 no thrills hilux can't kill ute...i had a 2003 and the only reason i haven t today is a p plater did a turn in front of me ...... this model has a long tray and as i said a simple set up......my trailer is 7 by 5 large spring load full tail gate for the rider and only comes out for the commercials which has large carparks and space is no problems...tool box is large enough i do have under side small boxes for other stuff ..as i said no thrills just a work horse..i have other transport for leisure .......
    Hi Geoff, loving the whippy racks. I think i'm getting inspired to do do some.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stephenst View Post
    Cheers
    Couple of stubbies ...bit of guitar jamming in between ..amp full on of course and yep job done....

Cheers
    I will take a photo of some I got made on my last trailer built. Give you some ideas.
    Got the idea from utube

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I will take a photo of some I got made on my last trailer built. Give you some ideas.
    Got the idea from utube
    thanks, sounds great!
    cheers

thanks, sounds great!
    cheers
    Hope they load from my phone. Here goes.
    7999AE2E-7FEC-400D-B092-007A830A3C8D.jpg

B773D150-A06F-4F54-9F79-DE5160D18D11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

l like your whippy rack Geoff

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    l like your whippy rack Geoff
    thanks mate , actually cheap as , a few storage holders (hooks ) from bunnings and treated pine painted screwed into ute uprights..was going to use still but ute is always under cover rap ely sees much rain...and a lot cheaper and quick to install ...

Geoff hanging on your wall is a narrow Fiskars rake, do you know if you can still get them where you are.
    I am after some new ones and Bunnings don't stock them anymore. They are one of the handiest tools you will own, and I cant find them anywhere

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast