Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ute + trailer OR truck... how to choose? Help!!

Default Re: Ute + trailer OR truck... how to choose? Help!!

Haha
    Tesla has a ute in the works though

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    I will take a photo of some I got made on my last trailer built. Give you some ideas.
    Got the idea from utube
    thanks, sounds great!
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stephenst View Post
    thanks, sounds great!
    cheers
    Hope they load from my phone. Here goes.
    7999AE2E-7FEC-400D-B092-007A830A3C8D.jpg

B773D150-A06F-4F54-9F79-DE5160D18D11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for uploading, they look great!
    cheers

LOL Prius with a trailer!
    If I could afford it, I'd have a Tesla Model X with a trailer for sure... The Tesla work truck/ute will be a while off and I really hope they do it right. It won't be cheap tho... not going to be viable for most of us for a good 10-15 years I'd say. Unless there is some massive breakthrough in battery technology that drops the price right down.

Anyway thanks for all the input.

Got my Sprinter back on Tuesday last week - mechanic gave me the run down and it's not quite as bad as it sounded over the phone... thank goodness!! He is just a really straight up type of mechanic, if somethings not right he wants to fix it properly, not just let you "get by" with it. Anyway I spent $3.5k last week, needs another $1.8k spent on tie rods, centre bearings, seals etc... which isn't that bad. It was a cheap van when I bought it (my Walker cost more, a fair bit more if you include all the extras!), it's the perfect setup for me so it looks like I'll hang onto it.

When I do upgrade it will either be a 4/4.5t Sprinter or a small tipper truck with big toolboxes behind the cab. Not cheap, but now that I know the score I'd rather budget for it an start saving...

The other big reason for throwing a 4x4 ute into the mix is that my wife really just wants to be able to go 4WD'ing. So the solution there is to get rid of her car and let her have the ute...

Anyway it's been a good exercise to consider the next step in vehicles, not something you want to take you by surprise or have to rush the decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Its your call but, it seems a close one.
    Ive had my truck now for 22 of it 25yrs so its now a classic

30-40-50k is a lot in repairs/ maintenance.
    I think if you change vehicles you should get the smallest vehicle that you can comfortably get the job done with.
    In suburban Melb the traffic is just getting worse & worse.
    Parking & general manouvering is getting tighter & tighter.
    If this is a concern for you, seriously consider not getting a trailer.

Its all a compromise.
    I think that the van/truck option would be more suitable for work but they won't get you up rocky track.
    A 4wd ute may/maynot do the job for you? But if it does, its the more fun vehicle.

A Unimog/Iveco type vehicle may do it all for you but, $$$$$$$

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Fred.

Hey fred what is your vehicle make? I think I have asked before but I have forgotten.

Did an injector in my Kia K2900 and it cost $500 just for the part. Another $400 for labour which was fair enough and I was happy that it wasn't something more serious. I couldn't analyse it myself (injectors don't throw codes) and had to take it to a trusted mechanic. Even if I did know it was the injector I don't have the knowledge or the experience to mess around with the high pressure fuel rail. There are no workshops manuals these days anyway. Injectors, turbos, egr valves can be problematic when it comes to running a turbo diesel vehicle over a long period of time and the issue is even if you know what the problem is (e.g. EGR valves) they can be a nightmare to access and some of these parts will set you back a grand or more just for the part. I'll think about going back to petrol in future. Electric would be even better but still another 4 or 5 years away.
    Traffic is killing this country and probably us too. I suspect the emergence of UBER is partially responsible. Less people on public transport which means they can cut services which forces more people on to the road. Vicious cycle. How much money are those toll roads making?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Hey fred what is your vehicle make? I think I have asked before but I have forgotten.

Did an injector in my Kia K2900 and it cost $500 just for the part. Another $400 for labour which was fair enough and I was happy that it wasn't something more serious. I couldn't analyse it myself (injectors don't throw codes) and had to take it to a trusted mechanic. Even if I did know it was the injector I don't have the knowledge or the experience to mess around with the high pressure fuel rail. There are no workshops manuals these days anyway. Injectors, turbos, egr valves can be problematic when it comes to running a turbo diesel vehicle over a long period of time and the issue is even if you know what the problem is (e.g. EGR valves) they can be a nightmare to access and some of these parts will set you back a grand or more just for the part. I'll think about going back to petrol in future. Electric would be even better but still another 4 or 5 years away.
    Traffic is killing this country and probably us too. I suspect the emergence of UBER is partially responsible. Less people on public transport which means they can cut services which forces more people on to the road. Vicious cycle. How much money are those toll roads making?
    Hi Steveo, truck is a dual cab tipper, Mazda T4000.
    Not so much the make but the simplicity of design, I think.
    I service it easily myself.
    No intercoolers , turbo's, etc.
    Its no rocket but, it keeps up with suburban traffic comfortably.
    It does what I want & has so for many years.

Would I buy another in this day & age if I could ? ...... you betcha !

Cheers Fred.

steveo, delete the egr if at all possible...they are the scourge of all diesels

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    LOL Prius with a trailer!
    Yeah and you buy the special trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klY4jvMX7do

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Yeah and you buy the special trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klY4jvMX7do
    That's awesome!

I've never seen before

Definitely interested in a a couple of kits.
    I've had a look at the webpage but wondering if it's still around as the link to the gofundme page isn't working anymore.
    http://autobacking.com/

I've sent an email enquiry through to see

*edit - email bounced so maybe no longer in business

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    That's awesome!

I've never seen before

Definitely interested in a a couple of kits.
    I've had a look at the webpage but wondering if it's still around as the link to the gofundme page isn't working anymore.
    http://autobacking.com/

I've sent an email enquiry through to see

*edit - email bounced so maybe no longer in business
    Looks pretty cool but, in reality proly overkill.
    How many times do you have to back around an obstacle coarse at speed ?
    Might be the future but at this point in time, seems more economical to spend half a day on a w/end practising in an industrial area?
    Backing a trailer really isn't that hard with a little practise.

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    steveo, delete the egr if at all possible...they are the scourge of all diesels
    The egr valve redirects exhaust gas back in to the engine so removing it would impact how the engine runs. I have read that it cools the combustion chamber.

I had an issue with a ford territory the other day where it went in to limp home due to a faulty egr signal. When I figured out which egr it was I unplugged it and it allowed the vehicle to be driven home. It was at night so I drove behind it and there was a crap load of smoke coming out of it under load. I suspect there was also a loss of power too. Anyway the next day I plugged the EGR back in and the code didn't come back.

"The egr valve redirects exhaust gas back in to the engine"......exactly, thats why everyone blocks them, they are a curse

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    "The egr valve redirects exhaust gas back in to the engine"......exactly, thats why everyone blocks them, they are a curse
    Played up again in the last week. This time it stopped working and engine was constantly going in to limp home so the missus threatened to take it to a mechanic. That was enough to get me working on it. Pulled out half the engine bay to get at it. One of the worst jobs ever. Finally got it out, tested it, it was jammed, cleaned it, tested it again, it worked, put it back on. At one stage I thought it was knackered and got a quote on a new one at the local dealer. $1800.00, has ford gone ****ing insane? An aftermarket one at Ford is $800 ****en dollars. One on ebay is $220.00.

They are making a motza on spare parts.

This is the third diesel I have had this issue with but I'm getting better at fixing them. The hardest part is accessing it.

Well done steve

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast