Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: All 2-strokes end of life June 30th 2020

Default All 2-strokes end of life June 30th 2020

For anyone who didn't know..
    All two strokes sales cease at end of financial year,no dealer is allowed to sell them or import them after June 30th.
    While spare parts will be available for some years after.

Will it change anything for the end user on how they operate there business ? only you will know.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................

From July 1, 2019, only products that meet emissions standards or have an exemption will be allowed to be supplied in Australia.
    New emissions standards apply to new products. They do not apply to engines and equipment people already own or to second-hand engines and equipment.

Default Re: All 2-strokes end of life June 30th 2020

Is this 2020 bit a new regulation?
    I thought the quote at the bottom of your post was the reg.
    As far as I know, the brand name 2 strokes are compliant with US & EU standards so will still be available.

There is exceptions what it is exactly i don't know.It states imported goods.
    The deadline was June 30th 2019 but due to too many retail outlets trying to move there stock by that time was impracticable the deadline was extended to the end on this financial year.

I can't find anything recent, but here is the OPE Australia view from a couple or years ago.

https://opea.net.au/outboard-emissio...r-the-details/

Basically, 2 stroke mowers & generators are finished
    2 stroke handhelds meeting US or EU standards are ok
    Chinese junk 2 strokes are finished.

Well that's what the exemption could be,i did notice all Echo trimmers were no longer a choice at my local mower shop and the Rover power hand helds were gone.I do remember reading the U.S. forum with them saying some brands/models that were no longer available which they liked using are being sold in Aus,guessing these will be removed here from sale end of financial year.

Not sure BJ, but Echo & other brands had a reshuffle when the old Aust distributor finished.(was it Allpower?) Echo & Shindaiwa are now distributed by B&S dealers in AU. Pretty sure their newer models would be compliant.
    I think the Rover OPE was budget stuff so probably not compliant.

I see Husqvarna still has a few 'old school' chainsaws listed. Unless they changed them recently, the 390xp, 395xp & 3120xp had the old style carbs. Looks like the new pro models have a 5 prefix on the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Not sure BJ, but Echo & other brands had a reshuffle when the old Aust distributor finished.(was it Allpower?) Echo & Shindaiwa are now distributed by B&S dealers in AU. Pretty sure their newer models would be compliant.
    They are, I asked about replacing my Shindy t230 when it got stolen a few months back and was told you can't, it had to be the new model, due to the emission laws that came in.
    I'd totally forgotten about the new laws until then, which explains why I couldn't find anything available online.

The popular Stihl FS85R is gone replaced with FS70R,and the FS90 replaced with FS91

Quote Originally Posted by brett73 View Post
    They are, I asked about replacing my Shindy t230 when it got stolen a few months back and was told you can't, it had to be the new model, due to the emission laws that came in.
    I'd totally forgotten about the new laws until then, which explains why I couldn't find anything available online.
    Thats why I just bought another Shindy EB802 from the USA. Have a pretty good stock of shindy & makita 2 strokes