Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda 216 M2 blade brake question

Default Honda 216 M2 blade brake question

Hi guys
    Just picked up a Honda s/p 216M2 after using the earlier model 216d for 5 years. The blade brake is driving me mad. I'm so used to throwing the mower around left, right and back again, this blade brake handle is really slowing me down - trying to keep it engaged whilst i let the s/p out and then back in through the turn. Has anyone using an M2 tried fixing the blade brake handle in the on position permanently, say with velcro or a cable tie? Would there be any issues with other parts of the mower if it were more or less permanently engaged just like the earlier models? Would like to hear your feedback.

Gary from Coffs Harbour

Default Re: Honda 216 M2 blade brake question

do you hold blade brake on with left and use right to engage drive?
    wouldn't be any issues mechanically if you tied it on permanently except that the clutch would last longer
    but if you can persevere a bit longer i rkn the blade brake will grow on you.

Yes Chris, left hand on the blade brake, left turns are okay but the right turns are much harder. I'm a tall bloke at 195cm so I'm already a bit hunched over. I must have looked like a beginner on the first couple of lawns. Forever stopping and trying to work out what hand does what. Maybe it is a bit early to be thinking of brake mods. G

easy solution clip from bunnings

Thanks Mower Rob, good simple idea, i just searched my garage and found a very similar clamp so i will give it a go tomorrow.
    Do you put that clip on after you have started the motor, each time, or do you just leave it on throughout your day?

lol, youd want to have something easy to take off and throw over the fence IF you cut your fingers off in there

"DAMN that blade brake misfunctioned on me mr insurance assessor."

"clipping it on? NO ID NEVER"

cable ties, i dont think so

joke joke joke

i know no one on here would ever seriously eliminate a safety feature.

honest mr insurance guy - HONEST !!!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMc View Post
    Thanks Mower Rob, good simple idea, i just searched my garage and found a very similar clamp so i will give it a go tomorrow.
    Do you put that clip on after you have started the motor, each time, or do you just leave it on throughout your day?
    Yeah we put clip on after motor is started so when we are ready to mow we engage blade break put clip on. Then while mowing if we need to empty catcher we just release clip. You will work it out. Its a very simple but effective remedy have been using it for 12=18 months

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMc View Post
    Yes Chris, left hand on the blade brake, left turns are okay but the right turns are much harder. I'm a tall bloke at 195cm so I'm already a bit hunched over. I must have looked like a beginner on the first couple of lawns. Forever stopping and trying to work out what hand does what. Maybe it is a bit early to be thinking of brake mods. G
    You just swap hands as you turn. Not sure exactly which way I do it but I think as I am turning left the left hand stays on the brake and the right hand does the drive lever then when turning right the left hand does the drive lever. Something like that anyway. The brake only comes off to empt the catcher or drive across rocky paths etc. Seriously once you get used to it the handle won't be an issue....and your blades (and probably deck) will last a lot longer.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

mods.jpgI too am really P****SD off with the break arm...
    I wasn't getting used to it. Had to keep on starting the mower every time i had to empty the catcher...
    So i made my own modifications.
    The jockey strap keeps the rear flap up also, easier to put the catcher back on too. And good for mulching. The strap goes around the upper arm to hold the break on....
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Haven't had to deal with these yet, as I bought a supply of the old 216D's before they were discontinued.
    Looking at them in the shop, I'd be inclined to transfer the blade brake "deadman" to a knee type lever on the lower handle cross bar.

Hoping my stock of old 216's will last till someone comes up with a decent mower, the world ends, or Honda wake up from their cash induced indifference. (my money is on the end of the world happening first)
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    mods.jpgI too am really P****SD off with the break arm...
    I wasn't getting used to it. Had to keep on starting the mower every time i had to empty the catcher...
    So i made my own modifications.
    The jockey strap keeps the rear flap up also, easier to put the catcher back on too. And good for mulching. The strap goes around the upper arm to hold the break on....
    the genuine 216m2's engine doesnt turn off when the blade brake lever is released... only the blades stop spinning which is why its handy to have

other mowers have an engine kill switch which cuts ignition when lever is released.. which sounds like the type you have

Yep. Its a Chonda with the bloody kill switch break bar...
    The one on the right is the real genuine Honda 216.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Well thanks for the couple of ideas. I have had 1 week now on the new Honda M2 and I'm quite happy with it. I tried the spring clamp on the blade brake and it certainly made the machine easier to use. I also tried double sided velcro which at times was better - you don't notice it there - although a bit fiddly to attach after each start - the clamp is a lot quicker to put on and take off. I still haven't been able to put the new beast into a 4 wheel drift through turns like the old 216d but I think that's because the tyres have tread, front and rear axles are tight and the handle bar has no flex. The M2 was only about $50 more than the 216d that I bought 3 years ago yet most aspects of the machine are far superior to the earlier model. I'm even happy with the blade brake idea, I have used it heaps to get over gravel, pebble and even mulched gardens without creating a scene from a war movie, its just a shame it comes with a bar that has to be held 100% of the time to mow - a switch or button would have sufficed, but maybe that will come when Honda open up the rear discharge shute.

Gary from Coffs

Can the blade break clutch be removed totally? So you can mow like the older 216?

Just remember to disengage a safety device will cause probs. Insurance claim/workcover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast