Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mower 2020??

Default Best mower 2020??

G’day guys, I’m looking at replacing my Husky LC19ap which has been awesome for 6 yrs. I haven’t really been looking so lost a bit of touch with what’s now out there, so wondering what mower I should be looking at?

I’d like to stay with the Husqvarna, but their self propelled unit doesn’t look real strong. Then there’s the Masport Contractor series ST S21SPV BBC Honda, which ticks a lot of boxes. Obviously Honda still out there & I hear they have finally built a mower for Aussie conditions. Kubota do a self propelled, I’m a bit suss on the Toro’s.

What are the recommendations guys? Pro’s & con’s?

Cheers

Default Re: Best mower 2020??

Quote Originally Posted by dartoo View Post
    G’day guys, I’m looking at replacing my Husky LC19ap which has been awesome for 6 yrs. I haven’t really been looking so lost a bit of touch with what’s now out there, so wondering what mower I should be looking at?

I’d like to stay with the Husqvarna, but their self propelled unit doesn’t look real strong. Then there’s the Masport Contractor series ST S21SPV BBC Honda, which ticks a lot of boxes. Obviously Honda still out there & I hear they have finally built a mower for Aussie conditions. Kubota do a self propelled, I’m a bit suss on the Toro’s.

What are the recommendations guys? Pro’s & con’s?

Cheers
    I hear they have finally built a mower for Aussie conditions.
    It's still the same mower in models 214,215 & 216 current model,we only got some yank models that don't really work here for the lawn conditions we have.
    The main reason Honda 216 models are so popular is there really isn't much to go wrong with them,the gearbox would be the weakest part but hard use would still get 3-4 years out of one.Replacement parts are cheaper through ebay and that's about it.
    Any thing else with catcher models can't last as long like Honda,that's why there's so many of them about.You need reliability and you should also be able to reach for a 2nd or 3rd mower in standby for different conditions not necessarily all the same mower or brand.

i have the rover 560 with the 910 engine, good catching ability & mulches well .cons, gearboxes last about 2 years

I've heard good things about the HUSQVARNA LB 548S & 553S.

Videos below show it's superior mulching abilities. Basically makes branches disappear.

https://youtu.be/PFXbSAgIDhM

https://youtu.be/WuNZWtxGGAQ

Can't find minimum cutting height spec's though.

The clips look a bit different to the model available in Aust. The AU version LB553Se goes down to 27mm.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/au/product...s-e/967862501/

Thanks Ed.

27mm is not low enough for me and my mostly couch grass clients.

anyone used the battery selfpropelled husky mowers?

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Gone to the Rover Procut 950. Very happy with the quality of cut whether wet or dry grass, mulching or catching. Reliable. Hasn't let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Gone to the Rover Procut 950. Very happy with the quality of cut whether wet or dry grass, mulching or catching. Reliable. Hasn't let me down yet.
    if it has the disc the honda blades fit on there

I have the 950 too.I haven't used it that much.
    SP is really slow and now the blade brake is causing trouble and keeps disengaging the blades!any easy way to bypass the blade brake?

I had the speed up kit ( different pulley) installed and the the rpm adjusted up and the mower is almost a little too quick to walk behind. But I'm happy with it. Your blade brake cable may need adjusting. To hold the blade brake in the engaged position I cut a piece of 25mm PVC 3/4" long and cut it longitudually so that it clips over the handle bar. Rotate it to keep the blade brake engaged or rotate it again to release the blade brake. Frees up your hands when mowing.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    I had the speed up kit ( different pulley) installed and the the rpm adjusted up and the mower is almost a little too quick to walk behind. But I'm happy with it. Your blade brake cable may need adjusting. To hold the blade brake in the engaged position I cut a piece of 25mm PVC 3/4" long and cut it longitudually so that it clips over the handle bar. Rotate it to keep the blade brake engaged or rotate it again to release the blade brake. Frees up your hands when mowing.
    Cheers mate!
    Where can I get the speed up kit?
    The brake slips while I am still holding the lever!the other lever at the side you push before the one on the top handle maybe be the culprit but doesn't look like anything is wrong with it?..

I got my dealer to install the kit. I'd get them to up the revs first and see if that"s fast enough. Another bloke here did only that and he's happy with the speed.

Very Helpful Member

I have the older style 950 used it on my lawn thee other week 1st time I have used it in a while and it was easily fast enough for me probably just a bit slower than my 216 in 3rd which has high revs and 9" rear wheels, I can't remember how I increased the revs (I did it a few years ago )but it wasn't hard
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Looking at getting this one ....

https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...21-850-ic.html

Just don't know if it has a mulching blade-disc underneath like the Mustang etc. My current Victa has this and it means a lot less catcher emptying because the finer clippings take much longer to fill up the catcher.

Supposedly has a "heavy duty commercial grade gearbox". Time will tell just how heavy duty it is I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast