Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

and if you have a partnership with your wife the other partner can get job seeker...we started to go through that and when it came near the end it said " have you or your partner have a fishing licence " WTF there was to much reporting for the job seeker so job keeper is so easy once a month report on turnover
    and happy just with that payment..

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    check the qualifying criteria as there is the basic 30% reduction and also another section with special circumstances which includes a provision for drought among other things,not sure how this works as I only noticed it when having a quick look this morning before going to work.It may also be worth working out if (in the interest of social distancing) you push some lawns out ie: instead of three mows in the April-June 1/4 you do two mows and the third goes into the 1st week of July then this will give you a 1/3 reduction for the quarter
    Thanks Ian. I just read that up and it looks like you can use an average monthly turnover figure to compare to. (Averaged over the previous 12 months). The drought/bushfire exceptions only come into it if you qualified for assistance at the time. If so, you can exclude the affected months from the averaging.

I would have qualified for the 30% reduction in April, except a couple of larger overdue Feb accounts were paid on 30th April. I use Cash Accounting.
    I should definitely qualify in May.

Hi Geoff, Yes I think I'll go with the quarterly estimate.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I use quarterly comparison/estimate I should get the assistance for April onward.
    Whereas if I go monthly, May will be the first month that I can show a 30% fall, so I only get assistance from May onward?

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Hi Geoff, Yes I think I'll go with the quarterly estimate.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I use quarterly comparison/estimate I should get the assistance for April onward.
    Whereas if I go monthly, May will be the first month that I can show a 30% fall, so I only get assistance from May onward?
    you could be right but i would spend a day at home and ring the ATO direct ..then you will have to correct answer ...something like this you need to go direct to source ..good luck with it

Who would have predicted that face masks and hand santisers would be big business
    Let's see what happens for rest of 2020. We are only halfway through the year.

Business is booming compared to last year, sales up 40% and profit up 300%

Im seeing less part time lawnies on the road, and more calls saying there lawnie just stopped doing it.

This stimulus package might be making a new generation of dole bludgers, just stop work, stop paying rent or the morgage and recieve the Dole, Jobkeeper, Parenting payments and rent assistance.
    A couple can get the Dole $500 a week, Jobkeeper $750, add a few kids and Parenting payments nearly 1,500 a week.

Hi everyone - I'm a very new member looking to start up a business. I've been looking into this for about 6 months, taking my time to get set up properly and understand the business before leaping in.

I'm based in Victoria and am thinking that there is significant potential for both increased supply (eg people being out of work and therefore moving into the industry) and reduced demand (eg people mowing their lawns themselves due to being at home more, reduced income, etc).

So what do you think? Is now a particularly bad time to be setting up shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Business is booming compared to last year, sales up 40% and profit up 300%

Im seeing less part time lawnies on the road, and more calls saying there lawnie just stopped doing it.

This stimulus package might be making a new generation of dole bludgers, just stop work, stop paying rent or the morgage and recieve the Dole, Jobkeeper, Parenting payments and rent assistance.
    A couple can get the Dole $500 a week, Jobkeeper $750, add a few kids and Parenting payments nearly 1,500 a week.
    If i recall don't you work in a country town ?

Quote Originally Posted by 33293 View Post
    Hi everyone - I'm a very new member looking to start up a business. I've been looking into this for about 6 months, taking my time to get set up properly and understand the business before leaping in.

I'm based in Victoria and am thinking that there is significant potential for both increased supply (eg people being out of work and therefore moving into the industry) and reduced demand (eg people mowing their lawns themselves due to being at home more, reduced income, etc).

So what do you think? Is now a particularly bad time to be setting up shop?
    If you want to succeed in building this business into something worth while buy a lawn round.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If you want to succeed in building this business into something worth while buy a lawn round.
    Cheers for the tip. I've been looking out on Gumtree for rounds for sale - are there any other places I should keep an eye on?

Quote Originally Posted by 33293 View Post
    Cheers for the tip. I've been looking out on Gumtree for rounds for sale - are there any other places I should keep an eye on?
    Just try google every few days,most rounds are being snapped up by unemployed needing work and with no jobs to apply for they are using there super to buy a business including lawn rounds.Not easy getting a lawn round going from scratch it's a long hard slog as many find out,then they give up.

Agree with BeetleJuice. Very hard slog to start from scratch but can be done if you are prepared to do the work. You will need capital/money behind you if you decide to go ahead to pay the bills.

Income won’t be instant but outgoings will be. Took me 2-3 years to start seeing a profit. Whatever you decide, try and do as much research as possible in the area you want to operate ie, competition, demographic etc.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Agree with BeetleJuice. Very hard slog to start from scratch but can be done if you are prepared to do the work. You will need capital/money behind you if you decide to go ahead to pay the bills.

Income won’t be instant but outgoings will be. Took me 2-3 years to start seeing a profit. Whatever you decide, try and do as much research as possible in the area you want to operate ie, competition, demographic etc.

All the best!
    Awesome. Thank you.

So, I’m definitely prepared to work hard and am in the fortunate position of having worked an office job for about 15 years, I’ve got some decent leave saved up that can help with income before I become profitable.

In terms of research one thing I’m struggling with is whether COVID has impacted the industry and whether that makes now a particularly bad time to try to start?

I see you’re in Melbourne - I’m in Geelong and I don’t think it will be long until we’re under similar restrictions - are you seeing a change in customers / competition? My reading is that jobkeeper etc is keeping people in work for the time being so it might be a while before impacts come through....

Thanks again!

Chris

Very Helpful Member

I lost 6 clients in April/May due to the virus they gave the work to their out of work adult children and I haven't picked up any new regulars to replace them but I also haven't done any advertising at all.
    I have noticed a few people out there that I haven't seen before but then again people could be looking at me and thinking I'm new as I have just bought a new trailer and also have all new signage on it and while there are new people out there and also as I said people who now have relatives do it there are also people who are not taking on extra work, as someone I was talking to said why take on extra garden work at this time of the year like he's done since starting when if he earns an extra $200 this month he won't qualify for the 30% drop in business and will lose $3000 in benefits
    I always suggest if possible to start part time and have some understanding of how hard it can be and at least some income before jumping in full time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks Ian - sorry to hear you’ve lost a few clients but hopefully you’re doing well overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    if he earns an extra $200 this month he won't qualify for the 30% drop in business and will lose $3000 in benefits

Hmmm that is very interesting and not something I had thought about at all. I guess the message is that there are pros and cons of starting at any time!

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast