Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Best form of defence is to listen to the science. Politicians and newspapers don't start taking notice of scientists until its too late.

There is a pretty handy FAQ here from the world authority on this

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

Interesting that the virus can survive on some surfaces for up to 3 days depending on the surface so beware handling money folks. Wash hands after handling money.
    Scientists and politicians are all just part of the big pharma conspiracy my facebook & twitter friends are much more reliable than them
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Best form of defence is to listen to the science. Politicians and newspapers don't start taking notice of scientists until its too late.

There is a pretty handy FAQ here from the world authority on this

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

Interesting that the virus can survive on some surfaces for up to 3 days depending on the surface so beware handling money folks. Wash hands after handling money.
    Maybe also get that positive airflow room going, don't let anyone else in, don't go out, disinfect everything you come into contact with and turn on the TV! Just hope you stockpiled enough toilet paper and go on that diet you were going to do for the last 5 yrs. Don't know if netflix or the others will be worth watching - with our BIG NBN upgrade recently we will see what it can really handle
    Good luck and Merry Christmas - just in case our NBN has a meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    I'll keep this short as taking it off topic a little.
    Visit Vet 8.30 am dog need Op asap on leg, $4,500. Great timing lol, best I get out and mow some lawns.
    Bloody hell. If it makes you feel any better got the news today my kia fuel rail has some serious problems. At least 2 injectors knackered, metal traces in the fuel, low fuel rail pressure. Probably contaminated fuel at some stage. Not good.

Bloody hell. If it makes you feel any better got the news today my kia fuel rail has some serious problems. At least 2 injectors knackered, metal traces in the fuel, low fuel rail pressure. Probably contaminated fuel at some stage. Not good.
    That sounds nasty and costly.
    Definitely not what one one wants with this COV crap going on, plus Stage 2 Lockdown possible soon.

So much work out there and a few new calls incoming (knocking them back) with recent rains and soil temp still good, More heavy rain Sun & Mon for the Border. Even Canberra to get some.
    Just got to hope Stage 2 doesn't lock us out otherwise a Grass Forest will develop. We will be cutting lawns when its over with the hedger up on a step ladder. Whilst using the pole saw on the weeds. lol

I do work at the Airport and now there's no flights and an empty airport carpark, was there yesterday (Sun). But that joint has to remain pretty so guess wont lose to much work there.

I run two diesel fuel filters, fitted by Toyota dealer in the sale contract
    Cheers Garry

P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Also did some searching this morning and at this stage our business is ok to continue, for now. Just need to exercise distancing when needed with common sense.

As most of us work outside alone we are at very low risk but still need to be cautious. To date I haven’t lost any clients/work but that could change at anytime.

Yep....spoke to soon. 1st cancellation received yesterday. $300 fortnightly service gone..! Client got laid off his job...

First time poster. Gday everyone

How is everyone going with losing work? I lost a re-seeding job today as the owner, quite rightly stating the kids will be home and it will be impossible to keep them off it. There goes a days work. I have also lost two other regulars where the people are now at home. I love this job but not sure how I will get through this ****ing winter.......................

Hope others are holding stronger.

Today it was stated that some services will be locked down for 6 months.

Been off the forum for ages, hi all you newbies and hope all you "old guys" I know are well. Now that I've finished everything to watch on Netflix (only kidding), thought I'd get back involved in our industry and the best bunch of fellas around.

Needless to say this virus is a full tilt shock to the system, everyday last week was like the beginning of a new era. I've lost roughly 20% of my business till further notice due to one big client putting a hold on all on site visits by contractors to reduce health risks and a couple of smaller clients due to the losses in $$ they're expecting in the next few months. Phone is ringing plenty for reactive residential work which isn't really my target market but least one door is opening while another is closing right?

My biggest issue right now is my staff member and I would love to know your thoughts:

I'm not sure whether or how long it's going to be safe to keep him, and minimize risk to me and my family. We're running two sets of tools out of separate tool boxes and doing our best to avoid cross contamination etc However he doesn't have a license so we're driving around in my single cab ute. We're keeping the the windows down but haven't had any rain days yet. We have a no contact policy with clients but the travel between jobs with my offsider is my greatest risk. Do you think working the way we're working is sustainable through this pandemic?

What precautions have you put in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Been off the forum for ages, hi all you newbies and hope all you "old guys" I know are well. Now that I've finished everything to watch on Netflix (only kidding), thought I'd get back involved in our industry and the best bunch of fellas around.

Needless to say this virus is a full tilt shock to the system, everyday last week was like the beginning of a new era. I've lost roughly 20% of my business till further notice due to one big client putting a hold on all on site visits by contractors to reduce health risks and a couple of smaller clients due to the losses in $$ they're expecting in the next few months. Phone is ringing plenty for reactive residential work which isn't really my target market but least one door is opening while another is closing right?

My biggest issue right now is my staff member and I would love to know your thoughts:

I'm not sure whether or how long it's going to be safe to keep him, and minimize risk to me and my family. We're running two sets of tools out of separate tool boxes and doing our best to avoid cross contamination etc However he doesn't have a license so we're driving around in my single cab ute. We're keeping the the windows down but haven't had any rain days yet. We have a no contact policy with clients but the travel between jobs with my offsider is my greatest risk. Do you think working the way we're working is sustainable through this pandemic?

What precautions have you put in place?
    If each of you were to wear something like this then both would be safe
    https://usa.banggood.com/Multifuncti...r_warehouse=CN

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilRioli View Post
    First time poster. Gday everyone

How is everyone going with losing work? I lost a re-seeding job today as the owner, quite rightly stating the kids will be home and it will be impossible to keep them off it. There goes a days work. I have also lost two other regulars where the people are now at home. I love this job but not sure how I will get through this ****ing winter.......................

Hope others are holding stronger.
    Welcome! You'll get through winter by doing whatever you have to do! Back yourself and so long as the government doesn't force us into lock down. And if they do we'll all be in the same boat until it opens back up and the outstanding growth will be a free for all!

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If each of you were to wear something like this then both would be safe
    https://usa.banggood.com/Multifuncti...r_warehouse=CN
    We've got those from when it was hella dusty.

Very Helpful Member

As i said to my wife the other day on the bright side if we are forced to close we should be entitled to the dole or other compensation and this will then be the first paid holiday I will have had in over 20 years
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Well for the time being we can work, so thats good whilst ensuring no/zero close contact.
    Gee if we stopped with recent rains and more later this week and ongoing further falls & growth. We would need to hedge lawns at ladder height, down to slash height and then side throw mow upon returning to work. Plus those Autumn Leaves still to come.
    When we do get told to cease work l'll self fund it out me thinks. Plenty of log fires in the shed may be coming. Great time to live in the country in this climate of events.
    But I have seen first hand people who are struggling very badly which was horrible to see last Friday. I drove around my immediate locality to refind the person I initially saw to assist him in a small way.

Hint; if you can get hold of the Clinically Proven Blackmores only licensed "Kaloba" for Acute Bronchitis and/or Acute Sinusitis treatment without being price gouged. it maybe a good thing to have. Google it by name or by Kaloba Corona Virus.
    Read directions of use first.
    Cheers Garry

These two screen shots were from last night taken within the same minute of time.
    4 of the planes over Aust or near FNQ that were flying over us were from/to NZealand meaning less actual traffic to or from Aust

Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    These two screen shots were from last night taken within the same minute of time.
    4 of the planes over Aust or near FNQ that were flying over us were from/to NZealand meaning less actual traffic to or from Aust

How do I get the attachments to open, it's been awhile since I was on here?

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast