Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

  1. #1
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,809

    Default Coronavirus + Business + You

    What do we know..
    One quarter of Australian population is expected to get it..6 million.
    How bad is it to influenza,20x worse
    Can be passed on as easily as handling cash with the virus attached.
    Cities and towns may go into lock down for 4 weeks
    Virus is expected to be most active during June,July,August

    Local Business..
    Many businesses will shut the doors and not re-open as there every day turnover slows
    Housing industry will take a hit as China supplied goods run out.
    Travel associated offices and flights come to a grinding halt

    Mowing business..
    Many will fold for a number of reasons,being infected,clients stopping the service temporarily,being told by authorities to stay home until it clears.

    Many more things can be said,whatís your thoughts

  2. #2
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,809

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Now we know why with the toilet paper
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

  3. #3
    Member Macka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Have always kept 6 months income in the business savings account just incase. We may still be allowed to work with a mask and not contact with clients, If not ill take my 4 weeks annuall leave and 30 sick days out and then spend a lazy month servicing mowers gear. knocking down 3 months growth has been done before it will just get easier after the first 50. If it goes 6 months i will have enough vegies in the back yard for a year.

  4. #4
    Senior Member NLALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    1,759

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    They are saying 1 million people will be out of work.

    I wonder how many of those will start mowing lawns for some cash

    This virus really could affect us

  5. #5
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,809

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    They are saying 1 million people will be out of work.

    I wonder how many of those will start mowing lawns for some cash

    This virus really could affect us
    That will be easy for them,they just need to do a google search on lawn mowing forums.They can read how to get started,which equipment to use and how to advertise and what to charge.Eezy peezy.
    The only thing they are missing is seeing existing profit and loss statements which current members left out,but that can easily be solved by uploading those.
    Don't really think they'd need much more.
    Currently seeing 1000 users online,maybe they have already started

  6. #6
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    What do we know..
    One quarter of Australian population is expected to get it..6 million.
    How bad is it to influenza,20x worse
    Can be passed on as easily as handling cash with the virus attached.
    Cities and towns may go into lock down for 4 weeks
    Virus is expected to be most active during June,July,August

    Local Business..
    Many businesses will shut the doors and not re-open as there every day turnover slows
    Housing industry will take a hit as China supplied goods run out.
    Travel associated offices and flights come to a grinding halt

    Mowing business..
    Many will fold for a number of reasons,being infected,clients stopping the service temporarily,being told by authorities to stay home until it clears.



    Many more things can be said,whatís your thoughts
    I'm a bit of a doomsayer on this but I hope I am wrong. There is a lot of empahasis on money, work, economy and rightly so but the elderly are at big risk and when the hospitals fill up there won't be enough beds, respirators etc. The flow on from already stretched hospitals will impact everyone including the young and healthy who need hospital treatment, the cancer patients, the heart attack victims, the stroke victims everyone because they will be going to a high risk environment where it could kill them. Plus we will have the normal flu ripping through as it it comes in to winter. Doctors and nurses will be under severe pressure with limited resources. Elderly customers are going to struggle to get cash out without getting a lift from someone and exposing themselves to risk.

    I now carry soap in the ute, and wash my hands much more often than usual. We are lucky because usually there is a tap around. I try to keep 6 feet away from people, hard to do but all it needs is for someone to sneeze and you could end up 6 feet under. This aint just killing old people. Todays figure from france is that 7% mortality under 65. I don't even breathe when I walk in to a shop, not until I'm in there and had a bit of a look see. If there are too many people or someone showing cold symptons hold your breath and get out of there. The worst part of this. A spreader can have no symptons. So keep your distance from everyone.

    Bit paranoid but if we can all have a laugh about it down the track that would be awesome. A good way to keep up with the scientific side of things are the Norman Swan ABC podcasts. Good luck everyone.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I'm a bit of a doomsayer on this but I hope I am wrong. There is a lot of empahasis on money, work, economy and rightly so but the elderly are at big risk and when the hospitals fill up there won't be enough beds, respirators etc. The flow on from already stretched hospitals will impact everyone including the young and healthy who need hospital treatment, the cancer patients, the heart attack victims, the stroke victims everyone because they will be going to a high risk environment where it could kill them. Plus we will have the normal flu ripping through as it it comes in to winter. Doctors and nurses will be under severe pressure with limited resources. Elderly customers are going to struggle to get cash out without getting a lift from someone and exposing themselves to risk.

    I now carry soap in the ute, and wash my hands much more often than usual. We are lucky because usually there is a tap around. I try to keep 6 feet away from people, hard to do but all it needs is for someone to sneeze and you could end up 6 feet under. This aint just killing old people. Todays figure from france is that 7% mortality under 65. I don't even breathe when I walk in to a shop, not until I'm in there and had a bit of a look see. If there are too many people or someone showing cold symptons hold your breath and get out of there. The worst part of this. A spreader can have no symptons. So keep your distance from everyone.

    Bit paranoid but if we can all have a laugh about it down the track that would be awesome. A good way to keep up with the scientific side of things are the Norman Swan ABC podcasts. Good luck everyone.
    Its just being sensible. Everything is slowly grinding to a halt so you need you look after yourself so you can look after the people close to you also.
    I am the same, wash my hands more, have loads of nitrile gloves, antibacterial sprays, some wet ones wipes, p2 masks etc in the car for me and anyone working with me.
    Hopefully pick up some hand sanitiser from one of my manufacturing clients in that industry!!
    Have spoken to staff and put in place some control measures and awareness of what to do when not working with us also
    Can only try to do the right thing and hopefully get lucky.
    https://www.southeastmowing.com.au/careers/
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's Time!!!
    https://buyaussienow.com.au, https://buy-australia.com.au, https://australianmade.com.au, https://buyaustralianmade.com.au,
    https://madeinaustralia.com.au, https://aumanufacturing.com.au, https://austrade.gov.au

  8. #8
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,899

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    I agree with social distancing but as I only have 5000 rolls of toilet paper I have to go and stand with the other 300 people and queue for an hour so I can get another 10 rolls
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  9. #9
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,899

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Lost 2 clients today one has a pensioner son who worked part time and has lost his job and is going to go back to doing them and another whose husband is a pilot and expects to be unemployed any day now
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  10. #10
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    I work for an elderly mini complex maintaining couple of there individual gardens bi monthly which they take immense pride from.
    Whilst being outside and I would not enter their Chalets for a chat now, I've now cancelled a job for this week and wont be doing month of May booked ones also.
    Not comfortable being there for their sake and gov rules tightening, but they said they will get another gardener in.
    Lost a Gym complex with an outdoor area of maintenance due to them reducing there outlet site numbers to survive whats coming.

    1000 online watching the site at the moment too --Update over 1600 watching now


    Edit, Hasn't Superfunds been smashed, I shed a few tears and tremble every time I log in to it or monitor ASX200.
    Think I'll change the name of my business to "Walking Stick Mowing Services" as I'll be mowing till I'm 90 now with a battery powered 216 in one hand and a walking stick in the other. lol
    Cheers Garry

  11. #11
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,899

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    No need for the walking stick just put the 216 in 1st gear and it's like a powered zimmer frame and stop looking at your super or shares that just leads to depression even though if you have some cash it may be a good time to think about buying
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  12. #12
    Senior Member NLALM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    1,759

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Maybe we should start a thread telling when we lose a job over the virus , I lost a good commercial last Friday ,

  13. #13
    Senior Member imoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern highlands NSW
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Thereís been allot of talk and worry about lockdown on businesses .
    Iím located in a semi rural area not close to sydney any major cities.
    The Govt are going to tell all non essential business to close down.
    Iím under the belief we are not considered a danger in regards to the virus as we donít deal person to person.
    Is anyone closing down because of this?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

  14. #14
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    My understanding is we can't work and the final day is tomorrow and grass is going just Bonkers at the moment. I'm in a rural city along the Murray.

    I own my house and 20/21 rates are already paid and don't get a power bill, so I'll survive $ wise - but many won't and the stress/anxiety that will cause.
    Live on the outer edge of town semi rural to rural, couldn't imagine being in an apartment building.

    Living on the Vic/NSW Border may incur a checkpoint for every crossing as SA are manning all 12 border crossing points.???????
    Cheers Garry

  15. #15
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I agree with social distancing but as I only have 5000 rolls of toilet paper I have to go and stand with the other 300 people and queue for an hour so I can get another 10 rolls
    That is a big problem alright. Like trying to herd sheep. One gets spooked and you have lost them.

Page 1 of 39 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •