Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    After sales not gettig affected at all by the virus, the last few weeks has seen the effect, the changes to the job keeper has been the tipping point, lost quite a few customers, a couple of businesses that are doing it themselves to keep the work force employed and few residentuials that just havent got the money or have a family member not working.
    Time to scurry and pick up the new ones you can't usually get to when you're busy, remember what they say when one door closes another opens.

Very Helpful Member

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed but I would say most of my clients who used to pay in cash now want to pay buy direct debit as they have got used to not using cash as they have hardly been able to go to the shops to either get it or spend it,so on a plus side we may pick up a bit from the cash cowboys as they don't want to accept anything but cash
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed but I would say most of my clients who used to pay in cash now want to pay buy direct debit as they have got used to not using cash as they have hardly been able to go to the shops to either get it or spend it,so on a plus side we may pick up a bit from the cash cowboys as they don't want to accept anything but cash
    Yep, a few of mine have for the reasons you mention. Having said that, about 95% of my clients are all invoiced. I would probably only have a handful of cash if that which works for me as I prefer direct debit.

I think not too far away the day will come for all to be non paying cash which will filter out the cash cowboys.

No difference at all here, I made the change years ago, cash clients want to chat and that's not only bad for time management but also very unsafe during covid! Hope they get onto direct deposit soon for everyone, cash is so dirty!

Still have two commercial properties and two residential that post me a cheque, can't wait till cheques become a thing of the past especially as there is less and less branches and teller machines to deposit them. After next month with yet another branch closer in my area and another teller machine going away my two closest options for banking a cheque will be to go into shopping centres.

Imagine if cash didn't exist... crime reduction, fraud reduction, transfer of germs reduction etc etc (as you can tell I'm all for it being a thing of the past.)

Very Helpful Member

I gave up on cheques a few years ago when it got to the stage of driving to the bank to deposit 1 or 2 cheques a month now it's cash or direct deposit one client the last one to pay by cheque before I told her I was no longer accepting them lives a few streets away she goes to the bank to get them to do a direct deposit into my account as apparently she doesn't know how to do it funnily enough on my account it says cash deposit for direct debit,the bank would be more than 5k's away and I live about 1/2 a k from her place and have told her she can leave it in my letter box if she wants
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    No difference at all here, I made the change years ago, cash clients want to chat and that's not only bad for time management but also very unsafe during covid! Hope they get onto direct deposit soon for everyone, cash is so dirty!

Still have two commercial properties and two residential that post me a cheque, can't wait till cheques become a thing of the past especially as there is less and less branches and teller machines to deposit them. After next month with yet another branch closer in my area and another teller machine going away my two closest options for banking a cheque will be to go into shopping centres.

Imagine if cash didn't exist... crime reduction, fraud reduction, transfer of germs reduction etc etc (as you can tell I'm all for it being a thing of the past.)
    Then you will get heaps on phishing emails and texts from our Nigerian and Russian friends overseas who dig deep into your pockets (account) for a living

I gave up on cheques a few years ago when it got to the stage of driving to the bank to deposit 1 or 2 cheques a month now it's cash or direct deposit one client the last one to pay by cheque before I told her I was no longer accepting them lives a few streets away she goes to the bank to get them to do a direct deposit into my account as apparently she doesn't know how to do it funnily enough on my account it says cash deposit for direct debit,the bank would be more than 5k's away and I live about 1/2 a k from her place and have told her she can leave it in my letter box if she wants
    So did I but Workcover sent me a cheque for money I overpaid. Something like $90 a year ago. Better find out where it is and deposit it now we are almost free

Not sure if you guys realise, Australia Post has deposit facilities for 70 or so financial institutions.
    I have a couple of oldies who cant handle EFT but haven't been near my bank for at least 10 years
    AusPost LPO takes me 5 minutes max to deposit cheques and catch up on the local gossip.

Apologies for the crappy copy and paste.

Which banks and financial institutions offer Bank@Post?

Does your bank, credit union or building society offer Bank@Post services? Check out the list of participating institutions below.
    Participating banks

AMP Bank
    ANZ
    Australian Military Bank
    Auswide Bank
    Bank of Queensland
    Bank of Sydney
    Bank MECU
    Bankwest
    Bendigo Bank
    Beyond Bank
    Citibank
    Commonwealth Bank of Australia
    Defence Bank
    G&C Mutual Bank
    Heritage Bank
    HSBC Bank Australia
    ING
    ME Bank
    MyState Bank Limited
    National Australia Bank
    P&N Bank
    Police Bank
    Qudos Bank
    QT Mutual Bank
    Rabobank
    Regional Australia Bank
    Rural Bank
    St.George Bank
    Suncorp Bank
    Teachers Mutual Bank
    UniBank
    Bank First
    Westpac

Participating credit unions

AWA Credit Union
    Bananacoast Credit Union (bcu)
    Bankstown City Credit Union
    Circle Credit Co-operative
    Community Alliance Credit Union
    Community First Credit Union
    Credit Union Australia
    Credit Union SA
    Dnister Ukrainian Credit Union
    ECU Australia
    Endeavor Mutual Bank
    Family First Credit Union
    FCCS Credit Union
    Fire Service Credit Union
    FirstOption Credit Union
    Gateway Union Australia
    Holiday Coast Credit Union
    Macquarie Credit Union
    My Credit Union
    Northern Inland Credit Union (NICU)
    People's Choice Credit Union
    Police Credit Union (SA)
    Qudos Mutual Ltd
    Queensland Country Credit Union
    Queensland Professional Credit Union
    Railways Credit Union
    Select Credit Union
    SERVICEONE Members Banking
    Summerland Credit Union
    Sydney Credit Union
    Transport Mutual Credit Union
    Unity Bank

If you are with Westpac you can deposit cheques via the app from home, it takes photo's of both sides of the cheque, and whamo it appears in your account a few days later. I havent had to go near a bank for a couple of years now.

Very Helpful Member

last time I had to deposit a cheque was a refund on trailer rego from Vic roads which I thought was great because Vic roads was closed due to covid but here's a cheque you'll have to deposit in the bank because as a government department we can't do direct deposit P.S. I believe the Commonwealth has the same deposit cheques by phone but I didn't know about it until I went into the bank and they told me after I had tried going into the ANZ where I used to deposit cheques and it was closed

Don’t do cheques. Never have and never will. Not interested..!

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Don’t do cheques. Never have and never will. Not interested..!
    Interesting that some are not taking cheques, what if someone says I can only pay with cheque, are you going to walk away and say no to their business. I certainly wouldnt.

I have one client, a community organisation who under their constitution can only pay by cheque (dual signature), but they are worth over $7000 a year to me, would you walk away from that. Even if I had to go to the bank it would be worth it. Before Westpac had the app to do it from home, I just built up cheques and made one visit every month or 2.

I get what ya saying but I would think those community organisations are pretty rare so for $7k a year ($135 p/w) I would maybe consider slightly.

Not wanting to sound arrogant and each to their own but I’ve made the call that suits me and yes I have walked away from those that have asked. In 6 years in this business, I reckon I’ve had no more than 3 that have asked and all 3 paid either cash, invoice, or credit card when told no cheques.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    I get what ya saying but I would think those community organisations are pretty rare so for $7k a year ($135 p/w) I would maybe consider slightly.

Not wanting to sound arrogant and each to their own but I’ve made the call that suits me and yes I have walked away from those that have asked. In 6 years in this business, I reckon I’ve had no more than 3 that have asked and all 3 paid either cash, invoice, or credit card when told no cheques.
    And that's what running your own business is about!! Listen to what others have to say without being lectured to and still make a decision that suits you

Very Helpful Member

Today metro Melbourne 4 Jims mowing guys on separate occasions 2 working together 2 others working on their own not a mask to be seen

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast