Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    there are also people who are not taking on extra work, as someone I was talking to said why take on extra garden work at this time of the year like he's done since starting when if he earns an extra $200 this month he won't qualify for the 30% drop in business and will lose $3000 in benefits
    I don't think it works like that Ian. Once you qualify, you are good until Sept. Say you had a bad April and recovered in June/July you can still claim up until Sept. If your downturn in cashflow isn't even due to Covid19, you can still claim.
    I'll try to find the ATO page that answers it tonight. It's in a FAQ re Jobkeeper i think.

After Sept this will all change though.

As Ian said...
    "I always suggest if possible to start part time and have some understanding of how hard it can be and at least some income before jumping in full time"

I had a very successful lawn round and decided to go into landscaping,i was doing both then finally went into landscaping full time and sold the lawn round.By the end of the first year i had the truck bobcat and 4 employees,then a few years on the economy was slowing and so did the work.Ended up selling everything and went back into lawns while still making a income with various contracting jobs not lawn related.This time i wanted to build a round myself and it took 4 years for it to start looking like there was some worthwhile money being made,one mistake was not choosing the better paying suburbs but once i spread out farther income improved.Biggest problem being independent is travel time,time lost when you should be cutting more lawns but like every one who gets these bright ideas in life goes through a learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I don't think it works like that Ian. Once you qualify, you are good until Sept. Say you had a bad April and recovered in June/July you can still claim up until Sept. If your downturn in cashflow isn't even due to Covid19, you can still claim.
    I'll try to find the ATO page that answers it tonight. It's in a FAQ re Jobkeeper i think.

After Sept this will all change though.
    yep your spot on if april 30 percent down you can earn what ever comes in till sept and get the 3k per month per employee or as a sole trader or one for partnership..after sept you have to have a 30% down turn on each quarter to go on from there...its been good for some though it does give the incentive to sit back end just do the basics you still receive the handout....like the dole i can't understand why they get double more or less so why would you try to get a job....

Quote Originally Posted by 33293 View Post
    Hi everyone - I'm a very new member looking to start up a business. I've been looking into this for about 6 months, taking my time to get set up properly and understand the business before leaping in.

I'm based in Victoria and am thinking that there is significant potential for both increased supply (eg people being out of work and therefore moving into the industry) and reduced demand (eg people mowing their lawns themselves due to being at home more, reduced income, etc).

So what do you think? Is now a particularly bad time to be setting up shop?
    I'd work out how much you want to make first. Then figure out if you can achieve it after taking out expenses (including tax) without breaking your body and stressing yourself to death. If you have a current job compare the super and leave side of things. Everyone is different but you can gaurantee the customers won't care too much if your ute breaks down and you need to either wait a week to get it fixed or suddenly have to buy a new one. There is never a good time for something to go wrong so you have to try and factor it in if you can. Don't forget to include the time it takes to do the invoicing and keeping track of who has paid what. Also fuel is likely to impact our costs without being able to pass it on so factor in higher fuel costs too. Not trying to put you off, just being realistic. If you can comfortably make what you want it won't matter what other people are doing around you. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. It’s been really helpful.

I think I’ll use these next few less certain months to set up properly and do as much research as I can.

Looks like we're waiting for the word regarding our fate for the next six weeks here in Vic...

33293, sorry if it happens you'll be practicing on your own lawn for awhile longer.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Looks like we're waiting for the word regarding our fate for the next six weeks here in Vic...

33293, sorry if it happens you'll be practicing on your own lawn for awhile longer.
    Announced today midnight Wednesday 05-08-2020 it's no working at all for gardeners in the Melbourne metro area
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

It appears according to our State Government you are more likely to get the virus from the guy on his own outside mowing your lawn than you are from the 5 staff and 50+ customers in a Dan Murphy's or BWS
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

It appears according to our State Government you are more likely to get the virus from the guy on his own outside mowing your lawn than you are from the 5 staff and 50+ customers in a Dan Murphy's or BWS
    People have got to stop licking their bins and gates!

It's funny thought we were going to be alright when they said 5 tradies can be on site at a house, then he goes and says "mowers won't be coming to mow your lawn".

5weeks is the longest holiday I've ever had since school!

Very Helpful Member

Also worth remembering is if you didn't qualify for the Government money with the shutdown you should now be able to get at least $1500 per fortnight for the next 6 weeks if not longer

https://media.news.com.au/multimedia...strictions.pdf

Look at the bottom for the guys doing contract parks and gardens for councils public spaces etc, you guys might still be able to do some work.

Like those funny memes awhile back saying "so we all agree bottleshops are essential and schools are not..."

My understanding of the new restrictions here in Victoria is that we all park our trailers on Wednesday night, and forget it for 6 weeks.

for essential commercial, you still be able todo gardening works, but not residentials works.

Building and grounds maintenance, cleaning, pest control and packaging
    services are permitted to operate where providing support to an essential
    industry or where required to maintain the health and safety of Victorians at
    home or at work.

Smile Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    for essential commercial, you still be able todo gardening works, but not residentials works.

Building and grounds maintenance, cleaning, pest control and packaging
    services are permitted to operate where providing support to an essential
    industry or where required to maintain the health and safety of Victorians at
    home or at work.
    Please explain!!!

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast