Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Coronavirus + Business + You

Default Re: Coronavirus + Business + You

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    so if stage 4 continues past sept 13 ( rumours hopefully untrue suggesting another few weeks ) what are you going to do..I think i will fill out the form for every job i have and call it essential work as the grass will be so long that it will be a hazard..In 4 weeks time I am ready to go and probably will
    From Elders Weather Forecast
    Over southern and eastern Australia the cold front events with potential to bring widespread rain are now expected about 8 September to 12 September, 12 September to 16 September, and 17 September to 21 September. Rain events originating in the tropics and moving south are possible about 6 September to 10 September, and 14 September to 18 September.

Could be interesting times when everyone in Victoria gets back to work! WET and saturated soil before we start on 14/8. WET while we are out trying to get 2 months growth under control from 14/8. WET when the sun & warmth usually starts to come from mid September when we think we have just started to make an impact!

Can anyone in Melbourne recall when the last really wet Spring period went off so that we were run off out feet watching the grass grow before our own eyes ? I don't know if my fragile memory can recall that far back

I think all the stars could be about to align!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    Just a little warning to those getting Job Keeper, It is taxable, so effectively you will most likely be giving a third of it back to ScoMo, so don't spend it all at once.
    True but remember we have 6 weeks of no pay and 30% plus turnover revenue so in our situation will not be biggie.. besides I would rather that coming in during lock down than use the money tins in the back yard lol

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    From Elders Weather Forecast
    Over southern and eastern Australia the cold front events with potential to bring widespread rain are now expected about 8 September to 12 September, 12 September to 16 September, and 17 September to 21 September. Rain events originating in the tropics and moving south are possible about 6 September to 10 September, and 14 September to 18 September.

Could be interesting times when everyone in Victoria gets back to work! WET and saturated soil before we start on 14/8. WET while we are out trying to get 2 months growth under control from 14/8. WET when the sun & warmth usually starts to come from mid September when we think we have just started to make an impact!

Can anyone in Melbourne recall when the last really wet Spring period went off so that we were run off out feet watching the grass grow before our own eyes ? I don't know if my fragile memory can recall that far back

I think all the stars could be about to align!!!!
    Yes will be interesting especially for
    Ya old buggar lol I do remember ( can’t define the year without looking at records) in my first years of business early nighties we had so much rain it was difficult to put a mower on the lawn . Staring out feeding a young family it was hard yards and you need to earn a dollar regardless . So for the new players will be tough but keep at it and all will be fine .

Question : when we do go back after lock down ,would you consider a "one off " fee for the extra required due to the long grass/hedges/gardens etc.Ive had some customers that have contacted me saying they would to give me extra for the first cut/garden visit back from stage 4 .So if we do decide to charge the additional fee would you treat it like a new job or as a percentage over the existing price. With CPI being negative a price rise would be real smart at this time though the power utilities ,petrol machines/parts dont seem to mind raising.
    I am not sure what to do at the moment and probably read the mood of the day when we return.Presently with so much rain a lot of my properties would be out of bounds so in the past I Haven't charged extra .

Screen dump from the Govt Business website this morning regarding commercial properties. Ie maintenance
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

I think we will find that if stage 4 continues after the 13th, Dopey Dan will be under pressure to at least relax some, not all, but some.

I think our industry will be 1 to relax given the noise Jim has made, and with good reason, lawns & gardens will start to become a health and safety issue with the growth spurt from the past 6 weeks, spring growth will kick in and people will be screaming to get stuff done.

Whilst I don’t think we will be back to stage 3 as of the 14th, I don’t believe DD can afford the current stage 4 to keep going. The state of Victoria will collapse at this rate. So I’m tipping a kind alike stage 3.5..

That’s my 2 cents worth.

so if stage 4 continues past sept 13 ( rumours hopefully untrue suggesting another few weeks ) what are you going to do..I think i will fill out the form for every job i have and call it essential work as the grass will be so long that it will be a hazard..In 4 weeks time I am ready to go and probably will

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    I think we will find that if stage 4 continues after the 13th, Dopey Dan will be under pressure to at least relax some, not all, but some.

I think our industry will be 1 to relax given the noise Jim has made, and with good reason, lawns & gardens will start to become a health and safety issue with the growth spurt from the past 6 weeks, spring growth will kick in and people will be screaming to get stuff done.

Whilst I don’t think we will be back to stage 3 as of the 14th, I don’t believe DD can afford the current stage 4 to keep going. The state of Victoria will collapse at this rate. So I’m tipping a kind alike stage 3.5..

That’s my 2 cents worth.
    I just don't think you understand the fact that you are more likely to get the virus from the guy on his own in your backyard that you will have no physical contact with than you are the 50 customers and 10 staff members at Dan Murphys and lets also face the fact it's more important that people get their booze than get their lawn mown and it's not like you can get the booze delivered
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Also, the only reason booze shops are open is because the tax income alcohol generates for the govt

Question : when we do go back after lock down ,would you consider a "one off " fee for the extra required due to the long grass/hedges/gardens etc.Ive had some customers that have contacted me saying they would to give me extra for the first cut/garden visit back from stage 4 .So if we do decide to charge the additional fee would you treat it like a new job or as a percentage over the existing price. With CPI being negative a price rise would be real smart at this time though the power utilities ,petrol machines/parts dont seem to mind raising.
    I am not sure what to do at the moment and probably read the mood of the day when we return.Presently with so much rain a lot of my properties would be out of bounds so in the past I Haven't charged extra .
    I will have some commercial sites that will not have been serviced for 10-11 weeks. A few will only be 6 weeks. All schools except one will receive basic services so will not be out of control but they probably wont go back until after the next school holidays anyway.
    In scheduling I have allowed for a double service for each client. If not needed that's ok too and will be invoiced for actual time. This will allow us to make sure everything that is needed is done so when we return in 2 weeks with heavy growth we can do the usual maintenance. The last thing I need is to get back to these jobs 2 weeks later with heavy growth and have to do a lot of extra weeding/spraying/trimming/double cutting lawns.
    We will get it done properly on the 1st week even though some clients may not be happy they are not at the top of the list. I have called in an extra casual and we will get 95% of our businesses done on 1st week.(weather permitting) Schools and scheduled clean up work we normally do through holidays on the second week. It's at least 6 days, long hours and has some scheduling challenges but all my clients have been emailed informing of such. This should help get us back to (covid) normal spring. Saying that the end of September this year I think will go off with a bang. There may be many clients looking for new contractors because theirs has not caught up with workloads.

I think the other fella in Canberra (can't remember his name) but the one who went on holidays when Australia was on fire. Think he may wanna have some input into it and encourage DD. Maybe at the local Dan Murphy outlet.

That’s my 2 cents worth.

Regular customers are more important than any the extra charges, dont charge extra... not charging them extra will mean they will be happy to wait till you catch up which will take awhile. They will appreciate your kind gesture and stick with you. Charging more could be seen as a money grab and piss week thing to do. you would not be the contractor to recommend. "Regular Customer are the business and always put the business first".

I have been doing many lawns for free for any regulars that has lost there jobs, its not about quick money its about coming out of this with good customers and a feeling that you have help were you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    What do we know..
    One quarter of Australian population is expected to get it..6 million.
    How bad is it to influenza,20x worse
    Can be passed on as easily as handling cash with the virus attached.
    Cities and towns may go into lock down for 4 weeks
    Virus is expected to be most active during June,July,August

Local Business..
    Many businesses will shut the doors and not re-open as there every day turnover slows
    Housing industry will take a hit as China supplied goods run out.
    Travel associated offices and flights come to a grinding halt

Mowing business..
    Many will fold for a number of reasons,being infected,clients stopping the service temporarily,being told by authorities to stay home until it clears.

Many more things can be said,what’s your thoughts
    Thought I’d repost the 1st post of this discussion from Beetlejuice back in March which is pretty much what’s happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Regular customers are more important than any the extra charges, dont charge extra... not charging them extra will mean they will be happy to wait till you catch up which will take awhile. They will appreciate your kind gesture and stick with you. Charging more could be seen as a money grab and piss week thing to do. you would not be the contractor to recommend. "Regular Customer are the business and always put the business first".

I have been doing many lawns for free for any regulars that has lost there jobs, its not about quick money its about coming out of this with good customers and a feeling that you have help were you can.
    Totally agree with looking after the regulars

Someone called me today todo the lawn mowing at her house today or tomorrow and how much I charge?
    I told her $100K + $mowing rate.

Unbelievable did some people watch or read the news?

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast