Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda VersAttach System

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Honda VersAttach System

Quote Originally Posted by 33293 View Post
    Thanks very much for the offer! I'll take you up if you don't mind?

I'm actually finding it a bit difficult to come across a good quality second hand trimmer or blower - but I'll keep looking.

If I need to buy new, I am looking at either :

STIHL FS 70
    or
    HUSQVARNA 322L

That's around $500 to get started. Better off just paying a bit more and getting the Husqvarna 525?

In terms of a blower, if this is not terrible, I was thinking to start with it:

ECHO PB-250
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/echo-25-...lower_p0197731

I'm trying to keep costs low as I build things up, but still get decent quality that will do the job without making me want to quit after the first week

Advice appreciated!
    Personally I would go the extra and get the 525LST as starting out you'll probably get a few ferals and overgrown and the 525 will be better for these

Also when you can have a look in store at Bunnings and check both the shelve and the storage areas above as they had the PB2520 on clearance at both Vermont sth and Scoresby for around the $200 mark one of the stores had none on the shelf but had two above note as they are clearance they aren't on line
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Personally I would go the extra and get the 525LST as starting out you'll probably get a few ferals and overgrown and the 525 will be better for these

Also when you can have a look in store at Bunnings and check both the shelve and the storage areas above as they had the PB2520 on clearance at both Vermont sth and Scoresby for around the $200 mark one of the stores had none on the shelf but had two above note as they are clearance they aren't on line
    His starting out dollars are important so that’s why the Bunnings echo is good value I’ve also the hussy and the echoe goes toe to toe in my opion , I’ve used the echo sold for 12 months and it’s great value ... but that’s just my say ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    You’ll be fine with the Echo blower PB -250. Also, Bunnings have the Echo trimmer at $389 straight shaft. Not the 525 but good enough as a start up and very light. I used an entry level line trimmer when I started and it’s still running after 6 years but only used as a spare now.

Full warranty on both and will serve you well. Once you get going and grow ur run then upgrade. Bunnings also have Valvoline 2 stroke oil in a 1 litre that has the measurements on the bottle so easy to mix using the 100 ml level to 5L of fuel. Once you run out buy the 4L and fill the small bottle. That way you’ll always have 2s on hand.

Speed feed you’ll have to get a mower store. Actual line I suggest 2kg roll. Will last you awhile. As far as size, well.....u will get an enormous amount of opinions. Lol. 2.4mm thickness or 2.7mm. Wouldn’t go any bigger on a small engine 2s as it puts too much load on the gearbox.

I use 2.7mm round Trailblazer... can’t beat it IMOP but I’m sure I’ve opened a can of worms.
    Thank you - I can't see it on their website so I might head in today and see what they have in store.

Great tips! and really appreciating the advice from you very experienced and knowledgeable people!

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post

Cheers Ian - it was your earlier comment that sent me to look at that Echo blower, so thanks again. So the PB-250 is different to the PB2520?

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    I got a couple of echoe from Bunnings the whopper and blower as back up of back up mate I use them all the time , the trimmer so light so well balanced and vibration free for low 300 on PowerPass they are a good machine made in Japan superior Waldro carby they are something an old timer of 35 years in game is using , I got shindawas and sit on the bottom rack lol .... the blower also is ok also made in Japan ....make sure you get the speed head ... I use the small one brilliant
    That's a pretty big endorsement - thanks Geoff. I'll see what they have at our local and might need to get it ordered in as I can't see it on the website.

That's a pretty big endorsement - thanks Geoff. I'll see what they have at our local and might need to get it ordered in as I can't see it on the website.
    Yep..not much of Echo product on their website and don’t know why but defiantly in stock. Saw them the other day. I bought the 2520 for $199 at Scoresby about 2 months ago. My local Bunnings had them at $303.20 and they would not match the price so had to go to Scoresby. Reason being is they’re clearing them out and it’s store by store case.

Having said that, they are still around and even at $303 it s a great buy for the extra $50 on the 250 but when you go in, hassle them for a better price given the the current state. Give them heaps but politely of course.

Thanks very much for the offer! I'll take you up if you don't mind?

I'm actually finding it a bit difficult to come across a good quality second hand trimmer or blower - but I'll keep looking.

If I need to buy new, I am looking at either :

STIHL FS 70
    or
    HUSQVARNA 322

That's around $500 to get started. Better off just paying a bit more and getting the Husqvarna 525?

In terLms of a blower, if this is not terrible, I was thinking to start with it:

ECHO PB-250
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/echo-25-...lower_p0197731

I'm trying to keep costs low as I build things up, but still get decent quality that will do the job without making me want to quit after the first week

Advice appreciated!
    The Stihl FS70 are good and not heavy and will do the heavy thick grass,they were called FS56.
    HUSQVARNA 322 being a smaller engine does produce some good power for regular lawns and not too badly overgrown,i'm using mine through the drier months.

Echo PB250 blower doesn't have a good reputation as iv'e heard over time you would be better of with the Stihl BG56 or my favorite Husqvarna 125B Produces heaps of blowing power.
    Stihl FS70 (27cc) and Husqvarna 125B you are ready to work and none are overly expensive and are reliable.
    Just to give you an idea of my set up i currently have 5 line trimmers and 3 blowers which have different powered motors and they get swapped out during different seasons growth plus 3 mowers get rotated though out the year

Just remembered as i was looking to suggest Makita in trimmers and blowers being reliable,but couldn't find the 2st blower which reminded me that some 2st equipment is no longer being imported to Australia due to pollution laws.Just something to consider of what's to come.
    https://www.theland.com.au/story/499...ut-a-new-path/

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    The Stihl FS70 are good and not heavy and will do the heavy thick grass,they were called FS56.
    HUSQVARNA 322 being a smaller engine does produce some good power for regular lawns and not too badly overgrown,i'm using mine through the drier months.

Echo PB250 blower doesn't have a good reputation as iv'e heard over time you would be better of with the Stihl BG56 or my favorite Husqvarna 125B Produces heaps of blowing power.
    Stihl FS70 (27cc) and Husqvarna 125B you are ready to work and none are overly expensive and are reliable.
    Just to give you an idea of my set up i currently have 5 line trimmers and 3 blowers which have different powered motors and they get swapped out during different seasons growth plus 3 mowers get rotated though out the year

That's great - thank you. Looks like Husq have a sale on at the moment, so the 125B is only $279. Also makes the 522 Huq line trimmer slightly more affordable at under $500 too.

That's great - thank you. Looks like Husq have a sale on at the moment, so the 125B is only $279. Also makes the 522 Huq line trimmer slightly more affordable at under $500 too.
    Some of us here are using the 322L for professional use,don't really know what one would get extra from the 522L both having the same powered motor.

Quote Originally Posted by jd View Post
    Make sure you attach a strap to your whippy. Makes it a lot easier. Also get a speed feed attachment. Makes it a lot easier re loading your line. Especially it hot weather.
    And all the best with your career change. Haven't met anyone who's regretted it.
    thanks for the tip - I'll definitely get a strap.

Speed feed - just watched a youtube clip on those and yes - that looks very helpful.

Thanks for the well wishes "haven't met anyone who's regretted it" fills me with a lot of confidence - thank you
    Can't do the strap myself, they go in the bin, I do keep the guards though just incase you have to put them on for a specific job. Oh sorry bad habit we're not meant to take the guards off to save our backs some extra weight and make them safer to use are we...

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions, it was very helpful in reaching a decision.

I learnt that as things ramp up, I will need a few different tools, so no need to stress getting it perfect first go.

I checked out all of the suggestions (unfortunately our local Bunnings stores - 3 of them - don't have the Echo 2520) and bit the bullet today and went with Stihl:

FS70 Brushcutter
    BG86 Blower

I still need to work out what to do about a hedger but figured I don't need to put all eggs in the one basket as I'll always need a spare whippy anyway (plus the blowers on those multi tools don't look super practical).

In terms of $s, I managed to come in on budget and get both for $760 ($410 for the trimmer and $350 for the blower - Retail is $830).

Spent a little more on the blower than I was planning and [I]may[I] have been sucked in by the anti-vibration feature of the BG86 instead of going for the BG56 or the Husq 125B...

Anyway, I think that's pretty good to get started... The trimmer in particular seems goldilocks as I don't think I have the skills for anything more powerful just yet

Again - thanks for the advice - it was all very helpful.

1 litre that has the measurements on the bottle so easy to mix using the 100 ml level to 5L of fuel
    Also grabbed one of these - definitely convenient - thanks for the tip.

2.4mm thickness or 2.7mm. Wouldn’t go any bigger on a small engine 2s as it puts too much load on the gearbox.

I use 2.7mm round Trailblazer... can’t beat it IMOP but I’m sure I’ve opened a can of worms.
    Speaking of cans of worms....I think I might have been talked into this stuff and bought a small roll (43 meters) to give it a go:
    https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...ylon-Line.aspx

Looking at the numbers now...

2.7mm round Trailblazer - 0.34cents per meter
    2.4mm CF3 Pro - 0.60cents per meter

at nearly double the price it would want to be good!

Cheers.

Edit - typos

Also grabbed one of these - definitely convenient - thanks for the tip.

Speaking of cans of worms....I think I might have been talked into this stuff and bought a small roll (43 meters) to give it a go:
    https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...ylon-Line.aspx

Looking at the numbers now...

2.7mm round Trailblazer - 0.34cents per meter
    2.4mm CF3 Pro - 0.60cents per meter

at nearly double the price it would want to be good!

Cheers.

Edit - typos
    Sounds like your getting there now, should be a good spring. Hope you're buying the big 5pound rolls before xmas. Everyone has their preference, I prefer orange as I find it easier to see.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions, it was very helpful in reaching a decision.

I learnt that as things ramp up, I will need a few different tools, so no need to stress getting it perfect first go.

I checked out all of the suggestions (unfortunately our local Bunnings stores - 3 of them - don't have the Echo 2520) and bit the bullet today and went with Stihl:

FS70 Brushcutter
    BG86 Blower

I still need to work out what to do about a hedger but figured I don't need to put all eggs in the one basket as I'll always need a spare whippy anyway (plus the blowers on those multi tools don't look super practical).

In terms of $s, I managed to come in on budget and get both for $760 ($410 for the trimmer and $350 for the blower - Retail is $830).

Spent a little more on the blower than I was planning and [I]may[I] have been sucked in by the anti-vibration feature of the BG86 instead of going for the BG56 or the Husq 125B...

Anyway, I think that's pretty good to get started... The trimmer in particular seems goldilocks as I don't think I have the skills for anything more powerful just yet

Again - thanks for the advice - it was all very helpful.
    You’ve done well and you’ll b fine. As Andy B said, should be a good spring. ����

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast