Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identifying runner type grasses

Default Identifying runner type grasses

I am stumped as to how to differentiate between Kikuyu, cooch and buffalo grass. I always lump them all together as runner type grasses(warm season grasses). I tend to just call them all cooch but I really have no idea and it concerns me that some selective herbicides affect some and not other grasses. Anyone got a good resource on the web that may help or any of their own tips?

Default Re: Identifying runner type grasses

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I am stumped as to how to differentiate between Kikuyu, cooch and buffalo grass. I always lump them all together as runner type grasses(warm season grasses). I tend to just call them all cooch but I really have no idea and it concerns me that some selective herbicides affect some and not other grasses. Anyone got a good resource on the web that may help or any of their own tips?
    Couch is much finer than the other two.
    Kik is in the middle & buffalo is usually the thickest, most coarse, although there is now varieties that are much softer.
    If you look at the stems of some of the buffalo, they have a red tinge.
    Should be heaps on the net.
    Down here the predominant specie is Kik but, we also have a fair bit of couch & buffalo.
    During the drought, species of buffalo were sprooked as being the best in this regard.
    Years ago buffalo was extremely coarse, when you sat on it in shorts, it would leave indentations on the back of your legs.
    Remember the days of the old school yard?
    Cheers Fred.

we used to laugh a lot. Thanks Fred. I'm going to take more care in future because I read Dicamba can affect buffalo. I use dicamba/mcpa as a general purpose broadleaf.

We have mainly buffalo up here as the couch doesn't handle the dry season at all. Just started using Kamba M with great results and just ordered a 20 litre this arv (only stock 1 litres) Use it on buffalo even though it says not to use on buffalo grass. A bit like fish I suppose - depends on where you live to what they call things.

Never had issues with Kamba on Buffalo grass, We have a good supplier with good prices down here that makes the stuff on site as well as some other really good stuff.
    http://www.superway.com.au/
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Javelin/spearhead is good on just about everything too fwiw
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Dicamba & MCPA will bugger up Buffalo lawn here in SA. It'll go yellow & bits will die but will eventually grow back. Spray a Buffalo lawn with the wrong chemical here and you chance loosing that job. I've been using Bin die.
    It pays to know your grasses as could be a bit embarrassing if a potential customer asks you what turf they have and you haven't a clue.

I dont mean to sound harsh but mate you really need to be able to tell what type of grass is what. Calling Kik and Buff couch just doesnt fly. If you want to be seen as a professional learn what type of grasses we have. If you dont know what it is look it up and learn about it. Spend the time learning and it will reward you threefold. Being a lawnie has some prerequisites as far as I am concerned. Knowing what type of grass you are mowing and its care is pretty high up on the list.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Well said blue.... hows the canoe coming along

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I dont mean to sound harsh but mate you really need to be able to tell what type of grass is what. Calling Kik and Buff couch just doesnt fly. If you want to be seen as a professional learn what type of grasses we have. If you dont know what it is look it up and learn about it. Spend the time learning and it will reward you threefold. Being a lawnie has some prerequisites as far as I am concerned. Knowing what type of grass you are mowing and its care is pretty high up on the list.
    Totally agree, which is why i started this thread. Apart from fred's post I'm no wiser.

IMG_0344.JPG

I pulled this up from my garden. According to fred's description I reckon its couch. ANyone agree or diagree? Anyone able and willing to post some pics of buffalo and kik?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bugger it, dunno how that mower photo got in. The couch pic is the little one.

Cynodon dactylon Botanical name for couch grass. A good idea for you is what you have done . Take a photo and tell us what you think it is, and we will help. Im pretty sure the other picture is a lawn mower

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Funny thing it's not even my mower. It's a pic i copied from the forum and saved for future reference. I know there not runner grasses but I came across these two weeds today. The grass was really thick with them. Anyone know what they might be? The one with the fibrous roots has a silver look to it. The other has a tap root. Neither had flowers. joes weed 040714.jpgjoes 040714.jpg

that mower looks familiar....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast